Skip to main content
Topic: What's Going on in China? (Read 89570 times)

Re: What's Going on in China?

Reply #100
Of course that rural condition by itself is not a cause of suicide. That graph is manipulative.
It most been done to attract more cheap labour to cities. Come meet happiness...
A matter of attitude.

Reply #101
Seems there was trouble and protests in the Republic of China because their government in Taipei were discussing trade with the mainland.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #102

Of course that rural condition by itself is not a cause of suicide. That graph is manipulative.
It most been done to attract more cheap labour to cities. Come meet happiness...

Misery is not in itself a cause of suicide. The mechanisms of suicide are complex, there are several factors that have to coincide. Thus no universal Theory of Suicide, we have unreliable statistics compounded by unreliable and poorly understood mechanisms.

Personally I find it fascinating the claim that the more happy and content the general population is, the more miserable the unhappy discontents are. More practical, it seems that small changes that reduce the means of suicide for those in such a state that they would consider it have a large impact. Changing the (sub)culture can have an effect too. Many cultures romanticise or otherwise empower suicide, and they have higher suicide rates, e.g. Goth and Emo cultures, but you get issues of causality and so on. Force-feeding them ABBA would probably not help.

Agrarian societies tend to be stacked in favour of men, and Chinese rural women have had their share of misery. There is plenty of misery in the cities as well, but women are more empowered there. This is part of a global phenomena. Traditionally men went to the city to find work to supplement their rural income, this has been turned around and women in greater numbers than men leave the countryside for education and work, and they stay there, leaving the aging men behind while the women take over the cities from within.

Reply #103
Agrarian societies tend to be stacked in favour of men, and Chinese rural women have had their share of misery.

Remember watching a documentary in the interior of China where society was matriarchal and polygamist.
The woman had all the property, houses and cattle, and she also worked. Her men just sit at the house entrance and smoked.
They lived happily.

Chinese repressive authorities wanted to finish with their lifestyle. No wonder suicide rates to raise at such remote locations.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #104
China is a big place, the size of the USA, twice the size of the EU, and with a lot more variety than either. However matriarchy is rare, so when you refer to that it is fairly easy to guess the tribe in question, in the region where China, Indo-China, and India meet.

Here's a British program on another Chinese tribe.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZgUyjzPSh8[/video]

Reply #105
Here's a British program on another Chinese tribe.

"Where did a million Chinese millionaires comes from"

:)
I'm tired of millionaires, wherever they come from they're all equal. What a plague.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #106

I'm tired of millionaires, wherever they come from they're all equal.

If one is tired of spaghetti, presumably you've had too much of it.

How many millionaires have you met to make you tired of them? I've met one, and that was only once. I'm not tired of him. Hell, it was only once, so how can one become tired of having met one millionaire once. You are an amazing person.

Reply #107
You are an amazing person.

Yes I am, thank you. :)
How many millionaires have you met to make you tired of them? I've met one, and that was only once. I'm not tired of him. Hell, it was only once, so how can one become tired of having met one millionaire once.

Is it so difficult to find millionaires there?
Had you told me that before and I would had made a meet-a-millionaire business there. On a second thought, glad I didn't, that would make me one more irritating millionaire.

You see, I have this thing against new money and social alpinism.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #108
Taiwan: Kaohsiung rocked by underground blasts
A series of suspected gas explosions that shook Greater Kaohsiung from late Thursday night to early yesterday morning claimed at least 26 lives and injured 269 people.

The blasts tore through the city’s roads and dug a 100m trench up to 1.8m deep. At least 1.5km of roadways were damaged.

Cars and fire trucks were trapped and overturned in the rubble. Vehicles were hurled through the air, landing on the roofs of houses. Flames erupted from manholes after their covers were blasted off, with gouts of fire reaching 15 stories high.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gzJtYkVtsw[/video]

Reply #109
Chinese construction at it's best...
I also like the amount of buildings that's tries to compete with the Pisa Tower.
Highways through houses also seems to me an original and creative concept.

I wait for the day we have here a Chinese...
A matter of attitude.

Reply #110
No construction anywhere can withstand the force of a large gas explosion. Why there was an explosion in the first place is a different question that a lot of Taiwanese will be asking.

Deadly days. Across the Strait and beyond Shanghai there has been a huge factory explosion in Kunshan. We're talking Gaza (if not Syria) level of fatalities.

Reply #112

I also like the amount of buildings that's tries to compete with the Pisa Tower.

Don't let you misguided by the perspective distortion of the photo. (another example)

Highways through houses also seems to me an original and creative concept.

Highway with cross-walk? That doesn't seem to be a highway.
Multi-lane roads are a necessity in big-city traffic unless you ban cars.

Reply #113

Can't find the image of a highway that goes through a hole in the middle of a house....
A matter of attitude.

Reply #115
Iirc those images are from the PRC, not the ROC.  :P

I don't know what PRC and ROC means. I also don't know what lirc means.
You shouldn't use acronyms, that's an American mania and obsession. :P

That and reducing people's names to half.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #116
If I recall correctly those images are from the People's Republic of China, not the Republic of China (Taiwan).

Reply #117
The fallen buildings are from the People's Republic of China.
Never, ever buy a Chinese construction. Or anything else.

Have you ever smoked Chinese contrafaction cigarettes? it even has pieces of plastic inside.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #118
We (at least Frenzie and me) had this discussion in one of the better threads in old D&D. The construction is actually impressively good. Given the stress the building was exposed to, it has held up quite well.

The foundation work, or the lack of it, by the developer is a wholly different story.

Reply #119

We (at least Frenzie and me) had this discussion in one of the better threads in old D&D. The construction is actually impressively good. Given the stress the building was exposed to, it has held up quite well.

The foundation work, or the lack of it, by the developer is a wholly different story.

:faint:
Ok, now you know it, just buy the upper part of Chinese constructions... they are really good at it. Who cares about foundations anyway...

You know, I was a real estate developer for more than twenty years, here something like that would put you in prison immediately.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #120
As was the case in China. In 2010 the developer got life in prison and confiscation of personal property, as did the second largest shareholder and government official. Four others got 3-5 years.

Reply #121
As was the case in China. In 2010 the developer got life in prison and confiscation of personal property, as did the second largest shareholder and government official. Four others got 3-5 years.

I see, besides being magnificent builders they also have advanced and efficient justice systems. What a paradise.
How could I be so wrong about them for all those years...

One day I should visit them. Who knows, I can fall in love with a sweet Chinese girl and have a lot of adorable little half-Chinese Belfragers... :)
That would be a nice way of getting old.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #122
 :sing:
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #123

I wait for the day we have here a Chinese...

Eager for a new cooking recipe? :)
The Portuguese had established a management culture of violent domination and abuse in India. However, this did not go down well with Brazilian locals, who captured and ate their Portuguese ‘owners’ in complex ceremonies.

Joking aside - it's interesting to watch different perceptions of China depending on what they are based on - mass media or personal cognitions gathered at the face.

Reply #124
This is also a rather wide topic, covering the entire sinosphere, Chinese in Siberia aren't the same as Chinese in Indonesia.

For part Portugese you should go to Macau, the Macanese have a significant Portuguese mix-in. Macau is also expanding with the lease of Hangqin island, potentially quadrupling in size, though starting small.

Macau's expansion into Hengqin gives Hong Kong cause for reflection
Hong Kong frets about lagging behind whenever our neighbours roll out eye-catching policies or take steps different from ours. That explains why a request by the Macau government for more land on the mainland island of Hengqin for development immediately fuelled calls for the city to follow suit. The suggestion may sound far-fetched for the conventional-minded, but it triggers reflection on our development strategies and competitiveness.

The two cities share similarities. Both have moved from being colonial outposts of Western powers to modern cities with special autonomy under Chinese rule. Cross-border integration in both places is growing, as is the social tension it causes. Yet the two are different, not just in terms of size, population and strengths. The different socio-political situations mean the two governments have different priorities.

Prompted by a fast-expanding economy, tiny Macau has come up with the novel idea of spilling some of its facilities and commerce onto the neighbouring island, over which it has no jurisdiction. This includes paying HK$1.2 billion to rent a square kilometre of the island for 40 years for an extension of the University of Macau. A request for more land for development has already been made to Beijing.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbcmAtQnF3Q[/video]

As for sweet Chinese girls the competition is rather hard, and looks set to be harder.