Do you care about news?

Mostly global.
[ 3 ] (60%)
Local/national.
[ 1 ] (20%)
Mostly beer :beer: :cheers:
[ 1 ] (20%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Topic: Just In from CNN :)  (Read 15996 times)

Just In from CNN :)

Drop here anything that worth noticing though doesn't fit into the "bad" or "good" category.
Not restricted to that mentioned in the title, unless you know :)

1. Oscar Pistorius denies murder

Re: Just In from CNN :)

Reply #1
If he denies it, it must be true. Such a beautiful woman. Rest easy beautiful woman.

Reply #2
The United States is the greatest threat to world peace. That’s the finding of an end-of-the- year, WIN/Gallup International survey of people in 65 countries.
Of the 66,000 people polled, just under a quarter named Uncle Sam as the greatest threat to world peace.
Other menaces didn’t even come close: 8 percent named Pakistan, putting that country in second place, while 6 percent named China. A mere 4 percent found Iran threatening — which tied it with Israel.

Sadly, I find myself in agreement with the majority. I will say that comparing the threat posed by countries like Pakistan and Iran is a bit of a snoozer. To be a threat, a country has to have the wherewithal to pose a threat.

China, which could pose a regional threat, is hardly a worldwide threat. Russia with its vast power could pose a more local threat to its neighbors, but it isn't active globally. And so far Putin hasn't laid down any silly red lines like Mr. Obamanation.

The US has its finger in far too many pies.

Reply #3
Fair points.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #4
The following snippet from a New York Times editorial by Senator John McCain on President Putin makes claims that are bound to be controversial. Since I claim no expertise on Russia or its President, I'll leave it to others here to render judgement.

Should Russia’s invasion and looming annexation of Crimea be blamed on President Barack Obama? Of course not, just as it should not be blamed on NATO expansion, the Iraq war or Western interventions to stop mass atrocities in the Balkans and Libya. The blame lies squarely with Vladimir V. Putin, an unreconstructed Russian imperialist and K.G.B. apparatchik.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/15/opinion/mccain-a-return-to-us-realism.html?action=click&contentCollection=Opinion&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&pgtype=article

Reply #6

Should Russia’s invasion and looming annexation of Crimea be blamed on President Barack Obama? Of course not, just as it should not be blamed on NATO expansion, the Iraq war or Western interventions to stop mass atrocities in the Balkans and Libya. The blame lies squarely with Vladimir V. Putin, an unreconstructed Russian imperialist and K.G.B. apparatchik.

* Iraq case solved. Did you bother to look up what's going on there?
* The Balkans solved. Serbia bombed into the past.
It was because Serbia was not carrying out the required social and economic reforms, meaning it was the last corner of Europe which had not subordinated itself to the US-run neoliberal programs, so therefore it had to be eliminated. That's from the highest level. source

No hard feelings, just asking. Who would come closer to your intellectual demands, Chomsky or McCain. Just asking since you're quoting the latter.
BTW, still NATO troops in Kosovo.
* Libya case solved. Did you bother to look up what's going on there?

Sarah Palin: stop Putin with nukes
The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

John McCain or Sarah Palin, they all look the same if viewed from distance.

I can only hope that I won't have to read McCain's mumbo jumbo in German media too.

Reply #7
Holy Moly, Batman, that's a handful. I don't usually take me very seriously, so....
Palin and McCain are both clowns.
I pick Chomsky because he's much closer to my comfort zone.
Had no outsider intruded in Iraq, today it would be a virtual Garden of Eden. One thing is certain in my mind: The US should not have been there. Nor should have the United Kingdom, Australia, Poland, the Republic of Korea, Italy, Georgia, Ukraine, Netherlands or Spain.

Some of our clowns are still active. This clip is from a recent Time magazine piece.
Former defense secretary Robert Gates says Congress “probably”
should have declared war on Iraq before invading in 2003, and added that it should do the same before any attack on Iran.
Gates is running around pimping a new book, Duty: Memoirs of a Secretary at War.

As to "I can only hope that I won't have to read McCain's mumbo jumbo in German media too", you can always turn the page, go to another website, or switch channels.

Reply #8
Senator McCain tops the list of utter balloons that gives America a bad name. He looks and sounds utterly stupid.

Reply #9
Palin is a comedian for anybody with an IQ higher than room temperature. Few take her seriously.

Reply #10

Senator McCain tops the list of utter balloons that gives America a bad name. He looks and sounds utterly stupid.
I guess in the UK you don't as much Palin news as we do. He's a genius compared to her. Thank (insert deity) she didn't become vice-president.

Reply #12

Some of our clowns are still active. This clip is from a recent Time magazine piece.
Former defense secretary Robert Gates says Congress “probably”
should have declared war on Iraq before invading in 2003, and added that it should do the same before any attack on Iran.

Gates is right about one thing: If we're going to do war at all right, let the President go before Congress and get a declaration of war. Otherwise, we get caught up in all of these "police actions" that get men killed and sully the name of the US for little reason--- and not much support either.

Maybe if Congress told the President that we're tired of being the world's Mommy, and refused to sanction one of these things--- well, I suppose we can dream of the day.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #13
An attack on Iran? Why would we (or you) possibly want to attack Iran?

Reply #14

An attack on Iran? Why would we (or you) possibly want to attack Iran?

I've often wondered that when Katsung was saying just about everything that happens anywhere is a cover for going to war with Iran. He was hot about it, nobody else seems the least bit interested-- except maybe for the Israelis. Even they don't seem interested enough to start it themselves, they're trying to get the US to do it-- and so far, nada.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #16
And is Michigan next for attack as a certain man here has a beard and a funny hat.

Reply #19

I can only hope that I won't have to read McCain's mumbo jumbo in German media too.

As far as I can tell the Spiegel at least treats her babble as comedy. McCain not so much.

Reply #23
Did I just hear something?  :left:   :right:
No.
Because there was nothing from CNN. I mean I don't mind commenting - but you just please don't go too far for too long, ok? Because if a specific question emerges - and rolls over&over for much more than a handful of 'replies' - you know what? That means that such a question needs a thread - right?:)

Reply #24

I mean I don't mind commenting - but you just please don't go too far for too long, ok?

Just to make this absolutely clear - nobody gives a flying rat's ass what you do or don't mind. Nobody.