Skip to main content
Topic: Thanks and Question - PDF Viewing (Read 1911 times)

Thanks and Question - PDF Viewing

Thanks very much for your work.  I very much want a small modern (meaning safe, not bloated) browser that works quickly.  My question:  I spend a lot of time clicking on pages which load PDFs to view.  I can live with the old way of clicking and then having the pdf load in an external pdf viewer, but saving the pdf and then opening it is very time consuming.

Am I missing a better way to view PDF's rather than downloading and then opening them? 

Again, thanks for your work and good luck!

Re: Thanks and Question - PDF Viewing

Reply #1
I haven't tried it, but I imagine the "traditional" PDF plugin approach should work. But surely there's no need to choose a save location all the time?

Reply #2
I use Otter on two computers, one at home and one at work, same OS (Mageia 6) and both with QtWebKit alpha2. On both I set in Preferences->Advanced->Downloads the MIME-type "application/pdf" to open with "/usr/bin/okular".
On my home computer, all pdfs nicely open with Okular, but somehow, on my office computer, where I work a lot with pdfs, Otter almost always shows either a black page or a large Play-icon after clicking on the pdf link. Then mostly I can save the pdf-file manually to a folder, where I have to open it separately. Changing the download setting to another option like "Show download dialog" remains with the same effect.
Has anybody got an idea what can be the reason for that unwanted behaviour?

Reply #3
a large Play-icon after clicking on the pdf link
Sounds like there's a plugin at work, which default to "on demand" if I'm not mistaken. Ideally that'd be a per-plugin setting, but since these days we use very few plugins if any it might not matter. What happens if you click play?

Reply #4
Hey thanks, Frenzie, for the tip with the plugins! I noticed that on the home PC the packge nspluginwrapper was installed, but not on the office PC. Instead of installing the package on the latter machine, I recompiled QtWebKit with the following cmake command:
Code: [Select]
cmake -DPORT=Qt -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DENABLE_NETSCAPE_PLUGIN_API=OFF ../..
and it works. I guess that I won't need the Netscape plugin API, since I do not use Flash plugin.

What happens if you click play?
The play-icon just disappeared, nothing more.

By the way, in my package manager of the Mageia OS I noticed that it contains otter-browser. Well, it's version 0.9.12, more than a year old, but maybe some day it can become reasonable to install Otter from the repositories.