Skip to main content
Topic: Last but not least: Logo (Read 12224 times)

Re: Last but not least: Logo

Reply #25

@Luxor, I thought about this idea earlier but dismissed it since it could lead to malicious comments about otter that cannot swim. :-D

I can't imagine that happening and wouldn't be concerned about such a hypothetical misinterpretation. It would be a contradiction in itself. Otters are known to be good swimmers. A lifebelt would rather symbolize rescue from the sinking ship that is Opera. The otter would bring people that lifebelt.

Reply #26
@Somebody, but still it probably would look much like icon of khelpcenter. ;-)
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #27
@Emdek
You use Kubuntu primarily, right? In that case the similarity to Khelpcenter may seem disturbing indeed. But how about similarity to the old Netscape logo? (ship's navigation wheel) Hopefully it won't resemble Popeye imagery...

Reply #28
@ersi, anyway it's too late for drastic changes. ;-)

And that logo... It reminds me about pirates, not Popeye. :-)

Reply #29
When will it show up in the browser itself? :)

Reply #30
@Frenzie, not later than June 1st. ;-)

Reply #31
Well, how about that. It's 1 June and it's there. ;)

Reply #32
It is? I feel kind of left behind, as I am unable to compile the dev version. Or how should I call it? Git? Fresh source?

I heard some rumours on the internets that something changed in the release cycle. Is it weekly these days? Can package maintainers keep up with this? And code contributors? I personally seem unable to keep up :( at least I am doing my best to translate the strings.

The Arch/Manjaro repo package has not been updated at this turn of calendar month yet. I'm waiting for it to happen any minute now, but will it happen by itself?

Reply #33
@Frenzie, yes, it is, it might receive improvements in future, but is good enough:
https://github.com/Emdek/otter/blob/master/resources/icons/otter-browser-256.png

@ersi, new release will be published around 18:00 UTC (maybe a bit later, but for sure before midnight).
Well, we could say that weeklies are new monthlies, but still monthly releases are a bit more important.

I feel kind of left behind, as I am unable to compile the dev version.

You mean lack of development tools or compilation issues?

Reply #34

I feel kind of left behind, as I am unable to compile the dev version.

You mean lack of development tools or compilation issues?

Naturally I don't develop the thing myself. And I don't properly know what compilation means.

I mean installation issues. If it doesn't go by configure, make, and make install, then it's too difficult. And I have not tried even configure, make, and make install, because it's been easier to rely on the AUR package.

Reply #35
@ersi, sure, I guess that someone will update it sooner or later after official release.

Reply #36

Reply #37
may I ask why was, is it a mole or water bear taken as symbol ?

Reply #38
Otter is a common name for a carnivorous mammal in subfamily Lutrinae. The 13 extant otter species are all semiaquatic, aquatic or marine, with diets based on fish and invertebrates. Lutrinae is a branch of the weasel family Mustelidae, which also includes weasels, martens, minks, polecats, Eurasian and American badgers, honey badgers and wolverines.

Reply #39
oooh I see...
we should have that badger alike animal biting the big "O"
like mouse bites cheese :D