Skip to main content
Topic: Last but not least: Logo (Read 12196 times)

Last but not least: Logo

Otter browser has no distinctive emblem to tell it apart from other apps in people's computers. By Beta release (due in 21 days from now) this should be fixed, if the project is to catch wider attention. Shall we arrange a contest? Will Emdek accept one of DnD's leftover logos when none better is found? Or is there some secret choice already hidden in the backpocket for surprise?

Re: Last but not least: Logo

Reply #1
There is ticket for that. ;-)
https://github.com/Emdek/otter/issues/16
Logo is not ready yet but should be done (at least in almost final form) before beta.
Hopefully some kind of preview version could be shown earlier.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #2
The icon that I set for Otter in the above image is one of the many variants of Manjaro logo that just lies around in the computer. It's not used for anything that I have noticed yet. I will use it for Otter until there will be a real logo. Good to know there's one in the making :)

Reply #3
i'd like the red O, like opera.
the otter placed in it.
Fortuna fortes juvat.

Reply #4
Like the Whisker menu logo, but with a red O around it?

Reply #5
Sure.
Fortuna fortes juvat.

Reply #6
Judging from DnD's logo, this forum is the worst place in the world to discuss logos.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #7
@jasonliul, red "O" would be too similar to that used by Opera...
We will use blue instead.

Reply #8
LOL, Red is more sexy, but of course Blue fit otter.

There're many unofficial Opera logo design,i mean, just change red to blue, put otter in it.
Should be novel & style.
Fortuna fortes juvat.

Reply #9
Before posting possibilities, do a Google image search on "otter logo".  There are hundreds out there and a new logo should be unique.
Industrial Engineer, Restauranteur, Graphic Designer, Shareware Author and Genealogist.  Computer user since 1977.
Custom desktop, Win 7, Intel I7, 8gb, 3tb drive total, 1mb Nvidia & Dell XPS-17 laptop, Win 7, Intel I7, 8gb, 512gb SSD, 1tb WD drive.

Reply #11
OK,  preview of icon is now available:
https://github.com/Emdek/otter/issues/16#issuecomment-37970349
Keep in mind that it's not finished yet, but constructive criticism is welcome.

Reply #12
The O looks familiar—perhaps too familiar?

Reply #13
I like the Otter, maybe you could make the O look like a lifebelt.
Just throwing that in there because the image of an Otter popping it's head through a lifebelt brings a smile to my face.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #15
I concur with the life-belt idea. I'd also like some greater degree of stylisation/schematisation of the image and making the colours plain as per normal rules of heraldics. With the life-belt, the result should move a bit away from the look of Opera logo towards this thing (disregard the colours):

Reply #16
"Ot" - different colours, maybe, where "t" is a cartoon otter leaning to the big "O" with his head laid on his hand (the left bar of "t" is his arm with his elbow set against the "O" wall).

Reply #17
@Luxor, I thought about this idea earlier but dismissed it since it could lead to malicious comments about otter that cannot swim. :-D

@Frenzie, it's just a letter, AFAIK nobody patented it yet. ;-)
It would be hard to replace it with something round (other than lifebuoy), I was thinking about rippling water shaped like O but that would be damn hard to be drawn correctly...

@ersi, maybe as alternate, simplified version, web browsers usually have more detailed icons (Opera being kind of exception, because it's kind of hard to add details to simple letter).

@josh, that could be a good idea for some promotional artwork, but as icon it would have lots of empty space in the middle (empty "O") and would be too tall (unless "O" would be put horizontally instead of vertically), meaning lots of empty space on the sides as icons are square.

Reply #18
@ersi, maybe as alternate, simplified version, web browsers usually have more detailed icons (Opera being kind of exception, because it's kind of hard to add details to simple letter).
I realise that there's a difference between artwork and a logo. And maybe there's a further distinction to an icon (such as a website icon displayed near address bar in browsers). Otter should have them all!

Reply #19
@Luxor, I thought about this idea earlier but dismissed it since it could lead to malicious comments about otter that cannot swim. :-D

That's a shame.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #20
Hi there.

Can i suggest another icon for Otter than an Opera like O logo? I thought a rook icon, as Otter will be a bastion of the free internet. (Or maybe the last bastion, if the net heads this way...)

Just an idea.

Reply #21
As we are still waiting for the logo, I have this little enhancement suggestion:

The Help --> About Application popup is logoless the same as the entire app is logoless. It would be nice to display there whatever the user specifies in otter-browser.desktop file. This way the text "Web browser controlled by the user, not vice-versa" would have a real empowering feel to it.

Also, I would like the text in that popup be selectable and copiable. Thanks :)

Reply #22
We are living in a crazy world :)
While QT modules lack basic features (OK, it's not Emdek's fault), people are crazed for a logo  ::)

Reply #23
Why not open a contest for the logo ?

Reply #24
@ersi, sure, it's planned from beginning.
@krake, it will be different with QtWebEngine, since by default it will use the same network stack as Chromium, I'm not sure how it will end up, but for sure it will take lots of time to be fully usable (so while it will have advanced features internally they won't be exposed by API...).
@The Solutor, it's a bit late now to do that, we will stick to that done by Walerian-info and improve it later.