Skip to main content
Topic: Time display (Read 8204 times)

Time display

You'll notice I'm running an experiment with ISO-8601, but I realize it may not be the most easily readable format. I suppose the default format wasn't too horrible, except I'd make it 24h and possibly add day of the week.

Default:
November 21, 2013, 08:04:15 PM
Today at 09:35:56 AM

Example proposal 1:
Tue 26 Nov 2013 23:52:12

(That's the format I use on my personal computer, by the way.)

The Unix timestamp is related to quick quote functionality. The forum itself works with a server round-trip, but I think that's ridiculous. I can hide it somewhere out of sight if desired but actually I kind of like it. Also, it would allow people to tap into it to change their personal time display with a UserJS if they wanted.

Re: Time display

Reply #2
ׂ

Reply #3
Besides enabling straightforward sorting (where applicable)

Yes, for that purpose I always use 2013-11-27.
I don't get why this is an issue since most forums allow the display to be configurable per account.

Oh, right you are. Still, I think a better default is needed than something with AM/PM.

Reply #4
Frans, why not losing the "0" in most of the appearances?
That is: "09 December", "December 09", etc. I was forced to choose the YYYY-MM-DD format for the purpose of not seeing that damn dangling naught.
By the way, I've encountered sites where I was able to choose the format in a very wide range - including the separators!:sherlock:  It means: I could use "YYYY-MM-DD", "YYYY/MM/DD", and so such...

Reply #6
Gosh! So many letters!:wow:

Yes, like that. And it seems to me that I did some workout myself on one of those sites to contrive an appearance I'd have liked...  All those capital/non-capital letters...
Though, there was some stuff, material to compare, I guess. Maybe I'll return to such pondering about when and if I get bored with this current stuff I've set here. For example, I'd like "Dec. 9, 2013; time", or such. Something with which the eye is familiar to discern at once.

Reply #7
I like 131210 as today's dates for computer purposes and use it in the file name of documents I store. It has the advantage of arranging docs easily in the right order. I was introduced to this by a Swedish Boss at a place where I worked who decreed the system to avoid confusion between the American method of month-day-year and the European method of day-month-year. I found it useful and adopted it myself.

Reply #9

I like 131210 as today's dates for computer purposes and use it in the file name of documents I store. It has the advantage of arranging docs easily in the right order. I was introduced to this by a Swedish Boss at a place where I worked who decreed the system to avoid confusion ............

I agree ...... especially for sorting purposes, & visually once understood/recognized, it's a 'no-brainer'.

A clear choice.

Reply #10
Time display is for what?
I need no time display for nothing.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #12
I've found that the separators are the easiest part here:
Current forum time: 2013 12\20, 19:03:00

Now I'm going to try Frans's "%e".

Reply #14
Frans, is there a possibility to omit the space with "%e"?
Quote from: strftime
Day   ---   ---
%a   An abbreviated textual representation of the day   Sun through Sat
%A   A full textual representation of the day   Sunday through Saturday
%d   Two-digit day of the month (with leading zeros)   01 to 31
%e    Day of the month, with a space preceding single digits. Not implemented as described on Windows. See below for more information.    1 to 31
%j   Day of the year, 3 digits with leading zeros   001 to 366
%u   ISO-8601 numeric representation of the day of the week   1 (for Monday) though 7 (for Sunday)
%w   Numeric representation of the day of the week   0 (for Sunday) through 6 (for Saturday)
???

Reply #16
It's built-in PHP stuff. But what's the problem with an extra space? HTML collapses spaces anyway.

Reply #18
I deem it somehow relevant to this thread. Somehow.
What about if the time display in the header was customisable?
I'm wondering if it's meaningful to consider embedding a real ticking clock somewhere on the page (so, if it was that in the header, a user could choose if to display a static set or the embed) -- will it be potential of getting some trouble to the site functionality?

Reply #19
I don't quite follow. The time display in the header is already customizable. And if you want to see the current time, don't you have a clock on your computer somewhere? :P

Reply #21
The time display in the header

The time display in the header it's one hour earlier. It s not 22:43 but 23:43.
We must define the official DnD time and it only can be Greenwich Meridian time. So put it right.
And why my post says 18:47??? are you following Timbuktu time zone??
A matter of attitude.