Skip to main content
Topic: NATO nonsense (Read 50141 times)

Re: NATO nonsense

Reply #325
Surely you know the difference between news programs and punditry?
Perhaps the fact that I explicitly wrote "Fox News opinion shows" might provide a hint that I didn't mean the news desk. But what exactly is your point?

Reply #326
That the host of the podcast ersi posted the link to — does not make that distinction, like many of his compatriots. :)
Would you agree that that's disingenuous?
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #327
I suppose that depends on your view of what Fox News is. There are at least three of them. There's the website, which is basically a (mediocre) newspaper. There's the TV news, which is fairly crap but not really more so than TV news as a general category (although e.g. DW is definitely better). And as @ersi said, there's that with which Fox News wants to be associated first and foremost: https://www.foxnews.com/shows

So in short, not really, except in the sense that most of them probably don't really give a darn as long as it brings in viewers.

Reply #328
That the host of the podcast ersi posted the link to — does not make that distinction, like many of his compatriots. :)
YOU, OakdaleFTL, are failing to distinguish between news and opinion. Look what you said about the podcaster at first:

( [...] Idiots gotta idiot, occasionally, else they lose their liberal creds! But such bias was merely a momentary distraction. The MSM is also addicted to such; I take it for what it is, and mostly just leave it there.)
You accuse him of bias! The accusation would make sense, if he were somehow obligated to avoid bias. But he is not. And his alleged idiocy would be something to worry about, if it were his duty to be free from idiocy. But he has no such duty. He is just a half-naked youtuber. By my standards, not a pundit, much less a journalist. Newsflash: You did not see news there!

A journalist is under obligation to minimise bias when reporting, i.e. conveying actual events, and minimise commentary. A pundit provides commentary and analysis, where biases necessarily creep in, which is why it's called opinion and not reporting.

But this guy is just a "professional youtuber" as they come these days. A "professional youtuber" can do anything on the platform, comment on world events if he wants, political or not, have a virtual party with pals, upload random nonsense, use youtube just to advertise companies/products/views that pay, simply beg for money in every video etc. No obligation to avoid bias.

You fail to distinguish between a lot more than just news and opinion. You have been unfortunately raised by American mainstream media, who themselves cannot distinguish between news/reporting and commentary/opinion, and that's why you yourself do not know the difference.

I'm sure you have seen Jon Stewart (Comedy Central) interviewed by Chris Wallace (Fox News) and Stephen Colbert (Comedy Central) by Bill O'Reilly (Fox News). In those interviews, the Comedy Central guys were accused of liberal bias! The "news" hosts (pundits really) cannot distinguish between non-journalism (such as political comedy) and journalism! According to themselves in their own show, Chris Wallace and Bill O'Reilly were "reporting", which is absolutely NOT what they do. They *comment* and give *opinion*. But yeah, they are Americans, so let's just forgive them.

And you too, you absolutely fail to distinguish between news and opinion. It's okay, it's part of being American, but I will definitely keep pointing out how deeply mistaken you are.

Reply #329
Thanks for the tip on DW! (Television news is almost a misnomer... :) ) I'll certainly give it a try..
进行 ...

Reply #330
Newsflash: You did not see news there!
I beg to differ: First person experience -which the YouTuber's guest provided- is a necessary element of parsing the news.

(Although your two examples, of Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert being interviewed by the likes of Wallace and O'Reilly, wouldn't have interested me: While I have known people who take Stewart and Colbert seriously (e.g., believe their jokes are made using real news), these acquaintances of mine are mostly young and quite uninterested in much... :) The most blatant example of such was prompted by an SNL skit, where Tina Fey had Republican VP nominee Sarah Palin saying she "could see Russia from her back porch!" Ha-ha! A great many Democrats of my acquaintance believed the nominee said it! Go figure.)

My point was not an accusation of bias, per se, but an observation of a phenomenon quite pronounced and firmly entrenched in the culture of today's Democratic Party. Of course, many people call themselves independant; even some members of Congress! (Note: Do any Independants caucus with the Republicans? :) ) But the presumed view among right-thinking idiots is liberal, as defined by the Party. No matter how illiberal the view is.

Had you any comment on Dave Bowman's podcast?
进行 ...

Reply #331
Newsflash: You did not see news there!
I beg to differ: First person experience -which the YouTuber's guest provided- is a necessary element of parsing the news.
It does not make the interview a newspiece. It is not news. It is not reporting. It is two dudes chatting, one on camera, another on audio only. The interviewer is not a journalist. Begging won't help you.

([...] an SNL skit, where Tina Fey had Republican VP nominee Sarah Palin saying she "could see Russia from her back porch!" Ha-ha! A great many Democrats of my acquaintance believed the nominee said it! Go figure.)
Sarah Palin actually said it. She confirmed it and elaborated on it in an interview with Katie Couric. Everybody knows this, so certainly you know it too.

My point was not an accusation of bias, per se, but an observation of a phenomenon quite pronounced and firmly entrenched in the culture of today's Democratic Party.
And even this is wrong. It is an all-national tragedy. You are a prime example of it.

I'm sure that lots of Democrats and fans of Democrats take Jon Stewart as their source of what they assume to be news, opinion, and analytical worldview, but the exact same thing is going on on the Republican side - all the way up to Fox News pundits who are unable to distinguish punditry from reporting and non-journalism such as political comedy (where the very point is to play on and fool around with biases) from journalism. As you very well know, since you know so much, Reagan is to blame on this one.

Had you any comment on Dave Bowman's podcast?
I have a different question to you: Who is Tulsi Gabbard? (I know who Tulsi Gabbard is. But I am interested in your opinion along right/left/centrist lines, views and opinions on policies etc. I want to know how she is perceived in America.)

Reply #332
Sarah Palin actually said it.
Except — she didn't. Tina Fey did. Was Couric's source -prompting the question- "common knowledge"? (I.e., people saw Tina Fey say it! And they repeated what they'd seen...? :) )

(I'll search for the interview, now that you've got me interested...)[1]

Does "news" have to come with an imprimatur?
Interesting! The SNL "interview" and the CBS Exclusive are both on YouTube! Notice anything odd?
But no worries: The actual video is available...even though YouTube (Google) puts the same URL in my address bar!
See 9:18 - 10:37 of the real one; 2:50 - 3:45 of the fake...
Which did you watch?)
进行 ...

Reply #333
Sarah Palin actually said it.
Except — she didn't. Tina Fey did. Was Couric's source -prompting the question- "common knowledge"? (I.e., people saw Tina Fey say it! And they repeated what they'd seen...? :) )
Had it been some sort of non-existent delusion, Sarah Palin could have corrected it when asked about it. But what did Sarah Palin do when asked about it? She confirmed it and elaborated on it. She has been adamant about it more than once https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGSJCDw3ZBw (You do recognise the actual Sarah Palin, don't you? It's not some actress or deepfake or whatever.)

So, the source is Sarah Palin and anything contrary to it is a worthless partisan talking point.

You do it a lot, like Trump. Trump thinks that he can alter reality by just saying whatever bs.

The actual video is available...
Yes, it is available, always was. And you should be able to distinguish it from fakes. Since you found the actual interview, you have no more excuses.

Does "news" have to come with an imprimatur?
Journalism is a specific profession and a specific business area with specific requirements, some of which, namely the difference between reporting and opinion or punditry, I laid out for you just above. Yes, journalism has journalistic characteristics.

You quipped to Frenzie that there is a difference between news and opinion, but really you are demonstrating that you know nothing about it.[1] Hang around here for some more years and you may eventually come to understand how to recognise actual journalism from half-naked youtubers and comedy skits. Maybe we will have sufficient patience with you.
I know from IRC and other interactions that it is a general problem with Americans. Pretending to know all about mainstream media while knowing nothing about it is a general American thing. You are just being American - this is the way I understand you.

Reply #334
Quite the remarkable (and typical) screed... :)

It's difficult to distinguish which came first, the anti-Americanism or the pretentious know-it-all-ism! But it's not quite a chicken-and-egg situation. Since you couch your barbs in the guise of observations, I'll reply in kind:
The Europeans have always looked down their noses at America. Their history makes them all-but incapable of escaping the silly class structures that color their world view, and they readily revert to denigrating their fellow Europeans when America loses their limited attention! :)
But no matter. Never mind.

Why is there no thread about the current U.S. administration? (Not that I'm surprised...)

I was just reminded (by a former general officer appearing on a Fox News program[1]) that the Biden administration's first reaction to the Russian invasion of Ukraine was to offer Zelenskiy "a ride" out of town... President  Zelenskiy replied "I don't need a ride... I need weapons!"
Makes me wonder who's "side" the Biden administration is on...

Did that "news" ever get featured by European journalists?
The Lawrence Jones show called "Cross Country".
进行 ...

Reply #336
In my case, anti-Americanism is not an ideology. It is a factual assessment of how things are. There was a definite point when I turned anti-American. Before that point, I was thinking whether USA was generally good or generally evil and I was collecting information to arrive at a conclusion. Then I heard about Reagan's Star Wars and decided that this makes USA definitely evil.

Similarly, "Americans dumb" is not meant as an insult against you or Americans. Rather, it is a factual assessment of how things are. In every exchange between us it stands proven that, yes, Americans are dumb. Occasionally things get emotional because I feel genuinely insulted how dumb Americans are. But more often I take it as a wonderful opportunity to teach. I'm an old school type of teacher, with dunce hats, spanking and naughty corners in my arsenal.

Everything would be easier if we got facts straight as a basis of discussion. But with Americans it's worse: They do not know what *fact* is, as distinguished from opinion, such as in the latest example of distinguishing between news reporting and punditry. This particular point is very familiar to me, as I have been through this with a good number of Americans online.

Not knowing what fact an Sich is seriously hampers any meaningful exchange of ideas. Add to this the persistent failure of getting factual events straight[1] and it amounts to a total disrespect towards the very idea of meaningful exchange of ideas.

Americans do not exchange ideas, never meaningfully anyway. Rather, they "convince". Americans think the world works by them *making reality* by talking others into accepting the American point of view. This is extremely insulting, absolutely disrespectful against everybody non-American in the world. So, my constructive counter is: stop being so dumb, shape up, learn to exchange ideas meaningfully. It may be a torture to get you there, but trust me, it will be worth it. I've always been the more trustworthy among the two of us.

You may be curious about USSR too. About USSR I have known since birth that it is evil. It did not require any figuring whatsoever.
Such as that Sarah Palin indeed said that you can see Russia from Alaska. And Trump lost re-election and then incited his mob base to an insurrection against Congress on Jan 6, 2021. These things happened. But in USA it depends on your political party whether these things happened or not.

Reply #337
Occasionally things get emotional because I feel genuinely insulted how dumb Americans are. But more often I take it as a wonderful opportunity to teach. I'm an old school type of teacher, with dunce hats, spanking and naughty corners in my arsenal. [underlining added]
(Okay, okay... Okay — I think I've stopped laughing now! :) )
Feeling embarrassed for another's gaffes is presumptuous. Feeling insulted by another's presumed shortcomings is the epitome of hubris!
I guess I've found another example of the old adage: Those who can, do. Those that can't, teach. :)

Kantian metaphysics aside, determining fact from fiction, fact from opinion, is a real-world skill, my friend. And the ways one can go wrong making such determinations are myriad.
The appeal to authority is the most common. (When that authority is public opinion it is still unreliable...) The more sources one can use, the better — of  course. But group think is a hazard; and -you'd agree?- most of what "everybody knows" is woefully unsupported by argument and agreed-upon premises (if not actually demonstrably wrong!) to guarantee discord.

To take our recent example:
You (somehow) found the video interview conducted by that (what did you call him? :) ) "half naked YouTuber" and posted it... Perhaps you had a point to make? I'll not likely seek out other videos by him; but I assume his guest relayed his own impressions accurately. and I found his story interesting. (Not enlightening, because it wasn't surprising in any way.)
IIRC, you posted it right after I posted Dave Bowman's "First Strike" episode... (Although you could learn about the man himself via that internet-thingy, I'll mention that he spent most of his time in the U.S. Navy as a fire-control officer aboard a Boomer... He's not just some YouTuber.[1])
I take it your ire came from my observation that Fox News has a real news division. Just like, say, CNN used to have a real opinion division!

Sarah Palin said in her interview with Couric that, yes, as the governor of the U.S. state in closest proximity to Russia, she had occasion to interact with Russian officials...on trade, and other matters. (You do know, most of our presidents have been state governors?[2]) And, yes, that was likely more experience than most state governors (or senators!) had in dealing with the Russians.
But you like the caricature so much, you'd never admit it, eh? :)

I honestly didn't know SDI was the source of your "moral" outrage... I didn't know you were capable of such naivety! But, live and learn. (I well remember the Soviets' first response: How dare you try to defend yourself? It was almost considered an act of war!)
It did play a part in the regime's demise. Good enough for government work, I say.
About USSR I have known since birth that it is evil. It did not require any figuring whatsoever.
Imbibed with your mother's milk, eh? But your penchant for hyperbole is legendary! I take your point though: Anyone at all familiar with the Soviet regime would find all avenues of estimation would lead to that sad conclusion.

I trust you can distinguish between the regime and the people? I never hated Ruskies, and I don't hate Russians now. I do think Putin is an unnecessary hardship — for Russia, and its neighbors.
Likewise, I don't idealize Ukraine... (We'll hear more about that, when the Republicans re-take the House of Representatives.)

BTW: If you have an infallible source, you're delusional! :)
A wise Commander Spock once said "Understanding is not approval..." I'd add: Disapproval is not understanding...

Another example of your bias obviating your perception and your argument:
I remember -way back when- you scoffing at the movie Independence Day, because the heroic duo hacked the Alien ships using (gasp!) a Macintosh... But, since the alien ships had coordinated their attack using Earth's radio communications signals, any computer would have done the job, provided the hacker had the requisite knowledge of the system. Jeff Goldblum's character was -according to his mother- a glorified TV repairman! :)
And for years was a host of a radio program in my locality.
Perhaps you disapprove? You might prefer there be a school where future presidents are properly educated, perhaps... :)
进行 ...

Reply #338
Quite the remarkable (and typical) screed... :)

It's difficult to distinguish which came first, the anti-Americanism or the pretentious know-it-all-ism! But it's not quite a chicken-and-egg situation. Since you couch your barbs in the guise of observations, I'll reply in kind:
The Europeans have always looked down their noses at America. Their history makes them all-but incapable of escaping the silly class structures that color their world view, and they readily revert to denigrating their fellow Europeans when America loses their limited attention! :)

Why is there no thread about the current U.S. administration? (Not that I'm surprised...)

I was just reminded (by a former general officer appearing on a Fox News program) that the Biden administration's first reaction to the Russian invasion of Ukraine was to offer Zelenskiy "a ride" out of town... President  Zelenskiy replied "I don't need a ride... I need weapons!"
Makes me wonder who's "side" the Biden administration is on...

Did that "news" ever get featured by European journalists?

You are showing your age. There have been superiority and inferiority complexes, admiration and contempt, on both US and European sides through the entire history of the US. By now the relationship has matured and those younger than us have a fairly normal sideways view of the Trans-Atlantic relationship.

https://youtu.be/PoaOwSPJPHw?t=135&end=190

The generalisation "group X has always done Y against group Z" rarely apply for non-trivial values of X, Y, Z and "always". European anti-americanism has ebbed and flowed. With Trump gone it is currently at an ebb. The failure to come up with something resembling a green deal and a less than elegant withdrawal from Afghanistan did count against the Biden administration, but the masterful handling of the Ukraine crisis that became a full invasion has more than made up for that. And Ukraine and Russia are far closer to us than Afghanistan is. I am about 800 miles from Kyiv, Ersi 600 miles, and Frenzie 1100 miles. My cottage is further away from me than Kyiv is.

Unlike you, we followed the invasion in real time (well I did, but was hardly alone). The prevailing view (which I also subscribed to) was that Russia could take, but could not hold. As it turned out Russia couldn't take either, but that was less than obvious at the time.

Zelenskyy would be very valuable to Putin captured, less so dead, and a problem if alive and broadcasting, especially inside Ukraine. I thought he was brave but stupid to stay in Kyiv. Posting that video of himself outside in central Kyiv was show-off, an effective one.  The US offer came the night after, the Russians had taken Hostomel, and were getting closer to fully encircling Kyiv, It was a reasonable offer, but not a necessary one. And then the Russian advance in the north ran out of gas.

Reply #339
I do appreciate your views, jax; and those of ersi and Frenzie. And you make fair points... But I think I have a better grasp of the whither and whence we can expect from the Biden administration. "Masterful"! Really?
but the masterful handling of the Ukraine crisis that became a full invasion has more than made up for that

But Hi! Ho! Laddies and Jellybeans! RDC will ride to the rescue... Sort of!
The push for Europe to achieve strategic autonomy from the United States is being spearheaded by Macron, who, as part of his reelection campaign, apparently hopes to replace former German Chancellor Angela Merkel as the de facto leader of Europe.

Macron, who claims that NATO is "brain dead," argues that Europe needs its own military because, according to him, the United States is no longer a reliable ally. He cites as examples: U.S. President Joe Biden's precipitous withdrawal of American troops from Afghanistan; the growing pressure on Europe to take sides with the United States on China; and France's exclusion from a new security alliance in the Indo-Pacific region.

Even before Russia invaded Ukraine, many EU member states disagreed with Macron. Eastern European countries know that neither the EU nor France can match the military capabilities offered by NATO and the United States. Other countries are concerned about a panoply of issues ranging from financial costs to national sovereignty. Still others are opposed to creating a parallel structure to NATO that could undermine the transatlantic alliance.

Many EU countries insist on respecting former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright's famous "three Ds": no decoupling of European security from the United States and NATO; no duplicating capabilities and structures that already exist within NATO; and no discriminating against NATO members that are not members of the EU.

Yes, I admit I'm showing my age! Dag-nammit. :) Here's a stolen bit, to add to my mea culpa:
Before the Sixties, youthful elites were close enough to their patrimony to respect its intellect, energy, values and travail. Liberal guilt, such as it was, rarely went further left than Rockefeller Republican.
进行 ...

Reply #340
From my mailbox this morning:
The bottom line is Joe Biden — and most of the civilized world — wants to see Vladimir Putin out of power in Russia. More to the point: they want to see his regime changed and him most likely Gaddafi’d for his sins. And, to be frank, who can blame them?

There is just one problem: getting rid of Vlad means World War Three. And I can tell you from gaming out such a conflict countless times in simulators, such a conflict leaves tens of millions of people dead.

But let’s step back for a moment. I’m going to cut the president a little bit slack for saying out loud what we are all thinking. Biden surely was speaking from the heart, and he hasn’t been shy about calling President Putin every name in the book over the last few weeks either.

Considering Biden’s remarks, we do need to consider what has been a clear sea change in Russia policy due to Putin’s shocking invasion of Ukraine, which while warranted, could truly threaten Putin’s reign.

If you compile the tens of billions of dollars in military aid to Ukraine and the now trillions of dollars in mounting economic sanctions, the Russian state now faces the most serious crisis to its survival since Hitler invaded the old Soviet Union in 1941.

Six months from now, Russia’s economy could be on the verge of death, due not only to sanctions but also to the fact that most major companies want nothing to do with anything Russian-related: the reputational damage is too much to take on.

So in fact, yes, even if it was not intended, the combined actions of the planet to transform Russia into the new Nazi Germany means in the months to come, regime change will morph into the de facto goal. And Biden let the cat out of the bag.

But we all know such words — and those actions — will have consequences.

I chided ersi (above, Footnote 2.) so The End of History guy's say should be pertinent?
进行 ...

Reply #341
Kantian metaphysics aside, determining fact from fiction, fact from opinion, is a real-world skill, my friend.
Correct! This is why we are not giving up on you. You need to learn that skill.

You (somehow) found the video interview conducted by that (what did you call him? :) ) "half naked YouTuber" and posted it... Perhaps you had a point to make?
The point of the video is that the interviewee provides an insight into the rank-and-file editor role in journalism. Should be particularly interesting since the employer is RT.

The interviewee is a journalist talking about his work. And the half-naked youtuber is not a bad interviewer, but quite encouraging and gets the interviewee to open up.

But it does not make the video itself journalism. This form of youtubing is informal and casual. It is "professional" only in the narrow sense that the youtuber lives off of YT revenue.

When a plumber talks about plumbing, he is not doing plumbing.

I'll not likely seek out other videos by him; but I assume his guest relayed his own impressions accurately. and I found his story interesting. (Not enlightening, because it wasn't surprising in any way.)
Yes, this was the only modest point.

Here's another even less inspiring, insightful or enlightening interview with a Nato officer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v0abcM7x8w

In summer probably in year 99, 00 or 01 (now this year would be important to remember, but unfortunately I don't), I happened to encounter a Nato trooper from Italy. We found a common topic in geopolitics. He was adamant that Bin Laden was a real problem. I maintained that to say this indicates that one is very hard in the lookout for problems.

Since this was before the 9/11 attacks, I have often thought back to this discussion. Was he right that Bin Laden was a real problem (because some time later 9/11 happened) or is it right to conclude that Nato had found a target, was prepping soldiers for it and 9/11 had already been decided in advance, so to say? What do you think?

Sarah Palin said in her interview with Couric that, yes, as the governor of the U.S. state in closest proximity to Russia, she had occasion to interact with Russian officials...on trade, and other matters. (You do know, most of our presidents have been state governors?) And, yes, that was likely more experience than most state governors (or senators!) had in dealing with the Russians.
But you like the caricature so much, you'd never admit it, eh? :)
Of course living in a particular place gives one particular experience. I should know. I grew up in USSR, so I beat you any day when it comes to life in USSR.[1] The issue with Sarah Palin is only this: She said that you can see Russia from Alaska. She said so apart from any caricature or irony. It is merely factual to acknowledge that she said so.

You said that Sarah Palin had not said so; it was an SNL skit instead, a caricature. The fact is that *both* Sarah Palin and the SNL skit said so, and Sarah Palin said it first. To be honest, I had not even heard about the SNL skit before you mentioned it and linked to it. I had seen only the actual interviews with Sarah Palin.

In my European experience (and other Europeans here feel free to concur or debunk), SNL is one of those American culture elements that has no effect in Europe. I know that SNL is a massive cultural phenomenon in USA, and lots of American cultural phenomena, such as Hollywood movies, rock bands or hamburgers are commonplace in Europe(an awareness) too, but SNL is not among these. Hardly anyone in Europe knows that SNL exists or what it is. Another all-American thing that does not touch Europe at all is Superbowl.

I trust you can distinguish between the regime and the people?
Of course I can. The problem is that you cannot. You are a living embodiment of American wilful invincible ignorance and partisan bickering - without a reason to be any of it. You are not a government worker or a party official, and you are below middle class. So, given your actual social status, all your interests should be concentrated on making a decent living, instead of making apologies for the regime that has failed to provide for you in any way. Yet all you do is make apologies for the regime - even worse, demanding that the regime would not provide for anyone. This is highly curious, let's say.

I honestly didn't know SDI was the source of your "moral" outrage... I didn't know you were capable of such naivety! But, live and learn. (I well remember the Soviets' first response: How dare you try to defend yourself? It was almost considered an act of war!)
E.g. mobilisation is an act of war. Piling up troops to Ukraine's border under the pretext of military exercises was an aggressive move, even though it was not an attack until it became an attack. Well, wrt Ukraine, Russia had already attacked, annexed Crimea and separated Donbass.

Similarly, Reagan's last thrust to ramp up nuclear arms race was an actual battle in Cold War. It is silly to pretend that it was just about defense. USSR lost the final battle and the entire Cold War with it. The only possible excuse is that it was not a hot war.
This is a given of course. But the fact that I also beat you any day when it comes to USA should be quite worrisome to you.

Reply #342
In my European experience (and other Europeans here feel free to concur or debunk), SNL is one of those American culture elements that has no effect in Europe. I know that SNL is a massive cultural phenomenon in USA, and lots of American cultural phenomena, such as Hollywood movies, rock bands or hamburgers are commonplace in Europe(an awareness) too, but SNL is not among these. Hardly anyone in Europe knows that SNL exists or what it is. Another all-American thing that does not touch Europe at all is Superbowl.
It depends a bit on how broadly you define SNL. The Blues Brothers for example is a beloved movie, and various Tina Fey movies are quite popular as well. I suppose culturally speaking we should simply regard them as a form of Hollywood, but they did come out of SNL.

Reply #343
I do appreciate your views, jax; and those of ersi and Frenzie. And you make fair points... But I think I have a better grasp of the whither and whence we can expect from the Biden administration. "Masterful"! Really?

Really. You yourself gave several reasons why it was masterful. Countries, their leaders anyway, have interests. France's relationship with NATO was uneasy long before Macron. Macron is arguably one of the most pro-NATO presidents in history. France is also dead-set against any EU eastwards expansion. Never mind Ukraine and Turkey, even tiny Ex-Yugoslav republics about as far east as Italy, and west of Bulgaria, are a bit much for the French. The French talk of strategic autonomy is just that, French, but it is still EU policy. Most of us would read this as Europeans should better do European things in Europa, which people on both sides of the Atlantic should agree on. But there is an undertext of duplication and displacement of the Trans-Atlantic partnership with a pure European.

This wouldn't go well with the Germans, the European Atlantic countries, or any country bordering Russia. Germany is very Pro-American to a point, but while it is more instinctive with Germans above their 40ies, it's more transactional with those younger. There is a similar age divide in the relationship with Russia. The announced huge defence spending increases after the invasion not only pushes Germany over the 2% of GDP like Obama, Trump, and Biden (and many European countries) wanted, and Germany promised in 2014, it will turn Germany into the third biggest spender on defence in the world, after USA and China (and before India and Russia). It is a massive policy shift, with permanent consequences.

Explainer: The proposed hike in German military spending

I am sceptic to the goal of spending money, when the spenders in question have no idea on what and for what purpose. Peacekeeping in Ethiopia? Islamic terrorists? However the invasion of Ukraine has (presumably and hopefully) focused minds, and in particular which spending gives the best results. Some war machines have performed badly in the last wars in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, others well. There will be traditional orders, expect more European orders of F-35 because it is easy to do when you have the money, and that should make Lockheed-Martin thrilled. But also some true 21st century fighting platforms.

All this care of Putin, you say, and not Biden. That is largely true, but not completely. 2014 changed opinions on Putin and what he was up to, there were sanctions and not Reset Buttons since then, but it didn't fundamentally change priorities. Now priorities have changed. This didn't happen over the night of 24/25 February. It's been happening over the last half year. Putin is the main protagonist and antagonist, if he had restrained himself none of this had happened and FOX News would have said that Biden was crazy or senile or both. But in second position comes the US administration and bureaucracy.  The US clearly had the best intel (Vidaud may have been a bit of a fall guy though).

French military spy chief quits after failure to predict Russian invasion

In third position there is a bit of generation shift with European leaders, less tied up with the past (we still got many old fogies, mind you). Hopefully Hungary will perform in the election tonight, though it is against the odds.

A wild gerrymander makes Hungary's Fidesz party hard to dislodge

Reply #344
She said that you can see Russia from Alaska. She said so apart from any caricature or irony. It is merely factual to acknowledge that she said so.
I went back to my post and copied the (3rd) link I gave, the Couric interview, starting a 9 minutes 17 seconds in... Nope! That's not what she (Palin) said.

But I have more posts to read...the forum software reminds me!
进行 ...

Reply #345
It depends a bit on how broadly you define SNL. The Blues Brothers for example is a beloved movie, and various Tina Fey movies are quite popular as well. I suppose culturally speaking we should simply regard them as a form of Hollywood, but they did come out of SNL.
Oh yes, there was also that attrocious female version of Ghostbusters that I successfully avoided. But among my circle of acquaintances I was the only one who knew that the cast was drawn from SNL. In fact I am the only one who knows what SNL is. Others know some SNL cast from elsewhere, but don't know that they are SNL cast.

I went back to my post and copied the (3rd) link I gave, the Couric interview, starting a 9 minutes 17 seconds in... Nope! That's not what she (Palin) said.
You pointless nitpicker.

Couric: You've cited Alaska's proximity to Russia as part of your foreign policy experience. What did you mean by that?
This question means that Sarah Palin had already said this on an earlier occasion. Next, in her answer, Palin confirms it and elaborates on it.

I don't know where Sarah Palin said this first, but most clearly she said it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGSJCDw3ZBw (just 12 seconds, so watch the whole thing!) And here, too, the interviewer starts with "What insight into Russia does the proximity of the state give you?" meaning that this was known from earlier still.

Given these situations, I'd suspect that Alaska's proximity to Far East Russia was a point prominently featured on Palin's platform! But as a minimum, she definitely said this repeatedly.

Reply #346
Quote from: OakdaleFTL on 2022-04-03, 02:50:50I trust you can distinguish between the regime and the people?
Of course I can. The problem is that you cannot. You are a living embodiment of American wilful invincible ignorance and partisan bickering - without a reason to be any of it.
Ah! The Famous ersi Vitriolic Verbiage! I'm stung — by a mosquito... :)

You are not a government worker or a party official, and you are below middle class. So, given your actual social status, all your interests should be concentrated on making a decent living,
And, then, the European wasp! But I'm not allergic... :) I'm retired.

It's true, I never lusted after money. Nor have I ever felt superior to those who had less than I; nor inferior to those who had more!
I have enough, and am mostly content with my circumstance. And -this should not surprise you- I'm not envious of others' good fortune. I made my choices; I had different goals.

instead of making apologies for the regime that has failed to provide for you in any way. Yet all you do is make apologies for the regime - even worse, demanding that the regime would not provide for anyone. This is highly curious, let's say.
Well, I do receive a monthly Social Security check. And, over the years, I've availed myself of some Veterans Benefits[1]. And -of course- I qualify for Medical, California's state-run version of Medicaid. (But I don't use it...I have Medicare.) Food Stamp benefits, ditto; I'm not deprived or starving, not even "food insecure"...
I'm not an apologist. But I don't shy from praising government actions (and actors) that I find commendable. And criticizing actions (and actors) that I find venal, vapid or voracious...
Is desiring -nay, demanding! as you say- honest government a futile fixation? Is hoping for intelligent -and perhaps wise leaders pie-in-the-sky? Well, brother, I'm too ornery to acquiesce to anything less than mediocrity.
I wasn't raised to it.

Yeah: I know I'm famous for taking my time composing my posts....and editing them. Luckily, this is a forum, not a journal. :)
My burial will not burden my family! Yea! :)
进行 ...

Reply #347
You pointless nitpicker.
Not the way you imply... BTW: The snippet has her saying what you want, and is short enough to avoid any words that might not fit your prejudiced view... And -gee whiz and golly!- even that little you heard was factually correct!

Sometimes, you're like a dog with a bone... (Wonder how you'll howl, when you find it's your own tail!)
进行 ...

Reply #348
And -gee whiz and golly!- even that little you heard was factually correct!
So, now you know that the SNL skit was faithfully conveying its source material. Don't make the knee-jerk assumption that everything in SNL is liberal lies. If it were liberal lies, it would mean that SNL writers would have to be creative. It turns out they are not.

It's true, I never lusted after money. Nor have I ever felt superior to those who had less than I; nor inferior to those who had more!
I have enough, and am mostly content with my circumstance. And -this should not surprise you- I'm not envious of others' good fortune. I made my choices; I had different goals.
All this comes across as hyper-individualist and anti-society. When you are anti-society to this extent, it does a great deal to explain why your ideas are so painfully disconnected from any sort of reality, including how your own life turned out.

My ideas, on the other hand, are very much connected to how my life turned out. I am the oldest child in a family of seven children. Since I had to babysit them so much, supervise their play, help them with homework, resolve their fights etc., my siblings see me as an extra parent rather than a brother. Or you could say I am Big Brother - and this directly relates to the way I grew up, and it relates to the way society needs to be - insofar as society is modelled on family, which is an analogy that I take very far, all the way really.

In family, economy/business and government are one and the same thing. Market and government are not opposites. Therefore, corporations can be seen as a kind of government. Therefore, corporations should probably not be free from the kind of accountability and transparency that is required of government.

Also, in the same vein, governments are a type of market. If you favour "free markets" so much, there should be no obstacle to government to operate as a market agent. In reality of course markets are necessarily regulated to provide the "freedom" (actually, fairness), because everybody who enters the market at a later point is at a disadvantage compared to those who were there earlier, smaller agents are at a disadvantage compared to bigger agents, ruthless/criminal agents have an advantage over modest agents etc. all of which are problems that "self-regulation" will never correct. If you disagree, you are basically saying that there is no difference between well-raised and neglected children, between bullies and victims of bullies. But there is.

And so on and so forth.

I'm not an apologist. But I don't shy from praising government actions (and actors) that I find commendable. And criticizing actions (and actors) that I find venal, vapid or voracious...
Is desiring -nay, demanding! as you say- honest government a futile fixation? Is hoping for intelligent -and perhaps wise leaders pie-in-the-sky? Well, brother, I'm too ornery to acquiesce to anything less than mediocrity.
Sure sure, commendability and honesty and intelligence, all noble motives. I'll take this seriously as soon as you are commendable and honest and intelligent yourself.

Reply #349
I'll take this seriously as soon as you are commendable and honest and intelligent yourself.
:) Another howler!

I can understand the penchant to push an analogy too far... But your focus is almost pathological! Useful insights are like numerals, whether you are -say- a constructivist or hold to the logistic thesis, they form an infinite class. (The smallest such, to be sure; but infinite nonetheless.) To limit your explanatory tools to a single insight strikes me as unnecessarily constraining.
Need I add, the urge to do so seems the result of a stunted development? :)
(I two had years tending my younger siblings. But only one brother and one sister; and not too many years...

If you chide me for not being a happy little worker bee, I'll take it good-naturedly: The work-a-day world never fully occupied me. (But I frequently excelled at assigned tasks...) Would it surprise you to hear that when I was young I had definite plans for my life? Well, things didn't work out... Regret and sorrow are both unavoidable; but placing them at the same level would be foolish. For one thing, regrets can readily be manufactured [iad infinitum[/i].

the SNL skit was faithfully conveying its source material
I remember a time when comedians considered all politicians fair game. (It wasn't so long ago.) Caricature (satire in general) involves abstracting a singular trait and grossly exaggerating it — for comic effect. It can be telling as well as cruel. You'd prefer, I'd guess, that the cruelty be most pronounced...
Without a ready supply of people to look down upon, you'd feel awfully small.

Do you really believe all this psychologizing and making so many arguments and disagreements is helpful? (But perhaps it's mildly entertaining to others...?)
All this comes across as hyper-individualist and anti-society.
Not having had the benefit of growing up in a police state can be disorienting, I guess. Even so, I never succumbed to the New Age search for self, nor felt the need to.
Sp that I can repeat one of my favorite quips, I repeat myself: I like people in general and in particular; and I mostly get along easily. That's not surprising — I was raised by people! :)
A final question: Do you feel that you "raised" yourself?
进行 ...