Skip to main content
Topic: Going mainstream with Otter via a beginner's guide (Read 1567 times)

Going mainstream with Otter via a beginner's guide

Hi there.

Been on Lubuntu and Firefox through the last five years. Recently switched to Manjaro. New to Otter. Waow.

I found no link to a beginner's guide to Otter on the website or the forum, though. Google didn't deliver either.

Where can I (and other potential - mainstream - users) find a quick list of to-do's for enabling YouTube playback and handling the repetetive SSL certificate warnings? Such a handy and introductory document would make adopting Otter so much easier - and would bring mainstream adoption quite a few steps closer, I believe.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Going mainstream with Otter via a beginner's guide

Reply #1
The website is in need of a small update, but @Emdek is always very busy. :)

As far as documentation goes, the work in progress can be found at https://github.com/OtterBrowser/otter-browser/wiki/Documentation

I don't believe it includes any of the things you mentioned. But shouldn't YouTube playback work out of the box?

Reply #2
Nothing wrong with the documentation, although it does not touch on the two areas I think will be of importance to newcomers to Otters; getting rid of the major annoyances. No access to YouTube and the 6-8 SSL certificate pop-up dialog boxes while trying, sure grabs attention, front and center.

I'm not suggesting that it even might be Otter-related, and could actually be due to the distro needing an SSL update (somehow) and some missing components. If so, I stilll perceive it to be beneficial to make a note of this for someone like me, who can't decipher the actual cause.

I thought it might be a general experience, since several separate posts on this forum mention these two annoyances, too. I suspect more seasoned Otter users do not experience these annoyances (anymore?) and thought there might be some knowledge here that would be beneficial to share, in terms of lowering the barrier for entry into the world of Otter.

It really rocks in terms of use, speed and responsiveness, but my oh my those SSL warnings get pesky real quick...

Reply #3
YouTube works fine here, but not with HTML5 as I'm using Windows XP.
Works fine once it falls back to Flash though.
 :)