Skip to main content
Topic: Tea in the UK (Read 3882 times)

Tea in the UK

Tea consumption in the UK is apparently at an all time low, according to The Independent.

It is a peculiar thing that tea consumption in general, not just black tea, is at an all time low in the UK, one of the places most known for their fondness for tea. Yet, strangely enough, here in the US, our tea consumption (all kinds) is at an all time high.

Meanwhile, coffee sales in the UK are at an all time high.

Thoughts? @string @rjhowie @Luxor @any other Brits I am forgetting?

Is this the final end of this?
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGQASun9d8E[/video]

Re: Tea in the UK

Reply #1
I can't stand typical British-style tea with milk and sugar. I drink mine black, or whatever it is that you call tea without additives like milk or *shudders* sugar. But perhaps that's not entirely true. I like the combination of green tea with mint (called "Moroccan" for some reason).

PS Coffee should be black too. But for the most part, just give me water.  8)

Reply #2
Most folk I know drink coffee, myself included. Do have a cup of tea now and again but coffee is very much most peoples choice.
Years ago if you went to visit friends or family you would be asked if you would like a cup of tea before you could even sit down, nowadays you're more likely to be asked if you would like a mug of coffee. I never refuse a coffee.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #3
When I have the patience I'll explain how a Portuguese Queen teatched Saxons savages to drink tea.

As for the name, it's enough to say that "tea" in China was called "Tchá". So Portuguese navies had the cargo with the initial "T" to mark it.
Saxon idiots when saw it called it "tea".

There's really no patience for such imbeciles.

In civilization it's called "chá". A shitty drink for old ladies, hippyes and eunucs.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #4
For which we should thank the Portuguese? :) Sorry, sir, but that ship not only sailed a long time ago, it sank!
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #6
Never. We despise your thanks.
As well you should! One's dotage should be given over to recriminations and general irritation… :)
进行 ...

Reply #7
Tough on you Frenzie but then I make allowances for you be a continental. I have always been a milk and 2 sugars sensible British man although more recently have had to use sweetners instead of sugar on health grounds. Anyway I am not surprised at such declines here and all thanks to the overtly nutjobland influences. Piles of films, misuse of words, flags law enforcement here becoming a standard (groan) expression and even that damn misuse of the words awesome and crap. Never use the expression crap either. Just shows how a country can be changed by drivel standards. That smart alex, Tony Bl;air even damn well intriduced a Supreme Court due to him being a lackey.

Medical people have said too much coffee is not good for you and I recall a doctor saying to me that one should keep away from it after around 6pm onwards. The ex-colonies have well proved that one right!  :rolleyes:
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #8
@rjhowie : Yes, I too have to use Splenda/Sweet 'n Low rather than sugar with my tea as well, at least most of the time anyway. Add a small dash of milk too.

If you recall from the D&D days, the user known as cocoa_butter taught me how to make a proper tea when I stopped by to pay her a visit, back in April of 2011. It's one of the better things I learned whilst in your neck of the world.

Reply #9
Yes Colonel, I remember her very well and a pity she drifted off. Came from a Muslim background and I think her son had been in the army cadets (voluntary youth organisation run by government). Although we differed on principle we got on well and when I heard about her son getting a punch I sent a letter via her to him and a money present as he was proud of his uniform. Glad you got your tea situation improved. Have oft wondered how she has got on and good of someone to help you get a decent cup of tea. Although I have to use sweetners now I am helped that my long tradition of women finding me sweet makes up for it.

Reply #10
I'm more fond of tea in Russia. Not because of the tea though.

Reply #11
@Ersi
Lovely samovar. Even so I prefer coffee over tea.

Reply #12
Me too, Krake. But -even though I'll sometimes spoon in a little bit of sugar (…only real sugar!) I don't like milk in my tea!
进行 ...

Reply #13
Neat one there ersi and spot on.

Tea without milk? Yeuch that is like kissing an ugly woman.

Reply #14
You've kissed a woman, RJ? :)
BTW: Some good advice!
进行 ...

Reply #15
Once had 2 sisters arguing over me and the mother couldn't calm them.  Try it Oakdale but for heaven's sake make it a woman!

Reply #16
Always been that way inclined, RJ:) (Never understood other inclinations. But I've, of course, known others that were otherwise inclined; and most of those people I've known were not perverts. It seems morality is more deeply ingrained than a lot of people thought.)
进行 ...

Reply #17
NJ
As for the name, it's enough to say that "tea" in China was called "Tchá". So Portuguese navies had the cargo with the initial "T" to mark it.
Saxon idiots when saw it called it "tea".

Nice story, unfortunately not true.

It's all , supposedly from a root "bitter plant". Tea and cha are just different pronunciations of the same word.

In China cha-like pronunciations are dominant, presumably around Macau the Portuguese picked it up, but the competing Dutch picked up te, possibly in Indonesia. The Russians got their chai by land (the added -i is likely Persian).

The division in Europe between tee and cha(i) shows the Portuguese and Dutch spheres of influence from those day. Clearly the Dutch won this battle, most Europeans say something tee-like, for instance Britain, Sweden and Spain. A significant minority says cha(i), but most speak a Slavic language and presumably got the word from Russian.

Reply #18
Interestingly, the word tisane has no relation to tea despite the similarity in sound. It's from Latin/Greek ptisana.

Reply #19
Fair point OakdaleFTL. Been working on a really big railway simulator project. Have  built the N. Ireland Railway lines and now extension over the Border so time for a wee cup of tea (with milk and a couple of sweetners. oops, real ones not women!

Reply #20
Fair point OakdaleFTL … so time for a wee cup of tea (with milk and a couple of sweetners. oops, real ones not women!
I'll have to disagree yet again, RJ: Women have always been who sweetened my life!
(Speaking about sugar:) )
进行 ...

Reply #21

It is a peculiar thing that tea consumption in general, not just black tea, is at an all time low in the UK, one of the places most known for their fondness for tea. Yet, strangely enough, here in the US, our tea consumption (all kinds) is at an all time high.

Meanwhile, coffee sales in the UK are at an all time high.

It's not surprising at all. Traditionally English coffee was miserable. I first came to the UK and the US in the 80's, and in breakfast restaurants the tea was blacker than the coffee, partly because England had a tradition for really strong tea, stuffing in as much tea as the pot can hold, and then pour a some scolding water over it, while going to the opposite extreme for coffee.

Scotland on the other hand had more normal coffee, and tea. The US coffee was fair as well. Coffee drinking changed in the 80's. The UK got more continental habits, and the US (and the rest of the coffee drinking world as well) got the chains. From being something to be enjoyed in cafes over talking or reading (or in the Scandinavian case drunk at home from morning to evening, and every time visiting), it was something to be drunk on the go.

Tea hasn't had that product development. I had to go to Turkey to experience tea culture. Ironic, as Turkey is the country that introduced Europe to coffee, and I am a fan of Turkish turkish coffee, it's a nation of tea drinkers. (At least it was back then, haven't been there for some years, and Turkey is no longer the same country, might be all coffee, all the time by now.) I could agree with Belfrager, European tea houses have a post-hippie whiff to them, peopled with soft-spoken, organically dressed types.

China of course has a deep and long tea culture (or, as I see it, a boiling water culture), long-winded, but practical.

https://youtu.be/YXTw0P3nBBU

Basically getting the equipment hot and sterile, and extract the attractive flavours (the first round is more bitter and unpleasant, second is the best, the following get progressively weaker).

What I am getting at is that there is a global regression towards the middle, countries that drink the most tea will drink less, those that drink the least will drink more. Same with coffee, Scandinavians still drink more more than any others, but far less than they used to, while countries that drunk less or no coffee are just getting started. 

Reply #22
I could agree with Belfrager, European tea houses have a post-hippie whiff to them, peopled with soft-spoken, organically dressed types.
The tea parlor in my street is always populated with elderly ladies, also like Belfrager said. I guess it's more fun than drinking tea at home.