Skip to main content
Topic: The Awesomesauce of Globalism (Read 12605 times)

Re: The Awesomesauce of Globalism

Reply #25
What the world thinks about globalisation

Hope for liberalism in the West now lies with the young. While millennials tend to hold more left-wing economic views, they are far keener on the idea of globalisation, broadly conceived, thanks to their more positive attitudes towards multiculturalism. In America, 46% of those aged 18-34 think that immigrants had a positive effect on their country, compared with just 35% of those aged 55 and over. In Britain the generational gap is even bigger: 53% and 22%, respectively. And millennials were more optimistic in every country surveyed, save for Indonesia.

The countries with the fastest-growing economies tend to be more positive about globalisation. The French, Australians, Norwegians and Americans tend to oppose the idea of foreigners buying indigenous companies. But most Asians do not see a problem. Few in Hong Kong and Singapore would argue that their city-states should be self-sufficient, whereas most respondents in Indonesia, Thailand, India, the Philippines and Malaysia reckon that their countries shouldn’t have to rely on imports.
19 countries, 12 questions

Reply #29
Fantastic, the world is turning into a paradise, statistics don't lie.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #30
Here's a nice paean to one of my favourite artefacts of the 20th century, the shipping container.

The simple steel box that transformed global trade

The network packet and the shipping container changed how we viewed and changed the world of information and transport. Intermodal container shipping was the first Internet of Things.

Reply #31
$50 for a ton across the Atlantic? Boy, you pay that much for a few hundred grams as a regular consumer. :P (Admittedly, that includes all of the to and from port handling as well.)

Reply #32
Intermodal container shipping was the first Internet of Things.
Intermodal container shipping it's just a matter of rationality at cargo handling, Internet of Things it's life control.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #33
"Internet of things" is a chimera… (Oh, it's coming! But not for a long time; it's like credit cards and the internet: Thieves used to leave physical traces, eh? :) )

Shipping is truly due for a technological "update"…
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #34
IoT is an overarching term, or maybe rather an overstretched one. The good old smart fridge is stored in the back with the other leftovers. The ever-denser swarm of processors, sensors and actuators will chatter ever more, occasionally in the same language.

Shipping and logistics is in a state of continuous revolution, on every level, not just the boxes. For the actual shipping electrical robot ships are being developed, like in Norway. Still a long way to go, and anyway for large ships the ratio of containers to crew is huge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F32GmiJmMjs

Reply #35
It seems to me that IoT means sticking a cheap chip in stuff that doesn't need it so that its unpatched software can quickly become part of a botnet.

Reply #36
No, that is the way "smart" devices work.

Reply #37
It's my understanding that you have a murder of crows, and an IoT of "smart" devices. :P What did IoT originally mean?

Reply #38
"Infinity of Troubles"…? :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #39
This Swedish semi-documentary on the travails of a Congolese trader in Canton (Guangzhou), a foot soldier of globalisation. In French, Lingala, English, and Chinese. Subtitles in Korean and English (trailer) or Swedish (full documentary).

https://vimeo.com/146765315

Full documentary: Strandad i Kanton

Reply #41
a Congolese trader in Canton (Guangzhou), a foot soldier of globalisation.
I suggest napalm against "soldiers of globalisation".
Shooting squadron for the generals of globalisation.
Forgiveness for the globalization Mata Hari. Who is she?
A matter of attitude.

Reply #42
Another day, another ranking.

Reply #43
The methodology is tailor-made to stick the US in the top 10. Things like days of paid leave and maximum overtime hours reflect negatively.

http://www.doingbusiness.org/methodology

So yeah, just be aware of what they mean by "run a business". (I'm surprised New Zealand and Denmark made it in in spite of that. Can't be bothered to parse the data more.)

Reply #45
Capitalism, nothing but capitalism.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #46
And the alternative produces Venezuela and north Korea.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #47
Viva la revolucion!!!

:zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:

Whatever.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #48
North Korea since it's "revolution" has been a terrible place. As for Venezuela it was once one of the outstanding countries in South America. Marxist style endeavours have destroyed much of the place and it tries to blame the Americans for their own damn stupidity.  I am glad that I only have to sigh at Edinburgh being such a loyal Glaswegian...... :hat:
"Quit you like men:be strong"