Skip to main content
Topic: The Awesomesauce of Globalism (Read 12611 times)

The Awesomesauce of Globalism

This forum has had plenty threads constrained to narrow geographic regions like Eurafrica and the Americas, but not a single one for transcending those boundaries. Until now.

This thread extols the joys of a global world, how people the world over break out of their cramped nationalistic prison cells into the free soaring space of globalism.

Here we can celebrate our global interconnectedness, our mobility, our creativity,  our collective joy of life.

In this thread you too can join the world.

Re: The Awesomesauce of Globalism

Reply #1
Identity 2016: 'Global citizenship' rising, poll suggests

People are increasingly identifying themselves as global rather than national citizens, according to a BBC World Service poll.

The trend is particularly marked in emerging economies, where people see themselves as outward looking and internationally minded.

However, in Germany fewer people say they feel like global citizens now, compared with 2001.

Pollsters GlobeScan questioned more than 20,000 people in 18 countries. More than half of those asked (56%) in emerging economies saw themselves first and foremost as global citizens rather than national citizens. In Nigeria (73%), China (71%), Peru (70%) and India (67%) the data is particularly marked.

By contrast, the trend in the industrialised nations seems to be heading in the opposite direction.
In these richer nations, the concept of global citizenship appears to have taken a serious hit after the financial crash of 2008. In Germany, for example, only 30% of respondents see themselves as global citizens.

Reply #2
Where does identifying as European/Western fit in?

Reply #3
Citizenship used to be an objective thing, not a feeling of an individual. Feelings come and go. Subjective trends are irrelevant.

Reply #4
Where does identifying as European/Western fit in?

Traditionally European was Go EU! and Trans-Atlantic was Go NATO! But either organisation may have lost a little luster lately.

Reply #5
Global miserabilism.
Globalism is the Way of the Cattle.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #6
Groan, groan, groan.

Why do you have to drift into that daft "awesome" stuff?? It is so much part of US life and now we are getting it here with people. Even routine things are damn "awesome."
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #7
It is so much part of US life and now we are getting it here […]
That's so like 1990s, RJ! Try to keep up! :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #9
As often happens, you post the most interesting links! Thanks.
进行 ...

Reply #10
You are waffling Oakdale. It is a routine thing in America that the damn word 'awesome' is used for things that aren't even, well, awesome. I see it time and again on my forums re my hobby of rail and tram simulators. Yanks come on and a routine route on show is aromatically awesome (groan). The word like the routine ex-colonists stuff is slipping in here too. Ridiculous.

Reply #11
That's because you are all prissy fuddy-duddies, boy-o. "Girl-y men" I think was the term SNL popularized… :)
进行 ...

Reply #12
Kind of would be funny coming from you when you consider how infantile much that comes out out of the ex-colonies can be.The constant misue of that damn word 'awesome' kind of belies that so wax on I am not reading this them guff any more as I don't want to end up like you dear hermit. Oh and before i drop out this one I feel sorry for the sensible ex-colonials here!

Reply #13
Awesome!
进行 ...

Reply #14
There is a celebration of Globalism with Chinese Characteristics in the Infrastructure thread:

B&R, the Belt and Road Initiative (also known as One Belt One Road or The Silk Road Economic Belt and the 21st-century Maritime Silk Road or sometimes Silk Road 2.0).

This infrastructure project, connecting East Asia with Southeast Asia, Europe and Africa through Central, South and West Asia,  is often seen as a political project, Chinese projection versus American containment. Perceived American naval blocade is countered with the dictum, Go West, Young Nation!
[...]
Part 1/7: 
https://youtu.be/4ULh0hjVQJg

Part 2/7: 
https://youtu.be/BySt7VohNJQ

Part 3/7: 
https://youtu.be/IbOlMpBSXEI

Reply #15
Or the map from the Wikipedia article,

Reply #16
More Chinese propaganda.  :zzz:
A matter of attitude.

Reply #17
SUPERGIANTS
Unlike the West, India and China embrace globalisation

The Chinese people recognise their country’s growing prominence on the world stage: 75% say China is playing a more important role in world affairs than it did 10 years ago, and only 10% of suggest that they are a less important player in the global arena.

Indians as well acknowledge their country’s growing international stature: 68% say India plays a more important role in the world today compared with 10 years ago, and only 15% suggest that India plays a less important role. Both the Chinese and Indians are far more likely than Europeans at 23% or Americans, 21%, to assume that their nation plays a more important role on the world stage today than it did a decade ago.

Reply #18
"More important"… For better or for worse?
进行 ...

Reply #19
That they (and the rest of world) play a bigger role again is absolutely for the better. Whether they will play that bigger role better is a more open question.

So far it has been fantastic and unprecedented, but there are real concerns if they can keep this up, or do even better. I am cautiously optimistic, not due to these politicians though.  

Reply #20
I certainly wish well for all the regional powers; and I share your misgivings…
(BTW, jax: When you say "absolutely" you mean "I've got my fingers crossed, for all the good that'll do!" :) )
进行 ...

Reply #21
A Brazilian friend told me that the Brazilian marine intercepted and captured two gigantic Chinese fishing ships that were fishing by aspiring the entire floor of the ocean with giant suction units.
It destroys all the entire ocean life including fish from all ages and species, crustaceans, egg layers, algae, corals, etc.

It must be what Jax's neocon euphemism calls "play a bigger role" in the world.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #22
We used to have international agreements about such…
进行 ...

Reply #24
 :lol:
Ok, I confess, the guy is obviously not a friend of mine. I was just trying to play the globalism friendship...
A matter of attitude.