Skip to main content
Topic: Wealth Redistribution -- What, if any, is the justification for it?  (Read 42167 times)

Re: Wealth Redistribution -- What, if any, is the justification for it?

Reply #151
Science says that even rats show compassion and share their wealth. Not all people are able to do the same.

Any animal shows compassion. Regarding "their own".

The key for a discussion about redistribution is Social Darwinism, selfishness, consumerism and absence of Catholic values.
People against redistribution are like rats, they want to redistribute to rats not for cats.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #152
To date, I have yet to hear from anyone that can show a legitimate justification in the taking away of, without permission (to steal **), what someone has worked for -- their income, & to simplify the process, to redistribute that income to others, others who did nothing of value to earn that income, simply because these others happen to be of a lower income level in society.

That's the process in question here.

We're not talking about the destitute, or the truly needy. There is no quibble over societies need to ask for voluntarily contributions to offer a hand for helping those destitute & truly needy out of the pit they're unfortunately in.

We should focus on those in society that do have, but just not as much as others.  Taking wealth involuntarily from those that have earned wealth, to redistribute that wealth to people who have not earned it (those in society that do have, but just not as much as others), is the process I have outlined as needing justification.

Will no one address this issue -- can you support the present day distribution processes -- without resorting to the demonisation of the 'rich', or passing back-handed negative connotation toward successful higher income earners in today's society?

We may as a society think it's nice, or even sometimes appropriate, to support those of lesser means (even though they can make do without it), but does that legitimately justify government to steal ** the earned income of another in societies behalf, for redistribution to those not destitute or truly in need?

** Verb: to steal
To take without the owner's consent

Reply #153
Kind of selfish touch there I am afraid. That word on helping the needy whether they need it or not is stretching things. Of recent years the trends has been for the gap to get wider and a couple of decades ago the times you would multiply the average wage to that of a top executive has been vastly widened. However not in favour of those less well off. That cannot be anything more than a reality of practical fact. In your country the top pays less a percentage in tax and in mine the top earners pay 25% of taxes and I think that is right. To simply say with ease somehow by a wave of a wand the rich could hep out the poor is pushing your luck. Throw in 40 million poor and increasing loss of homes and you have an increasing social problem.

If society as a whole is simply going to be  a case of "pity you are poor" and hope a few rich people might throw in something into the pot is very flawed. In my mind it is not a very constructive idea of society at all.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #154

Quote from: Colonel Rebel
But SanguineMoon does a a point I think you should consider; a relative of mine is in terrible shape. She has a hereditary back disease that has stripped her ability to do consistent work/stand for long periods of time. As such, she is no longer able to work, and must rely on her husband. Her husband is just a general laborer, and does work under the table.

She and he have reached a point of absolute emergency. He can barely afford half of her medication, can barely afford gas for his truck, and they rely on meals in the instances you mention (local Baptist church in their town, mainly, although to @Belfrager's church's credit, a Catholic Church also has pitched into help. ), but they are one of many ppl doing so in that poverty-stricken Delta town. As such, their rations are barely enough for more than 3 days.

The question she now faces is what is more important? Deal with going hungry or paying for her meds?

I have encouraged her to try for food stamps **, as they are exactly for the instance I have just illustrated. If she did so, she could focus on paying for ALL of her meds, and possibly saving up cash for a surgery for her debilitating disease.

While your relatives' problem is compelling, I've read 'Coonys post more than a couple of times, & respectfully I see no point he attempts to make that relates specifically to the type of problem you posted.

That said, just because I don't believe in the Food Stamp Program -- that the Federal Government so loosely implements --  won't make it go away any time soon, & if that is the only way that your relatives can survive is taking advantage of this program, then that's what they should do until they can find a privately funded alternative. 

The day that the present Food Stamp Program is abolished, & replaced with a program that is specifically for those in your relatives situation -- need based, & not for the general public solely based on income levels -- I'd look at such a program as much more favorable.

In principal, could you support something like that?  Needs based, as opposed to a fraud riddled, solely means tested -- income based?

BTW .... This is actually off topic, for it has nothing to do with the justification of Wealth Redistribution.

Addressing stuff from bottom to top:

1. But it is wealth redistribution. The Food Stamps program takes our tax dollars and loads them onto an EBT card for those deemed to qualify for said program.

2. Yes, absolutely I could support a needs-based program. Please do remember that I basically live in the "3rd World" state of the US, which has the highest poverty level, and that many are dirt poor. As such, few privately-funded programs exist, and those that do are stretched to their breaking point with requests.

3. Well, you and he do have quite the history.  :P

Reply #155
1. But it is wealth redistribution. The Food Stamps program takes our tax dollars and loads them onto an EBT card for those deemed to qualify for said program.

But, is that legitimate justification for taking wealth & redistributing it to those that 'can' see clear to make do without....read here

Qualification by ever changing political motivations does not, IMHO, justify that.

Do you think otherwise?

Reply #156

But, is that legitimate justification for taking wealth & redistributing it to those that 'can' see clear to make do without....read here

Qualification by ever changing political motivations does not, IMHO, justify that.

Do you think otherwise?

I think that any "needs-based" scheme would spawn a huge bureaucracy on needs-assessors, slavering to rip off the system

Reply #157
I think that any "needs-based" scheme would spawn a huge bureaucracy on needs-assessors, slavering to rip off the system

Exactly.

That's why if they are to exist at all, any program/process needs to be administered by qualified/regulated charities, & by all means kept out of the inept, ultra-political hands of 'here today - gone tomorrow' bureaucratic government officials.

Reply #158
In your country the top pays less a percentage in tax and in mine the top earners pay 25% of taxes and I think that is right.

Geeez, they get off very cheap there rj ...... do your homework son, do your homework for here's the [glow=green,2,300]Federal Income Tax[/glow] rates:

Source

Those here at the top income brackets would dance silly   if the top rate were only 25%!!!

BTW ..... that top rate of 39.6% doesn't include [glow=green,2,300]State Income Tax,[/glow] [glow=green,2,300]Local Income Taxes,[/glow] & [glow=green,2,300]Sales Tax.....etc.....etc...etc[/glow]

That effectively pushes the top tax rate way in excess of your picayune  25% top rate.

Reply #159
Now you're just being disingenuous.  The wealthy typically get most of their income from capital gains taxed at 15-20%, as you damn well know. Teabaggers insist on telling obvious falsehoods, but why? If you make the more than USD 406,751 and pay anywhere near 39.6%, fire your accountant. In their unfortunate brain damage, it the 'baggers forget that Buffer noted the he actually paid less percentage tax than his secretary?

Reply #160
The Federal Income tax rates I provided above are 100% correct.

The effective rates of tax one ends up paying varies upon the mountains of tax code & how they are applied to one's individual tax return.

Now, how the tax laws are written, & how deductions are applied based on those laws, the end rate of tax paid can vary.

Unless you're naive enough to believe that those Federal Tax Rates are 'flat tax' rates,  you would know as we all do that the end rate you actually pay is dependent upon your deductions.

This is common knowledge known world wide, so your boogy-man tax rant is nothing more than a charade on your part in a vain attempt to discredit, which won't work -- & nobody is stupid enough to take you seriously.     

Last year President Obama made $608,611. He paid $112,214 in Federal Income tax.  He is in the 39.6% tax bracket, but because of his numerous legal deductions his Federal Tax Rate was effectively lowered to 18.4%.

Now, not knowing if he had any State, or Local Income Tax, Capitol Gains Tax, Property Tax, Sales Tax, etc,,etc,,etc to add to that Federal Tax, I would have to believe his end overall tax paid was higher than that 18.4% figure.

Now, are you going to address this issue -- can you support the present day redistribution processes -- without resorting to the demonisation of the 'rich', or passing back-handed negative connotation toward successful higher income earners in today's society?

So, are you going to continue throwing up bogus class-envy smokescreens, or are you going to legitimately attempt to  justify taking wealth involuntarily from those that have earned wealth, to redistribute that wealth to people who have not earned it,  are not truly needy, & are far from being destitute?

Reply #161
The way Smiley put the topic of this thread just recently, I suppose that the issue with ill people might be a topic for another thread, which is maybe yet to come - or not...

Reply #162

The Federal Income tax rates I provided above are 100% correct.

The effective rates of tax one ends up paying varies upon the mountains of tax code & how they are applied to one's individual tax return.

Now, how the tax laws are written, & how deductions are applied based on those laws, the end rate of tax paid can vary.

Unless you're naive enough to believe that those Federal Tax Rates are 'flat tax' rates,  you would know as we all do that the end rate you actually pay is dependent upon your deductions.

This is common knowledge known world wide, so your boogy-man tax rant is nothing more than a charade on your part in a vain attempt to discredit, which won't work -- & nobody is stupid enough to take you seriously.     

Last year President Obama made $608,611. He paid $112,214 in Federal Income tax.  He is in the 39.6% tax bracket, but because of his numerous legal deductions his Federal Tax Rate was effectively lowered to 18.4%.

Now, not knowing if he had any State, or Local Income Tax, Capitol Gains Tax, Property Tax, Sales Tax, etc,,etc,,etc to add to that Federal Tax, I would have to believe his end overall tax paid was higher than that 18.4% figure.

Now, are you going to address this issue -- can you support the present day redistribution processes -- without resorting to the demonisation of the 'rich', or passing back-handed negative connotation toward successful higher income earners in today's society?

So, are you going to continue throwing up bogus class-envy smokescreens, or are you going to legitimately attempt to  justify taking wealth involuntarily from those that have earned wealth, to redistribute that wealth to people who have not earned it,  are not truly needy, & are far from being destitute?
However, other capital gains are taxed at 15-20% from the get go, not the result of deductions.  You are correct in that the relatively low Federal taxes that a top earners pay can be more than halved from deductions, but that's not the whole story. The whole story likely would be 1,000 page tome :p

Reply #163
Actually, you don't have to take from me. Take it from the IRS itself.
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Ten-Important-Facts-About-Capital-Gains-and-Losses
The tax rates that apply to net capital gain are generally lower than the tax rates that apply to other income. For 2010, the maximum capital gains rate for most people is 15%. For lower-income individuals, the rate may be 0% on some or all of the net capital gain. Special types of net capital gain can be taxed at 25% or 28%.

Now why is that? Because you report them on your 1040 as capital gains and the tax rate is computed as such.

Reply #164
It seems fair enough to tax it less on account of inflation. That is, if one bought a house for 20k in 1950 and sold it now for 200k, it'd be a huge rip-off to tax a 180k profit. Also, I don't know how it is in the States, but here you have to pay transfer tax so taxing that as a profit would be double taxation to boot.

However, what I don't understand is these American qualified dividends. What's the (supposed) difference with regular dividends?

Reply #165
The wealthiest man in the world receives an award for being the wealthiest man in the world.

Emmanuel Macron a remis mercredi 13 mars au soir la grand-croix de la Légion d’honneur au PDG du géant français du luxe LVMH, Bernard Arnault. [...] Aux manettes du leader mondial du luxe, M. Arnault est aujourd’hui l’homme le plus riche du monde, avec un patrimoine estimé à 230 milliards de dollars, devant Elon Musk et ses 210 milliards de dollars, selon le classement Forbes. Bernard Arnault qui est entré dernièrement en négociations exclusives avec le groupe Lagardère, passé en novembre 2023 dans le giron de Vincent Bolloré, pour racheter l’hebdomadaire Paris Match.