Likes like on FB and YT? I like!
[ 3 ] (30%)
I don't like polls.
[ 1 ] (10%)
Beer me.
[ 3 ] (30%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: 2016-04-27, 11:46:58

Topic: The Likes Poll Thread (Read 2802 times)

The Likes Poll Thread

Express your opinion.

Mine is that the likes function in the imminent forum upgrade should be thoroughly and irreversibly removed and given no further consideration, after this poll has conclusively proven that none of us wants it.

Re: The Likes Poll Thread

Reply #1
I like the idea of it, but will of course go along with whatever Frenzie decides, of course.

The word of caution I would offer, is that such as system can and will be abused. On SECTalk, m favorite sports forum, we once had that, as well as "rep points". Gangs would form, and downvote and negative rep the hell out of others.

Of course, the way around that is to go the FB route, and only allow "likes".

Reply #3
Let's all like each and every post ersi makes, just to bug and harass him.  :up:

Reply #5
I voted in the hidden poll option that says "Likes are sissy".
A matter of attitude.

Reply #6
I strongly like the last three posts… :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #7

[glow=green,2,300]I like my own post the best simply because it is the best I posted just now,
& not one second to soon or to late.
[/glow]

+1     +1  

Reply #8
The trouble is that "Like" and "not like" can both be destructive and in the end mean little, especially in a small forum.

Perhaps the facility could be used for something else, like "like" being used to denote "post worth discussing more" which would a less personal comment.

Reply #9
Admit it, whether you regard yourself as a scholar of linguistics or a self proclaimed language snob – you’ve, at least once, crossed over to the dark side and used the word “like” in a sentence where it, like, doesn’t belong. Narrowly escaping the grammar police, you catch yourself, cringe and promise never again! This usage of “like” is known as a slang interjection. This form as well as the adverbial use of “like” dates back a lot further than you might think.

Many people believe Moon Unit Zappa and her 1982 single Valley Girl are responsible for popularizing this usage of “like” precisely at the moment Ms. Zappa sang, “It’s like, barf me out.” The sociolect that the song celebrates, Valspeak, originates in Southern California.  In reality, the slang use of the word “like” has been a part of popular culture dating as far back as 1928 and a cartoon in the “New Yorker” that depicts two women discussing a man’s workspace with a text that reads, “What’s he got – an awfice?” “No, he’s got like a loft.” The word pops up again in 1962’s A Clockwork Orange as the narrator proclaims, “I, like, didn’t say anything.”
http://blog.dictionary.com/like/

Reply #10
Admit it, whether you regard yourself as a scholar of linguistics or a self proclaimed language snob – you’ve, at least once, crossed over to the dark side and used the word “like” in a sentence where it, like, doesn’t belong. Narrowly escaping the grammar police, you catch yourself, cringe and promise never again! This usage of “like” is known as a slang interjection. This form as well as the adverbial use of “like” dates back a lot further than you might think.

Many people believe Moon Unit Zappa and her 1982 single Valley Girl are responsible for popularizing this usage of “like” precisely at the moment Ms. Zappa sang, “It’s like, barf me out.” The sociolect that the song celebrates, Valspeak, originates in Southern California.  In reality, the slang use of the word “like” has been a part of popular culture dating as far back as 1928 and a cartoon in the “New Yorker” that depicts two women discussing a man’s workspace with a text that reads, “What’s he got – an awfice?” “No, he’s got like a loft.” The word pops up again in 1962’s A Clockwork Orange as the narrator proclaims, “I, like, didn’t say anything.”
http://blog.dictionary.com/like/

Reply #11
Fascinating! Thanks, Jimbro.
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #12
The good thing about the current system of likes is that the likers are out in the open. They cannot hide. And another good thing is that it's used very sparingly. It should be tolerable as long as it stays so.