Skip to main content
Topic: Upcoming Upgrade (Read 36714 times)

Upcoming Upgrade

I don't quite now when yet as I'm still working on it, but within the month I'll be switching the forum software from Simple Machines to ElkArte.

I've already ensured we'll keep the features we know and love by porting them over or finding alternatives, like quick quote, bookmarks and first post on every page.

We'll gain a much improved experience on mobile devices, auto-saving drafts for posts, improved password security, as well as @mentions and likes.

When the software switch is done, you'll have to sign in twice to upgrade the safety of your password.

Re: Upcoming Upgrade

Reply #2

as well as @mentions and likes.

What is that?

If I wanted to mention you in a post, @Belfrager, the @ in front of your name will most likely notify you that I mentioned you.
Quite a useful feature that I use a lot on my favorite sports forum site. The "like" bit will probably be like a thumbs up or thumbs down feature, noting our general approval or disapproval of posts, threads, etc. (Poor RJHowie.....  :devil: )

Thanks for all of your continued work, @Frenzie.

Reply #3
This boy is stretching his ambition if he thinks I can be dismissed as poor. As much chance as me living in Edinburgh...or the ex-colonies (uggh!)  :sing:
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #4

We'll gain a much improved experience on mobile devices, auto-saving drafts for posts, improved password security, as well as @mentions and likes.

Likes? I hate likes :furious: My Opera didn't have likes. They had Chuck Norris!

Srsly, likes would ruin the atmosphere. Rest of the things mentioned are okay, if the transition will work glitchlessly.

Reply #5
I hoped I would never have to endure a "likesful" social platform. I'm antisocial by nature. That's why I love DnD.
Well... things change, and I am in the minority.

Reply #6
I don't have to enable likes. But otherwise you often just see people posting things like +1 or so true. I think its recent addition to GitHub was an improvement.

Behind the scenes the move means it'll be easier moving forward, because all or virtually all of my changes will be hooks-based without any edits in the underlying code.

Edit: hm, searching the settings offers up an "enable likes" option but it doesn't seem to actually show up. We'll see, I might have to fix a bug to disable likes. :P

Reply #7
We are not like GitHub. We are not looking for the best responses to address bugs. We are like the off-topic section of My Opera. Well, not like; we truly are that. No likes.

Reply #8
The bug was a slightly different one than I thought. Likes have to be explicitly enabled. They're just built in and wouldn't take any extra effort. I could've said last and least to indicate I merely sort of slapped it on at the end of a bunch of much cooler features, but I didn't realize it would be a contentious issue. :)

Reply #11
We run from likes as vampires from crucifixes. We are not facebook, we are the resisting dark forces of the web.
Can we finally burn this theme and got a new one?
A matter of attitude.

Reply #12
I created a new theme yesterday after taking a walk.

Reply #15
I did that years ago, but after learning to fight back, I'm a very comfortable atheist.

Acording the video, it seems you also changed sex even if remaining with a very heavy allure. Well, a confortable transexual atheist...
A matter of attitude.

Reply #17
@Smiley Were you able to login earlier during my failed migration attempt?

Reply #19

@Smiley Were you able to login earlier during my failed migration attempt?

Yes, after a few failed attempts....First I wasn't recognized (my name)....then I tried a different approach.....it threw LastPass into a hiss fit.....then I tried the ole fashioned way....copy & paste...geez.....but it worked, but then I retried to duplicate my steps, & I ended up on the ole Forum?   Total FUBAR.....but it was so fuuuuunnnn! 

Reply #20
Hm, it wasn't quite working out for me. Damn it, I want to migrate. :P

Edit: yes, since it wasn't working I put the old forum back on. There's no point in having a broken site up while I have no idea yet what's wrong.  :sherlock:

Reply #21

Hm, it wasn't quite working out for me. Damn it, I want to migrate. :P

Edit: yes, since it wasn't working I put the old forum back on. There's no point in having a broken site up while I have no idea yet what's wrong.  :sherlock:

I agree.....I'm off to dinner,,,,I'll check in after, & maybe I can help somehow......I always wanted ta be a lab rat!  But be gentile....my piece got a hair trigger!      JK! ;)

Reply #23
I figured out the problem, but I might hold it off for a couple more days.

Reply #24
So, no upgrade? There's nothing wrong with and nothing missing from the current forum anyway. The only thing recommending the new backend is that you are apparently investing work and effort into it...