Skip to main content
Topic: Upcoming Upgrade (Read 36860 times)

Re: Upcoming Upgrade

Reply #75
.......And what is this? : Otter 0.9.09  Linux • Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686) AppleWebKit/538.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Otter/0.9.09

@Belfrager   Obviously, this forum software, like the previous software by SimpleMachines, uses information detected in your User Agent on your computer/device.  Different browsers & browser tools use different ways of presenting the User Agent information.

I can change my User Agent anytime I wish, & I do so because some sites present their sites differently depending on what they detect from you, & some even go so far as not permitting....being very unfriendly....you depending on the browser & version of it that you use.

Have you ever seen the popup/message that tells you something like:    "Your browser is out of date & we suggest you use XYZ browser or update your browser in order to have the best experience at their website"  ?

That's what I'm talking about....your User Agent is broadcasting to each & every website you visit.

Now, just for shits & giggles, I'm going to change my User Agent to some rediculous browser & configuration that I would never use in a million years to prove my point.

This is what I switched it to:  Epiphany 2.30.0 (OpenBSD)    and the User Agent String is:    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; OpenBSD arm; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.2  (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/531.2  Epiphany/2.30.0

:devil:

Reply #76
@Belfrager    Now see below  that  post......the User Agent String is changed, but now look below this post.....I changed it back  to my PaleMoon Portable Browser, which shows as FireFox v35  :ninja:

Reply #77
we have  'like ' button .

ich mag

Reply #78
@SmileyFaze Could you try if the video autoembed works for you over at http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=2604.0?

Why quoting has so litle letters? do I need a microscope to post?
Well, you do have a custom font-size set. :whistle: But I changed it back to full size. Actually quote size is one of the first things I originally changed about default SMF, because there it's extra small.

And what is this? : Otter 0.9.09  Linux • Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686) AppleWebKit/538.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Otter/0.9.09
It's geeky. Perhaps I should adapt it into a user preference.

Thank you Frenzie, for the fantabulous job!!       
You're welcome. :up:

Reply #79
@SmileyFaze Could you try if the video autoembed works for you over at http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=2604.0?

@Frenzie    No....same as before...Times out on every browser I try (FF 3 versions, Chrome 2 versions, Qupzilla, Avant, IE, Palemoon, & this go round Otter got Error 99)...does not work on any of my browsers unless I click the upper left link above the image that says YouTube video:, but that opens a new tab, takes me to youtube.com, & there & only there will it play the video.

JFYI.....when I hover the image I do see the proper url to the video. Hope that helps you.

BTW.....I told you the Video Tag works a treat.....perfectly....better than I could have wanted if I didn't know it before (in our old forum), & being it is an old friend, I will gladly use it( all my text formatting menus & buttons for video are populated with it, so not to worry, using it will be easy.....I like that player better too.....not that the one above ever worked so I could compare.  Thanks again for fixing that tag ..... without it I don't know what I'd do.....Thanks again very much!

My next request is the Shadow Tag....,any chance?? ;)

Reply #80
Ah, there used to be shadow and glow. Should be easy.

Reply #81
Ah, there used to be shadow and glow. Should be easy.

@Frenzie    Yes...Yes.....forgot the Glow, can't forget the Glow, The Shadow wouldn't be the same without the Glow, like peas in a pod  ...... Shadow & Glow if it's doable.....Muchas Garcias Señor ;)

Reply #82
Alright, they're back.

Code: [Select]
[glow=blue][color=white]text[/color][/glow]

[glow=blue]text[/glow]

[shadow=blue,right][color=white]Hello[/color][/shadow]

[shadow=blue,right]Hello[/shadow]

Reply #83
@Frenzie Surely you agree that the user agent string is misplaced. Formerly it was more of a hidden feature under JS accessible by mouseover on the browser icon, right? And the browser icon was there along with other member info away from the post content. That was the right place. Right now it attracts too much undue attention.

Another thing, I would prefer a solid background colour in the theme. Can we have a setting for that? And how about a number of themes to choose from. At the moment we have purple (sry if I'm not seeing right). Additionally, how about b&w and dark?

Would it be okay if I worked out a few of my own CSS tweaks and then suggest to you to apply them? For example I would still like an option to have mostly equal font sizes.

Reply #84
Formerly it was more of a hidden feature under JS accessible by mouseover on the browser icon, right?
There was never any JS involved. But yes, I already agreed that this is merely how I happen to like it.

Another thing, I would prefer a solid background colour in the theme. Can we have a setting for that? And how about a number of themes to choose from. At the moment we have purple (sry if I'm not seeing right). Additionally, how about b&w and dark?
I think if I did that, it'd be more fruitful to allow for users to set custom CSS, a bit like the font size setting but with actual CSS.[1] After all, why stop at HTML background images?

html{background-image:none}

This option would be fairly limited in terms of both length and allowed characters to prevent possible server and self abuse, while still allowing you to @import anything you like.

Also I just added a dark theme. Hope you like it.[2]

Would it be okay if I worked out a few of my own CSS tweaks and then suggest to you to apply them? For example I would still like an option to have mostly equal font sizes.
I already changed the quote font size to be the same as other text.
Or in current parlance, "cloud" user styles.
Btw, you can also select a different variant of the default theme.

Reply #85
[glow=green,2,300]This Is the Way to Go[/glow]

[glow=black,2,300]Now this is living![/glow]

[glow=green,2,300]Well, Well, Well what have we here? [/glow]

[glow=blue,2,300]Peaches & Cream covered with Mustard......Yuk! [/glow]

[shadow=red,right]I like the Shadowing[/shadow]

Nice.....real nice!  Is there a Highlight tag....I know I'm a pest, but I've used a yellow Highlight tag on text & it is very effective when stressing a specific point....If it's not available, no problem....I'll live

Thanks again for the [shadow=red,right]Shadow [/shadow]& [glow=blue,2,300]Glow! [/glow]     

Reply #86
Is that something you're familiar with from another forum software?

Reply #89
Also I just added a dark theme. Hope you like it.
It's very good! Now I can tell whether I am logged in with a graphical browser :up: Where can I click like?

However, in this theme the font sizes are not equalised.

Edit: I got an idea. Perhaps you can make it so that when the user sets font size in pixels under Look and Layout, the size will apply to all fonts equally, or at least to those within posts. When this setting is untouched, the theme sizes would apply. (Even though I would prefer the themes only to change colours, not font sizes.)

Reply #90
Where can I click like?
You should see these buttons at the bottom right of Frenzies post.

The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #91
Edit: I got an idea. Perhaps you can make it so that when the user sets font size in pixels under Look and Layout, the size will apply to all fonts equally, or at least to those within posts.
Seems a bit heavy-handed and again something better handled by some form of user CSS. But I commented out the style responsible for smaller quotes in that theme.

Reply #92
One more comment on the dark theme. In mobile mode it seems to be showing recent posts alternately dark and light, while in desktop browser all posts have the same style. Is this intended or accidental?

Reply #93
I'll query the author.

Reply #94
I'll query the author.
The idea is of course to change this so that all posts would have the same style in mobile too :)

And another thing. The quickreply hole changes style on mouseover. Changing the borders is quite enough (even though unnecessary, because this change of style is not indicating focus; it only indicates the location of the pointer which I know anyway). I would like it to keep the colours it has when not in mouseover.

Reply #95
That and the color variation thing you mentioned are most likely bugs in the theme. I note it doesn't happen with the full editor.

Edit: fixed and sent a PR to the original.

Reply #97
@SmileyFaze Could you try these and say which of them work for you, if any? http://www.elkarte.it/testembed.html

I'll give the highlight thing some thought. The important thing is to maintain legibility.

@Frenzie    The FIRST & the SECOND showed an image, & when the play is pressed they play the video. When hovered, I see the youtube URL, & when right clicked I see the Adobe Flash Player Context Menu  :yes:

The THIRD & the FOURTH showed no image at all (Blue Box), & when the page stopped loading both came up as [glow=black,2,300]TIMED OUT[/glow]. When loading if I right click, I get my Browser context menu, as opposed to an Adobe Flash Player Context Menu. When hovered I see nothing...no youtube URL.  :down:  :rip:

On the Highlight Tag thingie....I agree with you on the legibility thing, as I never use my phone or pad, only PC, I can say what I've seen in the past was fine, but then again what those other device users see .... you'd need to use one or get feedback.

Hope that helps 

Reply #98
My only question was answered — when I followed the link to the "Forum-related" threads: Private messages are still supported. (Thanks!)

I do find the new theme ugly, but I'd certainly not want you to cater to my tastes! It's like a cross between Windows '93 and XP… And every distro of Linux.

But it works!
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #99
BTW: The "Jump to" menu doesn't:(
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)