Skip to main content
Topic: Get involved in Otter (Read 26400 times)

Get involved in Otter

Otter is in an exciting formative stage and is teeming with ideas to emulate and surpass Opera 12's familiar functionality. You can find out more about the development and the issues which are current on this GitHub page.

If you wish to contribute to the discussions, please start a thread here, including the issue # and exactly the same title to assist tracking of comments on the issue between DnD and Otter. By all means start a discussion on other issues that you think relevant to Otter. Note that information and ideas posted in this Ping are for free use by the Otter development.

Email Developer Needed

Reply #1
Otter browser is meant to re-create the most notable features of Opera Presto. At the current alpha stage there's even some of ordinary functionality (by modern standards) missing, such as address bar autocomplete and suggestions, not to mention the big features of Opera that made everyone love it, such as Notes and Sidebar/Panel.

Otter browser team urgently needs a developer for the Email Component. The functional email component is absolutely necessary to consider the product beta, a feature-complete application ready for ordinary users to use for testing and finalise to perfection.

If you are familiar with the email protocol in general and Opera's M2 implementation in particular, if you are a free & open-source idealist and a full-time quality hacker, if writing code is your second nature and it just happens that you are on a lengthy time-off from other duties, then please contact Emdek either here or on Freenode IRC #otter-browser

Re: Get involved in Otter

Reply #2
Some more details can be found in this ticket:
https://github.com/Emdek/otter/issues/37
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #3
Are you going to integrate an IRC client into it in the near future? 

Reply #5
Will we be able to add user script extensions in the future ?

Reply #6
It's definitely planned.
0.9.05 - beta 5 (01.03.2015):
- user scripts
- address field suggestions / drop down history
- UI for customizing toolbars
- customizable context menu
- improved taskbar integration for Windows
- exposing MDI features
- additional panels for sidebar (page information, notes etc.)

Reply #7
We are currently looking for volunteers to establish Quality Assurance team, to ensure that our releases don't have regressions and less obvious bugs.
Members of this team would have to run some tests simulating typical use cases etc., especially when nearing major releases (beta, stable etc.) and report them to me (IRC is preferred way, more complex issues can go straight to issue tracker).

We are also looking for MacOS X maintainer, more details here:
https://github.com/Emdek/otter/issues/622

Reply #8
I received an invitation to https://github.com/OtterBrowser Is this connected to the QA team you are setting up?

(Sorry, real life was almost killing me meanwhile.)

Reply #9
@ersi, yes, it is. ;-)

Reply #10
Thanks. I will make motions to accept the invitation tomorrow.

Reply #11
Edited Russian translation locally via QtLingust, released it, now using it with Otter, but cannot upload .ts file to Transifex, getting XML error. Wrote to Transifex support, will wait for answer.

Reply #12
@Freeman, what kind of error?
Issues with JSON being returned instead of being  used by scripts are common there, I'm seeing it each time when I'm updating source file (but update by itself works fine, they fail to show result of that action in proper way).
Their UI feels kinda buggy for semi-commercial product (at least under classic Opera). ;-)

Reply #13

i think it would be a nice idea to create a text mode for browser (like a lynx browser) without javascript and flash. it will be great for old computers and terminals

To do it the way Opera did it, this can be achieved with some advanced usage of userCSS and by switching off JS and plugins. No need to do more than this, because (1) Opera did not go any further, (2) Lynx and Elinks already exist and are unbeatable in console.

On the other hand, I would sure endorse a command-line toolbar for tab-specific quick settings, like in vim-like browsers, e.g.
Code: [Select]
set plugins false

just for this tab, just for the current session. For now the Quick Preferences make permanent global changes.

Another "Great" idea  is to make otter something like GNU Emacs. with file manager and of course tetris :-)

Not sure about tetris, but I am all in favour of good editing capabilities (preferably external editor) and some file-browsing.

By the way, have you tried to open local directories in Otter? It works, somewhat.

P.S It was planing to make some kind of os with opera presto but it was never done

Long term and very low priority https://dndsanctuary.eu/index.php?topic=682.0

Reply #14
i think it would be a nice idea to create a text mode for browser (like a lynx browser) without javascript and flash. it will be great for old computers and terminals

That is doable, for example by using readonly  QTextEdit, it has support for subset of CSS and it should be possible to allow it to fetch resources through QNetworkAccessManager (thus supporting cookies, caching etc.).

Reply #15
@timur dokhnadze, that idea is a bit odd. ;-)
Screenshots will be updated after applying some fixes to toolbars (especially padding for tab bar) etc.

Reply #16
Hi,
I have a good knowledge of C++ and would like to help,
but I have no experience with Qt or networking.
Is there something I could help with?

Ephron

Reply #17
@Ephron, some knowledge about Qt is kind of requirement. ;-)
There were some tasks related to WinAPI but these are mostly done now (there are few remaining details, but these already have Qt style APIs available).

Reply #18
Ok, I'll get back to you later then, look at some Qt first.

Ephron

Reply #19
@Ephron, OK, if you have questions then you can ask them on our IRC channel. :-)

Reply #20
I guess that it is time to create some more end user documentation, that would also help to find out which details of our implementation could be improved or be more Opera like where it gives benefits.
Any volunteers? ;-)

Reply #21
 ersi volunteers

Which area of the functions needs to be covered first?

Reply #22
I would propose we simply add things to this existing page: https://github.com/OtterBrowser/otter-browser/wiki/Documentation

The reason I added some text about quick preferences and site preferences is because I think Otter's "unique" features (I mean, Opera had them :P) probably require more explanation than "here's how browser history works".

Reply #23
Mkay, so there's no todo list, I can have my own ideas what's relevant and then I simply write it?

Reply #24
For the moment, I think so? The TOC might need some refinement though.