Skip to main content
Topic: Get involved in Otter (Read 26490 times)

Re: Get involved in Otter

Reply #25
Well, I will do my best to fill the empty headings with content and add what comes to mind.

Edit: I will surely have questions about some things. For example, right now it occurred to me that I have no clue where to get an overview of all the available mouse gestures. Mouse gestures cannot be reviewed and configured in UI like keyboard shortcuts can.

Where can I ask such questions? Will I create a new thread here or at github?

Edit2: Found the mouse gestures https://github.com/OtterBrowser/otter-browser/blob/master/resources/gestures/default.ini but if I have more questions, where will I create the thread?

Reply #26
@ersi, @Frenzie, yeah, we can start with that page, but later we would need to split into several sub pages, when there will be more content (just like our news section on main page should be split long time ago ;-)).
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #28
*64-bit QtWebEngine version of windows weekly127&128 cannot start without QT package. ???
(64-bit Qtwebengine version of windows weekly126 CAN start without QT package.)
- - - -
P.S.
*otter-browser-win64-weekly128-qtwebengine-v3.7z version of windows can start without QT package.  :up:

Reply #29
@Hebrew, yeah, these packages were broken after initial move to Qt 5.7.
I've updated URL for content blocking rules, thanks.

Reply #30
emdek can you please clarify something for me....

what is the difference between -weekly-xxx-qtwebengine and just -weekly-xxx ?
do these 2 use different engine (webkit vs blink) and which one is ... better ?

Reply #32
ok, so heres the thing:

ones with QTWebEngine are Blink based and highly unstable
while those without it are WebKit based and stabler (as in... don't crash as much)

(you can check this on Help -> About Otter, it will say what it uses)
who it would be nice to properly label these on DL links

Reply #33
please add this features.

*Printing to PDF
*Printing to various images (jpg, jpeg, gif, png, bmp&xpm) :idea:

- - - - - -
P.S.
indonesia adblock list changed
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/heradhis/indonesianadblockrules/master/subscriptions/abpindo.txt
arabic adblock list changed
https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/Liste_AR.txt
hebrew adblock list changed
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/easylist/EasyListHebrew/master/EasyListHebrew.txt :)

Reply #34
*Printing to PDF
*Printing to various images (jpg, jpeg, gif, png, bmp&xpm)  :idea:
This seems to me like something that is best handled by the OS. One of the only user-facing improvements in Windows 10, for instance, is the fact that it now supports PDF printing by default instead of trying to push XPS.

Save to PDF is something that would have to be implemented within the browser though. In that case we're talking about a PDF document with a TOC, clickable hyperlinks, etc. Unfortunately I don't think Blink/WebKit supports that.

Reply #35
@Emdek
Perhaps this is not the proper thread to ask but yet I would like to know- have you thought of implementing something like Opera Unite (a kind of simple web server)?

Reply #36
@smaragdus, nope, I guess that it's doable but I don't think that it makes sense as part of the core.

Reply #37
It's a pity that Opera Unite failed. Has there ever been anything else with a similar ease of use?

Reply #38
Hi!
Great work! Otter-Browser is really, really cool!  :up:
I am also one of those guys who is waiting for the email client. The email client is THE missing part in my opinion.
I would really like to help otter to make progress. So I just joined the team of translators (for the german language).
How can help to make the email module come true? I am not a C++ developer and especially not a QT Developer (just a Java developer).
Maybe one could start writing a document/specification for the email client? Or don't you use that and just look into the opera browser for how it should/could work? I don't know if some kind of specification/documentation would help at all....
Anyways, thanks again for this browser!