Skip to main content
Topic: Otter vis-a-vis Chropera (Read 3306 times)

Otter vis-a-vis Chropera

For reasons of clarity, I'm calling the new Chrome-clone Opera "Chropera" to distinguish it from Opera Presto.

Otter is a webkit-based itself, thus also a Chrome clone in a sense, but my personal preference is to keep it sharply apart from the direction Chropera has taken, including its so-called innovations. There's been a request voiced to include Stash and Discover in Otter https://github.com/Emdek/otter/issues/197

In my view, need for Stash is obviated by proper bookmarks management and notes feature. Excellent bookmarks and notes feature are the inheritance of Opera Presto, which I hope will be reflected in the development of Otter.

Discover would only make sense as a proper RSS manager. Opera had two kinds of RSS views:

- Subscription, which pulled the RSS items into the email component and stored them there. The stored items were then viewable like email messages.
- "Preview page" which displayed the list of the most recent items. This preview page was bookmarkable, i.e. it was possible to make RSS previews your way to manage and view RSS, without local storing.

In my opinion, these two ways to manage RSS are sufficiently superior to the barely manageable Discover.

Re: Otter vis-a-vis Chropera

Reply #1
@kardon, this could be considered, for now it should be enough to use option to print to PDF file, but I'm not sure if it is available for all platforms.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #2
Looks like there will be inevitably a kind of extensibility to the software, ability to install extensions. This is the least relevant thing I can think of. I am not attracted to extensions at all. Otter should do everything important out of the box, like a native internet suite a la Opera.

If extensions are to be implemented, then as the last thing, when everything else is ready. It should satisfy everyone to allow Chromium/Chrome's extensions as well as Chropera's, these two being pretty much non-different anyway.

Edit: On the other hand, I sure hope userJS and userCSS will be there. And there's a feature I requested in the old times, that never got implemented:
Ability to plug in an external text editor for forms, email composer, and notes.

Reply #4
@Frenzie, nope, it's not noted on page but I believe that this snippet is to be used with solutions like node.js, not in browsers, with HTML. ;-)
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.