Skip to main content
Topic: Downtime (Read 9715 times)

Downtime

What happened? lost the site for over half an hour.

The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Re: Downtime

Reply #2
People @freenode #otter-browser were missing us
Code: [Select]
17:55 < jjkl> hello
17:55 < jjkl> are the links of the dnd sanctuary right in the otter-browser's page?
17:56 < jjkl> I can't open them
17:57 <@Emdek> jjkl: hello, yes
17:58 <@Emdek> but for some reason I get network problem while trying to open that address, even already opened page shows that error after refreshing...
18:24 <@Emdek> jjkl: now it seems to work again
18:25 < ggr> there was downtime in thedndsanctuary

Reply #4
Odd. But I figure if there was a problem for 20 minutes in 100 days* it falls under 99% uptime. Let me know if there are any further troubles so I can take contact the host if required. :)

* Actually more like in 2 years to my knowledge, but then again I didn't notice this fluke.

The most likely source of that is when Frans's shaving, the servers lack voltage.:serious:
Not that it's any of your business, but I shave with blades. :P

Reply #7
Odd. But I figure if there was a problem for 20 minutes in 100 days*

It was nearer 45 minutes to be honest but that's just a guestimate.
it falls under 99% uptime.

'Tis true that.
Let me know if there are any further troubles so I can take contact the host if required.

Don't worry we will.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #10

Reply #11
50% is more than sufficient for store-and-forward protocols. On the other hand there are protocols that fail miserably on 99% (many participants, one failure means global failure).

Reply #12
At least the forum isn't being served from within someone's web browser. Who knows, this might be the future. Not long ago I heard my friend Frenzic (someone else) defending the proposed transition to some tiny battery powered embedded computers like Raspberry Pi or some such nonsense. That would deliver a whopping 50% uptime over some ad-hoc network.

I'm not really seeing how that follows. If I used a Raspberry Pi on my home connection things might be a bit slow — a Cubieboard2, on the other hand… — but why exactly would the connection be so bad?

Reply #13
I don't see what's the problem with downtime.
We should turn off the forum a couple days per week.

Like music is made of silences the forum should be made of absences... :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #14

I'm not really seeing how that follows. If I used a Raspberry Pi on my home connection things might be a bit slow — a Cubieboard2, on the other hand… — but why exactly would the connection be so bad?

I just got a Cubieboard3 :right:
The problem with the RPi is that the only way to connect any kind of storage ( other than the SD card ) is USB, and the on-chip USB controller is a bit ... special. Also, the onboard Ethernet port is just a USB chip. The Cubieboards on the other hand have on-chip Ethernet and SATA-II.

Reply #15
Was there a downtime again yesterday?

Reply #16
Was there a downtime again yesterday?

I didn't notice any problems at my end.

Reply #18
When I tried to access the site this morning I got a white page. Nothing seemed off, so I deleted the server-side cache and that fixed it. I have no idea what it was.

Edit: clarification, it was the server-side cache I deleted.

Reply #19
For me too it was just a white page, not a disconnection or anything.

Reply #20
Sorry, I was unclear. It's the forum's cache I deleted, not my browser's.

Reply #23
Was I the only one who had problems yesterday?
I came to the forum, read the new posts, deleted a spam post and after that I couldn't get the site to load again. Couldn't troubleshoot it as I had visitors, but numerous attempts to load the site were met with failure.

Reply #24
I didn't notice anything.