Skip to main content
Topic: Forum Stats (Read 16532 times)

Re: Forum Stats

Reply #25
It's AWStats, but the specifics are out of my control.

Reply #26
@Frenzie, these are still alive? :-D
We could always mod forum to store UA of each post, I've done such mod for phpBB and PunBB, using assets and data from my statistics.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #27
Sure, someone already made one. I added it to the site as a trial right now. I'll add in support for Otter myself if I decide I like it. (Or I could just make it display the plain user agent without any processing. Or keep it secret… or…)

Reply #28
A thing appeared bellow my flag. OS and Browser I use.
What is that for? I know perfectly what I use.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #29
I thought it might be fun. It can disappear as quickly as it appeared.

Reply #30
@Frenzie, I would go for smaller icons (16 x 16), skip labels (these could be shown on click using alert, along full UA string) and place them somewhere else, to take less space.

Reply #32
Right now I see the browser and OS beside my most recent posts. I guess it emerged today. This is a Good Thing!!!

Reply #33

@Frenzie, I would go for smaller icons (16 x 16), skip labels (these could be shown on click using alert, along full UA string) and place them somewhere else, to take less space.

Yup, all things I'd consider. :)

Right now I see the browser and OS beside my most recent posts. I guess it emerged today. This is a Good Thing!!!

Well, it's good as long as you ignore the "Safari" that Emdek's using. :P

Reply #34
No matter what people are using, it's good to advertise these techy bits of our little personalities. It fits the character of the forum.

If Belfrager is overly alarmed at this element, give users an option to turn this infobit off in user settings. But the default should be as it is now.

Reply #35
Huh, this is odd. The system doesn't seem to recognize my Linux:

Code: [Select]
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/538.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Otter/0.9.01-dev Safari/538.1

Remind me in July if I didn't get around to fixing up some code. I'm still fairly busy throughout most of June (albeit not quite as busy as in May).

@Emdek
Is such a messy UA really necessary, btw? It's kind of headache inducing. :P

Reply #36
@Frenzie, yes, this is how it's supposed to be, it's used by all WebKit based browsers.
It could be worse. ;-)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Ubuntu Chromium/34.0.1847.116 Chrome/34.0.1847.116 Safari/537.36

You don't need to check whole UA, it's enough to check for:
Code: [Select]
Otter/([\w\.]+)

And always run checks in correct order (Chrome and Safari always at end).

Reply #37
Android detection would also be a good addition. But the profile button next to each post is unnecessary. Nicknames already take to the profile.

Reply #38
@ersi, or it could be modified, as on some other forum I'm using, clicking nickname adds it to reply field.
Quite useful. ;-)

Reply #39
And always run checks in correct order (Chrome and Safari always at end).

I'm really not interested in writing my own UA interpreting script — except for adding Otter if I'll keep the display this way. :) I'm partial to just a plain UA string, myself. :D

Android detection would also be a good addition.

It's already there in the code. It must be something about your user agent. Presumably Settings > Advanced > User Agent is set to Desktop, making the lack of Android detection quite intentional.

PS I don't have a convenient way to see the actual user agent atm.

Reply #40

Android detection would also be a good addition.

It's already there in the code. It must be something about your user agent. Presumably Settings > Advanced > User Agent is set to Desktop, making the lack of Android detection quite intentional.

Hey, you're right. I've set my mobile Opera to identify as Desktop, because some sites fed me their crappy mobile versions. Must keep this in mind when visiting this forum.

@Emdek
Yes, if the button threw the nick into the text area, that would be absolutely fabulous.

Reply #42
Yes, I think people would appreciate it a little. I personally am mostly on a browser that doesn't do javascript :)

Reply #43
@ersi, AFAIR at least one console browser does it just enough so in theory it might work there (as long as it speaks DOM ;-)), isn't that ELinks?

Reply #44
Elinks does javascript when you compile it that way according to some instructions out of my power http://elinks.or.cz/documentation/html/manual.html-chunked/ch01s06.html

Maybe my version came with some of it pre-compiled. I haven't checked. I don't know or care. On some sites I see the warning that javascript is not working, but this may also be because display:none and collapse tricks are not working here.