Skip to main content
Topic: Feature Requests (Read 92732 times)

Re: Feature Requests

Reply #25
Another thing I like in Opera is right-click+mouse-scroll to show the list of open tabs. Useful precisely in (proper) full screen. This for me completely compensates the lack of visible toolbars in full screen.

Agreed, although I prefer to use it with Ctrl+Tab. In Firefox I've effected the same result with Tab Mix Plus.

Reply #26
  It would be real nice to eventually be able to simply make  personalized
user "Custom Buttons" , "Custom Menus", & "Custom Toolbars" to place them on.

Reply #27
@SmileyFaze, there are two unresolved issues to get custom context menu and toolbars (these two are closely related, also with custom menu bar):
1. storage format (currently YAML like formatted JSON seems to be best idea, as it is quite user friendly and has built-in support in Qt);
2. how to manage actions in most efficient way, since each one must have one instance of QAction per main window (to be shown on tool bars etc) and most of them must have instances per tab too (it's required by MDI, to show correct states in navigation bar of each subwindow , especially for actions like go back or forward).

Second issue is more important since it has direct impact on memory usage.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #28
I request the following two features:

1. A preference option to use the same keyboard shortcuts as were used in Opera 9.2.
2. The ability to find-in-page from the address bar.

By using these two features in combination, in Opera as it had been, I was able to forgo the use of the mouse entirely and input every browser command I wished, right from the keyboard. So far as I know, this ability has not been available in any other browser. It was the principal reason I was a devoted user of Opera.

Reply #29
Otter can only gain by integrating this improved Image Properties function, I think :)

EXIF Viewer Extension for Chromium Based Browsers

Somebody please help him out with security audit too. The extension contains links to Google and those need some checking.

QuHno is a major fan of old Opera. Did I say major? I mean general or even admiral!

Reply #30
1. A preference option to use the same keyboard shortcuts as were used in Opera 9.2.
2. The ability to find-in-page from the address bar.

We have support for defining keyboard profiles, so as long as someone will have enough time to complete proper list then it's not a problem. :-)
Find in page from address bar? Was there something like that? I only remember there used to be such option in search combo box.

ersi, it's done using JS (I've used such solution to read EXIF from JS recently, for some project at work), so it surely is perfect candidate for QtWebEngine (AFAIK we can use JS for that stuff even if it is disabled for page itself) but in QtWebKit it would require enabled JS.

Reply #32
@ersi, yes, looks useful, especially by defining platform specific shortcuts. :-)
We could later try to add importer for these profiles or at least host some kind of script to import them.

Reply #33
Many thanks to both Emdek and ersi for your prompt and encouraging responses. In case they may be of additional assistance, beyond what is specified in http://www.fredfred.net/download/Opera/defaults/standard_keyboard.ini, I have included links to the keyboard shortcuts help pages from release 9.2, culled from the Internet Archive Wayback Machine. There are separate help pages for each of the following platforms: Windows, Mac, Linux, Solaris and FreeBSD.

Opera 9.2 Keyboard Shortcuts for Windows - http://help.opera.com/Windows/9.20/en/keyboard.html
Opera 9.2 Keyboard Shortcuts for Mac- http://help.opera.com/Mac/9.20/en/keyboard.html
Opera 9.2 Keyboard Shortcuts for Linux - http://help.opera.com/Linux/9.20/en/keyboard.html
Opera 9.2 Keyboard Shortcuts for Solaris - http://help.opera.com/Solaris/9.20/en/keyboard.html
Opera 9.2 Keyboard Shortcuts for FreeBSD - http://help.opera.com/FreeBSD/9.20/en/keyboard.html

Thanks again. I am looking forward with great eagerness to the Otter remedy for the Opera calamity.

glennhowardsecure

Reply #34
@glennhowardsecure, thanks, we are currently compiling comparison table:
https://github.com/Emdek/otter/wiki/Actions

Reply #36
There is a very tiny… thing (not sure if I can call this a feature), that Otter is missing compared to Opera 12.  :D I'm talking about the last tab closing button behaviour – I think it should revert such a tab to a blank screen (or a speed dial, but it's not already there in Otter Browser)… omg it's stupid :lol:

Reply #37
Hi, very cool browser. I've just downloaded it and still looking around.

I see others have mentioned the keyboard short cuts, the one I'm looking for is the standard windows ctrl+tab to change the tabs or ctrl+shift+tab to go back in the tabs.

I was experimenting with trying to set up a keyboard shortcut and it has the option there of "Go to tab on right" and "Go to tab on left", but I couldn't get this to work. I'll keep trying, but funny thing when I tried to make the shortcut ctrl+tab, it changed from the actions tab to the Informations tab.

Anyway, good stuff so far!!

Reply #38
@muzzthegreat Hi and welcome. Pressing the '1' and '2' keys to cycle left and right through open tabs is working for me 'out of the box' no configuration required here.

Reply #39
Oh yes! That does work. Very good and thanks for pointing that out.

I've just noticed, as I like to use my keyboard a lot, in other browsers pushing space bar moves the screen down, shift+space moves it up. Is there another shortcut for that?

Thanks

Reply #40

@muzzthegreat Hi and welcome. Pressing the '1' and '2' keys to cycle left and right through open tabs is working for me 'out of the box' no configuration required here.

The point is that these shortcuts are un-Operatic whereas endless configuration options are Opera's style. Hence the request is relevant.

Reply #41
Hello. Could you implement ability of switch to opera's developer tool (Dragonfly)? I realy like it. Thank you.

Reply #42
DragonFly is only compatible with Presto, although I seem to remember hearing something about it being ported to Blink.

Reply #43
@nikita.bsadly it is out of our scope.

@Frenzie, this could be interesting, as long as QtWebEngine devs would add API to set it.'
AFAIK that shouldn't be that hard, as these tools (both Dragon Fly and Web Inspector) are kind of HTML and JS based extensions.

Reply #44
AFAIK that shouldn't be that hard, as these tools (both Dragon Fly and Web Inspector) are kind of HTML and JS based extensions.

True, but DragonFly heavily depends on the special Scope protocol. In any case I have no idea what they're doing or if they're doing it at all; I only know that Opera/Blink still comes with the standard Webkit/Blink web inspector.

Reply #45
@Frenzie, yeah, but I wouldn't be surprised if they would publish Blink friendly version (or add support for missing stuff into their build) unless they want to stay as Chrome with custom theme...

Reply #46
I sure hope so! :)

Reply #47
I know that the point is to get Opera feeling from final product, but can we have (optional) Safari-like history view?

It is useful when you can't remember the name of a site you visited.

Reply #48
@jcd89
Wouldn't this just cause hiccups in older computers? The point is to deliver a recognisable, functional, and developer-wise manageable product to a wider variety of platforms.

Reply #49

Trying the current build here, I note that keyboard shortcuts are underdeveloped and they do not figure on the todo list either. No file concerning them is in the profile folder (.config/otter). What's the status?

I'll second the request for better keyboard shortcuts.

For me, the missing essential shortcuts are:

• back

• forward

• next link

• prev link

• next form field

• prev form field

• spatial navigation up

• spatial navigation down

• spatial navigation left

• spatial navitagion right

After reading some of the Github threads, I understand that not all of these are trivial to implement.  I just wanted to register the request :)