Skip to main content
Topic: Questions to the Developer (Read 37202 times)

Conneting to the adblock server on every start

Reply #75
security issue?

Re: Questions to the Developer

Reply #76
@rincewind, what kind of security issue?
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #77
What rincewind probably means is that the app seems to "call home". I am actually concerned about the same thing due to the way the bookmarks file is formatted.

Reply #78
@ersi, please elaborate more, what was the context of that post?

Reply #79
Rincewind wrote this: Conneting to the adblock server on every start - security issue?

I think he has detected that there's some connection made to some adblock server (?) when Otter starts up.

My own concern is about the extra url in metadata owner tag in bookmarks.xbel file. I don't know how to verify if apps call anywhere unnecessarily.

Reply #80
I think there should be a setting for the frequency with which to connect to the adblock server. easylist.txt has 1,4 MB. I wouldn't want to download that daily just because one line has been changed or added.
Something like:
- Check at every program start
- Check at program start if last check more than 48 hours ago
- Check at program start if last check more than 7 days ago
- Don't check automatically. (combined with a button for manual check)

Reply #81
@ersi, @py-thon, ah, that one.
AFAIK (I'm not the author of that part) it's checked each three days, some extra setting may make sense.
We have started rework of this code and we can include these suggestions too.

Note that it doesn't apply to default settings (content blocking is disabled by default).

Reply #82

@ersi, @py-thon, ah, that one.
AFAIK (I'm not the author of that part) it's checked each three days, some extra setting may make sense.
We have started rework of this code and we can include these suggestions too.

Note that it doesn't apply to default settings (content blocking is disabled by default).

It should be common sense that the app doesn't autoupdate or call anywhere unless the user makes an explicit request. I did not even know that adblock autoupdates itself. I know FF extensions, including adblocks, tend to autoupdate themselves, but I didn't know this is how in their mind it should work. It obviously shouldn't.

To appeal to privacy-aware people, Otter's adblock should behave as closely similar to Opera's urlfilter.ini as possible. The users should be able to customise the files, modify the contents and add files any way they want, and the files should not change automatically - definitely not by simply enabling adblock. If the adblock autoupdate is considered a desirable option, it should be a few explicit clicks away.

It's one thing to enable adblock. It's a completely different thing to enable autoupdates for adblock.

Reply #83
@ersi, the closest replacement for urlfilter.ini would be special list created manually or using interface known from classic Opera, which is still missing.
We don't ship any content blocking rules, just headers with title and source URL, so they had to be updated at least once anyway.
Auto update makes sense as default, most of users of AdBlock expect it to work that way, just enable and forget about manual updates. Note that by default nothing gets downloaded as by default all lists are disabled.

What we need is new design for that dialog, probably new column with checkbox to decide if this list should be auto updated.
Or combo box, with update interval (lists may provide default value using ! Expires: rule) and special value, Never.

Reply #84
My position is the way it is because I thought adblock worked like urlfilter.ini. I have made some modifications to the adblock lists thinking that they would be preserved, and it would be sad if some random updates overwrite them. When I create my own adblock file, I most definitely expect it to stay the way I created it.

Reply #85
@ersi, right now you can force that by removing ! URL: rule from modified file.

Reply #86
I noticed a "Click to load all plugins on the page", a puzzle icon in the address field. Does it load plugins for that specific tab? If yes, then maybe the more appropriate name is "Click to load all plugins in the tab".

And does it work only when plugins are blocked or set to load on demand? If yes, maybe add another similar icon to handle cookies, i.e. when cookies are disabled or set to "Never", then if the webpage has cookies, there would appear an icon to permit all cookies for that tab, until the tab is closed.

Reply #87
@ersi, it's just for on demand, doing that for cookies is close to impossible, as we need to know if we should accept them before loads starts.
It behaves almost the same way as in Opera, including name.
You could use option to ask if specific cookie should be accepted, although right now that will lead to crash if there is more than one cookie. :-/

Reply #88
Where's relaease #69? Announced but not uploaded.
I have been waiting all day.
And then... something happened.
(the Narrator)

Reply #89
On otter-browser.org you can read:

Weekly report #69 (27-04-2015)
Yet another slow week:

12 commits by two authors,
seven new issues (3 closed),
123 issues still open (including 5 bugs).

No packages this time, but next week should be more productive. ;-)

@denes: So there will be no release this week.

Reply #90

On otter-browser.org you can read:

Weekly report #69 (27-04-2015)
Yet another slow week:

12 commits by two authors,
seven new issues (3 closed),
123 issues still open (including 5 bugs).

No packages this time, but next week should be more productive. ;-)

@denes: So there will be no release this week.

:doh: OK, I got it. No package=no release. Doh.
And then... something happened.
(the Narrator)

Reply #91
In opera (blink) you can choose to show bookmarks on start page as a screenshots or site names can you create this feature for otter browser please

Reply #92

In opera (blink) you can choose to show bookmarks on start page as a screenshots or site names can you create this feature for otter browser please

Is this different from Speeddial in Opera Presto?

Reply #94

I dont know i was a little time user of the opera 12. (My main browser is opera (blink)But i like this feature.
http://blogs.opera.com/news/2014/11/image-preview-for-bookmarks-in-opera/

Looks like Speeddial-like previews migrated into Bookmarks manager. Similar to previews option in fancier file managers. Is that correct?

For me personally previews in Speeddial are perfectly sufficient. Big images over the entire Bookmarks manager are hard to sort and scroll.

Such big previews make sense only for a limited set of most-used bookmarks, like in Speeddial. Low priority elsewhere.

Reply #95

I dont know i was a little time user of the opera 12. (My main browser is opera (blink)But i like this feature.
http://blogs.opera.com/news/2014/11/image-preview-for-bookmarks-in-opera/

Looks like Speeddial-like previews migrated into Bookmarks manager. Similar to previews option in fancier file managers. Is that correct?

For me personally previews in Speeddial are perfectly sufficient. Big images over the entire Bookmarks manager are hard to sort and scroll.

Such big previews make sense only for a limited set of most-used bookmarks, like in Speeddial. Low priority elsewhere.

Yes i mean it for Speeddial. I know that it is not the best feature but it is good as an option that you can use i  don't mean something like "you need to create it now" I know it is a hard work. About file managers yes some file manager has this features even windows explorer has it as an option :-)

Reply #96
@timur dokhnadze, beta 6 added start page (speed dial) which supports previews, but I'm not convinced that we should have such option for all of bookmarks, but since start page uses subset of them it would be easier to integrate that because storage could be shared (files are named after identifier of bookmark).

Reply #97
3 questions:
1.how to turn (On) save password?
2.when the e-mail client?
3.when adding extensions? 

Reply #98
@janusz48, three answers:
1. it's not available yet but it will be one of the highest priosrity tasks for next beta, see #832;
2. there is no ETA yet, we have a volunteer on IRC which might try to create it as part of thesis but I'm not aware about progress yet, if that attempt will fail then we will have to wait for it some more months...
3. full blown extensions support also has no ETA yet but I'll try to resume my work on scriptlets soon (see #42) and user scripts could be finally tackled as QtWebEngine stabilized their API which allows to support them more properly than was possible with QtWebKit.

Reply #99
It gets better.Thanks