Skip to main content
Topic: Today's Good News (Read 155074 times)

Re: Today's Good News

Reply #675
It was an election campaign promise. That seems fairly cut and dry.

Reply #676
With so many important and urgent things Mr Biden should be concerned with it makes no sense to worry with what a NATO's member,Turkey, did more than one hundred years ago. There must be business going on.
Of course it is not nice to piss off a fellow NATO member, but the genocide is not a trifle and there are more like it ongoing (oppression against Kurds, occupation of North Cyprus).

All in all, Turkey is an outlier in NATO in a similar way as UK was an outlier in EU. We got rid of UK for less reasons...

Edit: By the way, The Young Turks (a tangentially ethnic Democrat-leaning media outlet in USA) have a complex but overall positive take on it.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5o4u4Wow3o[/video]

Reply #677
Edit: By the way, The Young Turks (a tangentially ethnic Democrat-leaning media outlet in USA) have a complex but overall positive take on it.

Ana Kasparian has an Armenian background, so it's maybe not too surprising she was happy about Biden decision to just do it, unlike previous presidents.

Incidentally, the verbal gymnastics on the "Ottoman-era Armenian genocide" has made some around here dissatisfied. By avoiding fingering Turkey directly, Assyrian and Greeks were not explicitly included.

But currently the genocide on Rohingya in Burma should be the one to follow up on.

Reply #678
All in all, Turkey is an outlier in NATO in a similar way as UK was an outlier in EU. We got rid of UK for less reasons...
Erdoğan's Turkey is not Kemal Atatürk's Republic... I still remember it's refusal of fly-over rights [...let's not quibble over the word!) during the U.S. invasion of Iraq. Turkey today is still not accepted into the EU, and I see no reason to keep it in NATO.
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #681
I see no reason to keep it in NATO.
Turkey belongs to NATO since 1952.
They always performed very well at all the exercises they were involved, so let's keep them this way.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #682
They always performed very well at all the exercises they were involved, so let's keep them this way.
Recently there have been exceptions, such as they killed off Kurds who were doing the best job fighting ISIS https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/10/10/turkey-attacks-kurds-who-battled-isis-us-forces-just-days-ago/3934503002/

Moreover, in the Young Turks video I linked earlier, they say that Turkey has started trading with Russia for military equipment, something that I know from other sources too. So, things are not so lucid with Turkey. A Nato member arming the enemy, there should have been a line somewhere before this.

Reply #684
A little more complicated...
进行 ...

Reply #686
Armenia's vaccination plan is to vaccinate Iranians.

Armenia has approved three vaccines against COVID-19 - Russia's Sputnik V, China's CoronaVac and AstraZeneca's vaccine and initially offered all of them free to foreign visitors.

The Armenian Tourism Committee said more than 8,500 Iranian citizens had visited in June, up from 5,000 a month earlier.

Reply #687
La Vuelta - An Estonian cyclist got the red jersey, the first place. Let's see if he keeps it in today's stage.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #690
Burger King veteran of 27 years gets goodie bag for never missing a day of work in viral video

Every now and again a story comes along that shows how much goodness there truly is in the world.

On Monday, subreddit r/ABoringDystopia posted a video of a Burger King employee named Kevin Ford, 54, who received a gift from upper management in honor of his 27 years on the job. In the video, which was originally posted on TikTok, Ford delves into the items he received from HMS Host, the company from which Burger King hires, which included a Starbucks reusable tumbler, a bag of Reese’s candy, pens and two rolls of Lifesavers, amongst other items. Additionally, managers at the Las Vegas Burger King where Ford works gave him a slice of chocolate cake to celebrate the milestone.
I had to look up what "two rolls of Lifesavers" could be. It's this:

Indeed, so much good in the world!

Reply #691
Demonstrators in Sri Lanka find the president's palace quite enjoyable.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R3LXtMZHJI[/video]

Reply #693
Yesterday was the American holiday, Memorial Day. It began as Decoration Day. And no more fitting description of its import can be found than Frederick Douglas' address given in 1871.

And: As the nation celebrates a day honoring its military heroes, the importance of Memorial Day is rated higher than ever.
进行 ...

Reply #694
Estonia's education not that good anymore, but still good.
Although Estonia's 15-year-olds were only outperformed by their contemporaries from two other OECD countries – Japan and South Korea – in the latest PISA test (that excludes Singapore, an OECD partner country), the math and functional reading skills of Estonia's youth have fallen over the last four years. Teachers say this is mainly down to distance learning due to the pandemic, while the lack of sufficiently qualified teachers may also play a role.