Skip to main content
Topic: Today's Good News (Read 155074 times)

Today's Good News

Have you noticed that we usually debate only the bad things in life.

In this thread anyone can put down current news that they think is good (can be on any subject but not nasty, please, or so controversial that it provokes arguments). We can debate it and then move on when someone else posts some more happiness!

So I’ll start with this gem, which will brings tears of joy to many, I am sure.

Chocolate is Good for you

Yes – it’s official
Dark chocolate may be healthier

It’s good for a cough and it’s good for your heart.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Re: Today's Good News

Reply #1

Now you're making me craving for chocolate. :P Is hot chocolate drink included?

Reply #2

Ok......Now you've done it....you've found my Achilles Heel

Reply #3
The "good news"? string provided the first substantial thread here! Hear! Hear! and Hip-hip hooray!

It bodes well…
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #4
Love chocolate but it does unhappy things to my body, so very little of it goes into my mouth.

Reply #5
I love chocolate. I just don't like dark chocolate. I told my boss, post evaluation, that if we didn't receive raises this year then I wanted to be paid extra in Snickers.  :D

Reply #6
So it's good news for the ladies
Microsoft working on a smart bra to measure mood

Unfortunately for the men "Efforts to create a similar piece of underwear for men worked less well, largely because the sensors were located too far away from the heart."

Oh I don't know, there could be some uses. ::)

Reply #7
Unfortunately for the men "Efforts to create a similar piece of underwear for men worked less well, largely because the sensors were located too far away from the heart."

Oh, I don't know. Doesn't it depend on the size....never mind.

Reply #8
Rwanda sends peacekeeping forces to Central African Republic
Rwandan Foreign Minister Louise Mushikiwabo said on her Twitter feed that Rwanda's armed forces were preparing to send troops after the African Union asked her country to participate.

I have to admit that in my mind, Rwanda still lingered as one of the most war-torn countries on earth. Clearly a lot has changed and improved.

Reply #9
It's raining. Right now, here, that's good news. My van gets a free "wash" such as it is, and just a few miles to the North of my location the news isn't so wonderful. They're having an ice storm in the "Land of the Cheeseheads" and that's a good place for it.

Note: This is one time I can't help Josh with a quick explanation. Cheeseheads are--- something else. There is no adequate explanation for a Cheesehead-- you have to be "Behind the Cheddar Curtain" to really understand.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #10
Dutch people are also cheeseheads. ;)

Reply #11

Different kind of Cheesehead. Wisconsin is home to the Green Bay Packers, who wear funny hats amongst other things. The hat is shaped like a slice of cheese, hence the name.
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #12
I didn't know they adopted hats that looked like cheese, but I imagine the nickname came before the hat? For Wisconsinites in general, that is.

Reply #14

Different kind of Cheesehead. Wisconsin is home to the Green Bay Packers, who wear funny hats amongst other things. The hat is shaped like a slice of cheese, hence the name.

I hate to correct you but I feel the need. The name Green Bay Packer has nothing to do with cheese. They wear those funny (weird) hats because Wisconsin is the dairy state. Not only are they known for their love of cheese but some big named breweries are in Milwaukee. Cheese and beer!

Reply #15
You can correct me all you want, this is one time I'm on fairly solid ground. Wisconsin is the Cheese State, but the wearing of the funny hat is mainly a Packer's thing more than anything else. If you wear that hat, anybody and everybody will assume you're a Packers fan. Especially around my neck of the woods, in Bear country.

Reply #16
I'm fully aware that they wear those weird hats. It's because the Packer's are from the cheese state. I lived there for 12+ years so I know more than you think. They may have started the weird hats but the name was around prior to the Packers.  ;)

Reply #19
Social media stimulate small languages. I'm sure every migrant can affirm this in some way, although personally I'm probably more in contact with Netherlandic Dutch through traditional media like books and newspaper articles (although the latter mostly online) than through anything new to this era. But I suppose that's part of the difference between a widely spoken living language like Dutch and a minority Indian language with few speakers. Even YouTube videos are helping to preserve languages linguists didn't even know existed until recently because they were spoken only in some far-off places in India (Wikipedia)—and without a linguist having to go into the field with a tape recorder.