Skip to main content
Topic: Today's Good News (Read 155072 times)

Re: Today's Good News

Reply #75
This is very good news even if a bit dated.
http://www.theonion.com/articles/50-of-americans-oppose-intervention-in-syria,33688/[/url]
From that piece...
50% Of Americans Oppose Intervention In Syria
AMERICAN VOICES • Opinion • ISSUE 49•35 • Aug 30, 2013

According to an NBC poll, 50 percent of Americans oppose the use of military force against Syria in the wake of a purported chemical weapons attack by the government of Bashar al-Assad, compared to 42 percent who support military action. What do you think?

“It’s true. Half of me wants to intervene but the other half doesn’t care.”
Hugh D’Aquino –
Film Developer

“Well, we have to bomb somebody.”
Jaleel Piercy –
Systems Analyst

Reply #76
Stone me what has gone wrong with the ex-colonies? Some 50% have retreated from war starting?!  :yikes:
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #77
 :D I'd love to stone you. :devil:

Polling is complicated as this poll indicates. A growing number of Americans are sick of foreign "adventures". I've been there for a long time and welcome everybody who comes aboard.
Americans also opposed military intervention in Syria in a May Gallup survey. In that poll, by 68% to 24%, Americans opposed military action "to attempt to end the conflict" if "all economic and diplomatic efforts fail to end the civil war in Syria."

Don't ask me. I oppose cat killing and oatmeal.

Reply #78

Stone me what has gone wrong with the ex-colonies? Some 50% have retreated from war starting?!  :yikes:

That's what happens when they see too many kids they know come back in caskets.

Reply #79

That's what happens when they see too many kids they know come back in caskets.
I don't think so. We've seen thousands of caskets arrive since 1941 without this sort of reaction. World War II involved a sense of national imperilment. Korea and Vietnam were associated with a fear of international communism. That said, there was significant opposition to the Vietnamese war, particularly among younger Americans.

Few on the Left today are concerned about endangerment from Syrian problems. The Right is another matter, but only to a degree. Much of that opposition is fueled by the politics of congressional elections which are coming up this year. Even the rightists of the Tea Party are reluctant.
In Florida, Tea Party supporters are organizing to pressure Congress not to support the airstrike that President Obama has called for, in the event of a breakdown in the diplomatic efforts involving Russia. “We are calling our representatives and demanding they vote no on this,” said Billie Tucker, a founder of the First Coast Tea Party in Jacksonville, Fla.

Reply #81
Unfortunately jimbro the war countries you quote are a small selection and there have been a far bigger list of destabilsing and war matters. That there more who are getting fed up with war after war, etc is a good sign for the future and to be commended. The tragedy is that since the time I quoted what the Republican President Eisenhower said about corporate warnings, it has got worse. No-one took much notice of that incumbent of the White House when he said that because they thought he was wrong. Even he could not have imagined the change that a proportion of people have woken up to in more recent times. However changing their power and influence deeply embedded on the Hill is a mountain to climb.

Reply #82
The good news today is Reggie Watts.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0RU_Nyr4l4[/video]

Reply #83
Never heard of him but as you are in a lot nice for you of course.

Reply #84
Upsee harness: Mother's invention to give disabled son chance to walk will help countless other families following worldwide launch

A revolutionary new harness designed by a mother to give her wheelchair-bound son a chance to walk has been launched on a worldwide market.

Debby Elnatan, a music therapist whose son Rotem has cerebral palsy, said the idea for a support harness came from her own “pain and desperation”, but will go on to make lives easier for countless families across the world struggling with disability.

It was designed to enable Rotem to stand upright and, by attaching it to herself, Ms Elnatan and her son could take steps together.

Reply #85
 :cheers:
1. The Czech Republic consumes more beer per capita than any other country in the world.
Beating out Germany, Ireland and Belgium, the country drinks on average about 161 liters of beer per person each year, according to figures from The Economist. However, beer production seems to be declining, says the Czech Association of Brewers. Production has fallen 8% from last year, hitting its lowest level since 1989, the group said. If the trend continues, the country could eventually give up its stronghold on beer consumption relative to population.

http://www.bbc.com/travel/blog/20110324-travelwise-seven-surprising-facts-about-czech-beer

Reply #86
Quote from: BBC
3. In Prague, beer is cheaper than bottled water.
Beer prices get as low as 14 koruna a pint (that's $0.80 or 0.54 euros), whereas water costs about 35 koruna for a .33 litre bottle.

Prices are higher now, but that still applies. I used to run a restaurant, and made the calculation that a customer ordering one bottle of water, drunk it, and left would be more profitable than a customer drinking beer all evening. Nothing we sold was as profitable as water. I suggested we should start a water bar instead, selling nothing but water.

Then the crisis came in 2008 and people, having less money to share, stopped buying water with their wine, and the restaurant had to close.

Reply #87
I used to run a restaurant, and made the calculation that a customer ordering one bottle of water, drunk it, and left would be more profitable than a customer drinking beer all evening.

Water (bottled and served at restaurants) is even more expensive than gasoline.
Anyway, a bar or restaurant full of clients drinking beer will attract many other clients while a place with people drinking water will attract no one.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #88

Quote from: BBC
3. In Prague, beer is cheaper than bottled water.
Beer prices get as low as 14 koruna a pint (that's $0.80 or 0.54 euros), whereas water costs about 35 koruna for a .33 litre bottle.
Nothing we sold was as profitable as water. I suggested we should start a water bar instead, selling nothing but water.
Forget that. How about a "truck bomb" in Munich.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvvztCmbbuA[/video]

Reply #89
My meeting with my tax preparer went well!

Reply #91
Two things every American has, no matter how poor:

- tax preparer
- shrink

Awesome stuff I learned from movies.

Reply #92
A tax preparer is an expert who helps people calculate the amount of money that has to be paid in taxes.

Reply #94
A tax preparer is an expert who helps people calculate the amount of money that has to be paid in taxes.

Thks.
How not to pay seems more useful to me. We have experts on that.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #95

Thks.
How not to pay seems more useful to me. We have experts on that.

Everybody everywhere does that. Some are better than others, however.

Larry Ellison, a billionaire, and the CEO of the Redwood City-based Oracle Corporation is one of them.

Ellison will have to pay taxes on his $90.6 million (or more if Oracle’s stock price outperforms the options pricing model they used to guess the value of the shares he may purchase), but until he exercises the options it’s all deferred. So last year Oracle and Ellison temporarily sheltered $90.6 million from the tax man.

Reply #96

Two things every American has, no matter how poor:

- tax preparer
- shrink

Awesome stuff I learned from movies.

I assume that this homeless from Albuquerque who was shot to death because of illegal camping, had neither a tax preparer nor a shrink.

Warning, violent graphic video:
[video]http://youtu.be/6tpAZObNZfI[/video]

Reply #98
Larry Ellison, a billionaire, and the CEO of the Redwood City-based Oracle Corporation is one of them.

It's always easy to billionaires not to pay taxes, any billionaire can do it....
The difficult thing my friend is to people like me not paying it, something that I dedicate much of my effort to. I regarded it as a duty. :)
A matter of attitude.