Skip to main content
Topic: Today's Good News (Read 155870 times)

Re: Today's Good News

Reply #200
Thanks, String. I sat down to post this bit of good news and you had already done it. We had been sitting around the screen at 3:00 A.M.,  not a little tense, watching it unfold. Amazing.

Reply #201
A fantastic achievement. Also see xkcd.

Reply #202
Rosetta Spacecraft has landed on a comet

I don't like the surface of that comet (see the photo at the article). Maybe we should wait for a more attractive one.
Comets are always passing by.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #203
Well I got some good news.

My gas and electric supply company have a refund for me. I pay set amounts by direct debit monthly and each year you get a statement to see whether you owe them or the other way round. This time the bonanza is on my side. Adding to gas and electric they owe me comes to a whopping £300 and the best yet. Being a canny Scot has it's values.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #204
Five or six years ago I discovered one day that my gas/electric service had been severed… I walked down to the provider's office to complain.
The pleasant person behind the counter looked up the particulars of my account and, gasping, said, "You haven't paid a bill in six months!"
I asked, "And how much do I owe — in total?"
Another gasp was clearly audible: "Uh — $76."
I ponied-up the cash and my service was restored within the hour.

Your milage may vary! But my experience has been that a business wants to get paid and to get good reviews, both. (Imagine the stink I could have made… :) )
Of course, if it's a government monopoly, all bets are off — at least as far as reviews are concerned.

RJ, you're like the schmoes who feel "lucky" when they receive their income tax refund checks! :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #206
Re the Comet mission -

For those that are interested and who can also get BBC television live or recorded, note that there is a programme on BBC 4 at 21.00 hrs (22.00 hrs (mostly) European time) entitled "The Sky at night" - see here.
Rosetta: A Sky at Night Special
The Sky at Night

It is one of the most extraordinary space adventures in a generation - to land a spacecraft on a comet.

The European Space Agency's (ESA) Rosetta spacecraft has been hurtling through space for over 10 years, tracking down a comet called 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko. Now it is about to do something that has never been attempted before and land a spacecraft on the comet's surface.

This special episode of The Sky at Night puts the viewer right at the heart of the action, witnessing events as they happened from inside mission control. It reveals the latest images, explores the first groundbreaking science coming back from the comet and asks the astonishing questions that make this mission so captivating. Could Earth's water have come from comets? How do comets survive for so long? Could they have triggered the start of life on Earth?

The journey has been fraught with risk and at every stage the comet seems to surprise, but if the mission succeeds it will be a momentous day in the history of space exploration.

Reply #208
Good news! You want good news? How about this?

It's now the third day in a row that Kim Kardashian has been the top trending term on Google News. But that's sure to change soon because it's Friday and what everyone's been waiting for is finally here: The G20!

:cheers:

Reply #209
It seems that the probe did not have a "clean" landing since it bounced and travelled several hundred metres before it finally settled on the surface. It seems to have stopped in a tilted orientation and, worse, in a shadow so that the battery will not charge. The existing battery charge will last for about a day but before it is "curtains" but before that happens they may try to the probe by operating one of the screws intended to hold it in place in the hope that some of the tilt will be corrected. Someone suggested trying to fire the "harpoons" again - why not if you're going out, then go out with a bang. Whatever they could make it worse but since loss of battery is terminal anyway who cares. On the bright side it is reported that all of the instruments are working so that at least some data has already been sent back to earth. We should know by this time tomorrow.

In the meantime, for a giggle have a look at this rather charming animation from ESA which describes the initial landing process. I wonder what's in the sandwiches!

http://www.esa.int/spaceinvideos/Videos/2014/11/Once_upon_a_time_preparing_for_comet_landing

Reply #210
Where did you get the info on the problem?

Reply #211

Where did you get the info on the problem?
A mixture of ex colleagues and the BBC (they have shown a number of interviews of people in the project team and associated scientists). So I should really add that what I wrote is certainly not complete but I think it gives the general picture.

Reply #215
Good news from Iran!

[video]http://youtu.be/7hlPWScJAcY[/video]

Reply #216
I'm not the only one (…not even here!) who reads things he can't understand… Sometimes, the lack is remediated; sometimes, not. Still, I'm a firm believer that Man's grasp should exceed his reach.
(By attempting to understand what is beyond one's expertise, one is led to a wider ambit of concepts and a closer reading of what experts say… Imagine if our proto-sires said, "Ouch! Fire — hurt!" and left it at that.)
In what I would call an unprecedented move, a major publisher of Major Scientific Journals has — made a step in the right direction:
All research papers from Nature will be made free to read in a proprietary screen-view format that can be annotated but not copied, printed or downloaded, the journal’s publisher Macmillan announced on 2 December.
The content-sharing policy, which also applies to 48 other journals in Macmillan’s Nature Publishing Group (NPG) division, including Nature Genetics, Nature Medicine and Nature Physics, marks an attempt to let scientists freely read and share articles while preserving NPG’s primary source of income — the subscription fees libraries and individuals pay to gain access to articles.

ReadCube, a software platform similar to Apple’s iTunes, will be used to host and display read-only versions of the articles' PDFs. If the initiative becomes popular, it may also boost the prospects of the ReadCube platform, in which Macmillan has a majority investment.
(source)
I'm not at all bothered by the lack of total capitulation to the IWTBF meme ("Information wants to be free"…). In fact, I'm encouraged: A major publisher recognizes that relevant papers are likely soon going to be required to be Open-Source. (Text, data, code; supplemental info…) This means that —despite the many inane and spurious attacks on legitimate science (made possible by the Web!)— the means to discern what's what will be available.
Even to the likes of me.

I'm grateful. (Although I'm probably too stupid to "get it" — or understand.)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #218
For those that might be in need of a pick-me-up, the good news is that the world has seen it's first penis transplant.

The recipient is said to be very excited.

Reply #219
Good news indeed.
Not so good news: Putin's arsehole transplant was a failure.
The arsehole rejected him.

Reply #222
I am reliably informed that some otherwise reputedly living specimens have all the expertise of a cadaver.

Reply #223
:lol:  Cadaver? I don't think I'd be too thrilled about that.

It pays to read the details, which I didn't do.

However, rejection can be a problem. I know a guy whose penis has been rejected by any number of women. And then there's this problem: Pick the wrong surgeon, and things can go very, very wrong.

Reply #224

:lol:  Cadaver? I don't think I'd be too thrilled about that.

It pays to read the details, which I didn't do.

Yeah, I wasn't that interested in reading the whole article.
However, rejection can be a problem. I know a guy whose penis has been rejected by any number of women. And then there's this problem: Pick the wrong surgeon, and things can go very, very wrong.

:lol: You can't trust just anybody.