Skip to main content
Topic: Today's Good News (Read 155881 times)

Re: Today's Good News

Reply #175
It was interesting to note Colonel that that election sucess although tight was helped by Democrat supporters??

A similar situation exists here in California… (see here) Hence Jerry Brown and whoever was the most RINO candidate (or would-be Dem usurper!) will be our choices for governor this go-round.
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #176
Noted the link - thanks.

I have a long friend from my youthful days who comes from Glasgow (as does her husband) she isn't very impressed with the political system over there but votes with a sigh.  She voted Democrat as there was little opportunity for much else. On a slightly wider note I think the Reps have a problem at the next Presidential and the Democrats will probably go for that mouth, Clinton. She can lie greatly as politicans do (anyone remember her visit to the former Yugoslavia when she made up a sory of being under gunfire at the airport)Kind of restricted I reckon - sadly.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #177
She didn't lie, Rj, she misspoke.  :lol:

Reply #178
First day of unemployment, as I just finished my contract job yesterday (had held it for 2 years) and I have already gotten an interview scheduled.

It is in November, but that is fine with me, as I have quite a bit to do b/w now and then.

Reply #179
Get a supply of grey uniforms and announce secession and I might go back over. Nah it is okay for pals overseas to have a Referendum but not in the land of the free.....

Reply #180

First day of unemployment, as I just finished my contract job yesterday (had held it for 2 years) and I have already gotten an interview scheduled.

It is in November, but that is fine with me, as I have quite a bit to do b/w now and then.

For you, Sir.

Reply #182
Good news, indeed. Let's hope that more that "might" is involved.

Reply #183
I have been on vacation since last Saturday, in Destin Florida. :cheers:

Reply #184
I have discovered what they put in pistachio nuts to make them addictive.
But I'm not telling.

Reply #185
Is it the discovery of the secret or the not telling thereof that is our good news?

Reply #186
I wonder who "they" are. :P

Reply #187
It is supposed to rain most of today, after a week of 96-100 temps last week with ten tons of humidity!  :hat:

Reply #188
Typical. Ex-colonists just assume everywhere is American. Wear a hat and avoid easy brain damage over there.

Reply #190

Typical. Ex-colonists just assume everywhere is American. Wear a hat and avoid easy brain damage over there.

Typical. Non-ex-colonists just assume everyone is American.

Reply #191
Another senseless answer that only emphasises what I say. But one cannot expect anything else from a super nationalist and blinkered country that no sensible person would want to be like. Trying to be satirically popular is yet another characteristic of your ploy. You are dong and showing my submission well. Keep it up sonny.

Reply #192
Joshua Tree got jailed. There are scams, and slimy scams, but they don't come slimier than this one.

Fake bomb detector husband jailed for three years

Fake bomb detectors 'destroyed lives'
Quote from: BBC
But his main market was Iraq, where lives depended on bomb detection and where the bogus devices were, and still are, used at virtually every checkpoint in the capital.

Between 2008 and 2009 alone, more than 1,000 Iraqis were killed in explosions in Baghdad. Thousands more were injured, including 21-year-old Haneen Alwan, who was two months pregnant and had gone out to buy ice cream when she was caught in a bomb in January 2009.

"My life was completely destroyed, everything gone in an instant," she said. "I lost the baby and my husband divorced me."

Haneen, who is receiving treatment in neighbouring Jordan, suffered horrific burns to her face, hands and chest and has already had 59 operations. She blames the bombers but she also blames Jim McCormick.

"When people passed through checkpoints using these devices, they thought they would be safe," she told the BBC. "But they are useless. The man who sold them has no conscience. He is morally bankrupt. How could he sell them just for money and destroy other people's lives?"

An answer to that question comes from a whistleblower who has spoken exclusively to the BBC's Newsnight programme. He went around the world with McCormick as he sold the devices, but then became suspicious and confronted him.

"I said to him, 'if this really doesn't work I can't be any part of it.' McCormick replied 'It does exactly what it's designed to. It makes money'," he said.

The court heard that McCormick began his business by buying a batch of novelty "golf ball detectors" from the USA for less than $20 each. In fact they were simply radio aerials, attached by a hinge to a handle. He put the labels of his company, ATSC, on them and sold them as bomb detectors for $5,000 each.

He then made a more advanced-looking version which he was to sell for up to $55,000. The ADE-651 came with cards which he claimed were "programmed" to detect everything from explosives to ivory and even $100 bills. Police say the only genuine part of the kit - and the most expensive - was the carrying case.

Reply #193
Leaving tomorrow morning at 3 AM tomorrow morning en route to my Texas vacation and job interview in a week!

Reply #195
And from the quiet Scotsman too.

Reply #196
Quiet!?!

Is there a new definition of quiet?

Reply #197

Another senseless answer that only emphasises what I say. But one cannot expect anything else from a super nationalist and blinkered country that no sensible person would want to be like. Trying to be satirically popular is yet another characteristic of your ploy. You are dong and showing my submission well. Keep it up sonny.

OK, since your response was to TT, I have to ask: What do you have against Australia? Further, how did Australia become part of the US without us knowing about it? Funny that you accuse others of not knowing world geography when you seem so short on that subject.

Hmmm... so now Australia is "super nationalist". Who ever would have suspected? Sneaky people, those Aussies. Gotta keep a close eye on them.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #199
Probe makes historic comet landing

The lander adjunct, Philae, of the Rosetta Spacecraft has landed on a comet and is starting to send data back to Earth.

It's a remarkable achievement, given the number of things that could have gone wrong with the mission due to its complexity. This is a programme that took around 30 years to come to completion, from inception to landing, the last 10 years being the time in space that Rosetta has taken to rendezvous with the comet. The lander Philae will stay attached to the comet as, in due course, it swings near to the Sun and hopefully will give unique data on the gasses that are emitted as the comet app[roaches the Sun. The Philae will not, however, survive that particular encounter!