Skip to main content

Poll

Shall the "slow" quote keep its "selected" ability?

What?
[ 0 ] (0%)
Yes.
[ 3 ] (75%)
No.
[ 1 ] (25%)
I don't care.
[ 0 ] (0%)
I'm out of town.
[ 0 ] (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Topic: Quoting tools (Read 10237 times)

Quoting tools

Well, I really hope the "experimental" quote has now been settled down. I myself use it for multiple quoting from all over the page (if needed) - before getting to the "Quick reply" area.
But you know what? For the LAST hit to the answer I use (have by right about now) the other one -- which was initially called "Quote (selected)". It worked either way - either without any selection -- getting that paticular entire post quoted --- or - when a piece is selected -- quoting that piece. And they both have been a pair of good partners in easy quoting for users.
Now what?

Re: Quoting tools

Reply #1
Guess what? As soon as the
"Quote" being returned its FULL POWER, I wish to suggest a "nickname" (displayed text) for it.
Which is... "Jump Quote":)
Do you like it?:)

Reply #2
If I needed just a single quote (I rarely have a need to quote an entire post), I [used to] hit the right 'quote' (which is (was?) exactly that "Quote (selected)") -- so that I could just right away appear in the editing ("reply") area -- with it - the required quotation - right at hand.
The left 'quote' DOES quote the piece you've selected. But you don't see it (which is ok when you're multiquoting intentionally), and if you JUST NEED A SINGLE PIECE IMMEDIATELY quoted - to proceed with replying...
Not entire post, not to "guess&scroll"...
Yeah, you may direct me to the "laziness" thread now -- you'll most probably be right:D
Still...;)

Reply #3
That's actually a bug. I posit it's a bug in Chromium/Blink and not my script, which is working fine in all other browsers. :P

I'll try to figure out what's going on some other time. I hate working around Blink bugs.

Reply #5
You could use a real browser like Opera/Presto instead. :P

Reply #6
Fark you! I use Chrome as my primary browser for now. Am I eligible for it??? It worked here before the "renaming"! What?

Reply #8
Hey, Frans!
O'k, I admit you can have been mistaken -- or you just lied to me: no change of browser shows any differences in NOT WORKING of the "selected" feature of the "slow" quote.

Reply #9
O'k, WHY did you strip the "Quote (selected)" quote of its "selectedness"!!!?
Was it HARD somehow to maintain that??? Or was it "customers' demand"???

Reply #10
O'k, I admit you can have been mistaken -- or you just lied to me: no change of browser shows any differences in NOT WORKING of the "selected" feature of the "slow" quote.

It's not supposed to. However, the Quick Quote is supposed to focus the textarea.

Reply #11
Don't comment, Brian. Just don't...

Must. Not. Comment... **Sits on hands**

Reply #12
I fixed the problem by adding a textarea.blur() before the textarea.focus(). Now Webkit/Blink behaves like all other engines.

Reply #15
All other WHICH engines???

Presto, Gecko, and Trident.

Bullshit.
@Chrome

There was never supposed to be a difference between the two. Quote (selected) was an inferior but more dependable alternative to Quick Quote. Any differences besides the fact that Quick Quote preserves formatting are probably bugs. However, you reminded me—and were rather insistent—that there no longer were any severe bugs remaining, therefore the experimental label and the inferior alternative could be dropped. There are still some obvious formatting-related bugs, but preserving the majority of the most frequently used bbcode properly is a lot better than not doing so at all.

If you're not seeing the fix to the Webkit/Blink specific issue, you probably forgot to refresh your browser.

http://xkcd.com/1172/

Reply #16
[place]Here was supposed to be a single quote.[/place]Huh???
The "experimental" HAD a bug. I did not report elementarily I didn't have enough to conclude.

Reply #17
THIS is the thread about quoting tools - and the quoting tools. Some 383940,4142... users can't seem to find their way on forum:faint:

Re: Partial Quote

Reply #18

ERSI, NO!!!....
Exactly the other way round!  FIRST you - reading the posts - highlight whatever you want and press "QQ", again you read, highlight, hit, till you're done with reading and itch to SPEAK.
THEN you unfold the "QR" area. (And "voila", etc.)
Yes, if you want to collect quotes in the blind, out of your own sight. But I prefer them visible at all times.

For that purpose, there existed the Jump Quote ("(selected)").

Reply #19
For that purpose, there existed the Jump Quote ("(selected)").

What I'd really want is a solution without Javascript. I often use a browser without Javascript. But such solutions are impossible, I suppose.

Reply #20
Without Javascript there is no way to track selection. But you still get the full quote, right?

Reply #22

Without Javascript there is no way to track selection. But you still get the full quote, right?
In Elinks full quote (the Quote button) works no problemo. I used Opera Presto, too, often with JS off. The forums worked just fine even so.

Reply #24

Ersi, so if the "Quote" (right one) were returned to its previous state, it would cause a trouble for you?
No. It always worked in Elinks. It probably had/has some extra function with JS turned on, but I only tried the basic function to quote the whole post and then tweak the contents of the quote. I contrive manually, that's right.