Skip to main content
Topic: What's going on on MyOpera & opera.com (Read 31741 times)

Re: What's going on on MyOpera & opera.com

Reply #25
Who has few blog posts or none?
I suggest that person, tomorrow morning shall create a "Goodbye, MyOpera!" -- and then we're having a PARTY!..
The last farewell, huh?..

Reply #26
Do you think the blog post will last long enough? It probably won't if we wait until my "morning" here in Chicagoland. I'm 6 hours behind GMT, and the way these folks are pulling the rug out from under us I wouldn't bet on the party lasting until early afternoon by my time.

Still-- I've made a last posting. See here, while it lasts:

http://my.opera.com/mjmsprt40/blog/2014/03/01/going-down
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #27
I just can't go back...I can't!  :'(

Reply #29
So the statement that "important threads" would be carried over meant currently active threads. Not such a bad decision actually. But change of place really means new attitude and new usership. Of course, it's a new product too. It would all have been easier if they acknowledged it from the beginning. They still haven't.

Reply #31
Well I tried one last time to get a response and some sort of acknowledgement from Opera that we exist (and Vivaldi for good, balanced, measure). Nothing, so far at least, but then the message has been trampled on somewhat.

Reply #33
It's time to embrace the scraps we're managed to hold on to rather than cling to a lost past.
From Thomas Wolfe's You Can't Go Home Again:
“Child, child, have patience and belief, for life is many days, and each present hour will pass away. Son, son, you have been mad and drunken, furious and wild, filled with hatred and despair, and all the dark confusions of the soul - but so have we. You found the earth too great for your one life, you found your brain and sinew smaller than the hunger and desire that fed on them - but it has been this way with all men. You have stumbled on in darkness, you have been pulled in opposite directions, you have faltered, you have missed the way, but, child, this is the chronicle of the earth.

Remember, though, that Opera will never die! Try this on for size.
http://operasonyoutube.blogspot.com/

Reply #34
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Reply #37
Still-- I've made a last posting. See here, while it lasts:

http://my.opera.com/mjmsprt40/blog/2014/03/01/going-down

It will last for a long time. All that is needed is to archive it (paste the URL in "Save page now", as well as other less ad hoc approaches, so there you go. You're welcome.

There is as mentioned a nachspiel, but there won't be a countdown as we don't know when exactly the plug will be pulled. It would be a silly party, "10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, bye!" Uh. Not yet. "10, 9, 8..."

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hJQ18S6aag[/video]

I wouldn't worry too much about the Vivaldi/DnD message getting through, it will through the overlap. It would however do so better with an official acknowledgement.

Rather, if there is something My Opera-ish you like to keep, use the archive URL above. There might just be hours left.

Reply #38

This shit is glitching in Opera -- redirecting to some shit on opera.com with no relevant content whatsoever. >:(

I begin to suspect it's not a glitch. A glitch might have been fixed by now, instead it's getting worse. My attempt just a few minutes ago to get to the right place-- the comments on the blog we were replying to-- was fruitless, instead redirecting as you've indicated.

I never saw an organization so intent on "flipping the bird" to its users as Opera seems to be. Even the notoriously bad outfits here like Comcast and AT&T have better relations with their users--- and that's saying something because both of those outfits have well deserved reputations for atrocious customer service.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #40
my.opera.com is now switched off

irc.opera.com still works

Reply #41
Rest in a number of different backups and archives. :in lieu of a RIP smiley:

Reply #42
We currently have the odd effect that imap.myopera.com (IMAP) is down while mail.opera.com (web interface) is still up.

Reply #45

We currently have the odd effect that imap.myopera.com (IMAP) is down while mail.opera.com (web interface) is still up.
String told me that Operamail will continue to function after Opera closes because it is run by Fastmail.
I clipped this from the Fastmail site.
Why has Opera sold you? Are you in trouble?

Not at all. Opera has undergone an internal change of strategic direction and an email service no longer fits within their long term vision. With Opera’s investment in development and infrastructure over the last 3 years, FastMail has continued to increase its rate of growth and profitability. We came to the mutual conclusion that FastMail’s future would be better served as a separate company.]

Reply #46
Things are confusing. operamail.com is run by Fastmail, but mail.opera.com is the My Opera mail that will close… I don't know, sometime soon I suppose. ;)

Reply #47
I shared a few albums, threads and blogs on my Fb page, and their "representation" on the timeline is still ok

Reply #48

Things are confusing. operamail.com is run by Fastmail, but mail.opera.com is the My Opera mail that will close… I don't know, sometime soon I suppose. ;)

Oil makes everyone a good manager...
A matter of attitude.

Reply #49
Does anybody know what "Quick Quote" is all about?