Skip to main content
Topic: We have a winner, and a nachspiel... (Read 10581 times)

Re: We have a winner, and a nachspiel...

Reply #25

Well, all good things must come to an end. But with the end of MyOpera, so my username is reborn....yay!

Whether I will get an awful lot of time to contribute is another matter. But it's nice to know that so many familiar faces have found a corner of the web to congregate.

I guess it's now safe for me to disclose the nature of my Opera banning. In case anyone cares. Which you probably don't. But still. The MyOpera blogs racked up high pageranks with Google which made them attractive to link spammers. I sold out. But in the 2 years before being caught by a Mod and given the boot, I raked in about US $20,000 whoring my blog and selling links to people selling 'Rolex' watches, vaginal rejuvenation surgery and other ethically dubious enterprises. So....it was kinda worth it. Especially considering how far $20k stretched in Mexico. :)

I'm still rather sad to see the old DandD go under though. Surely adding it onto their new forums wouldn't have been too much expense or hard work.

Good to see ya posting again old buddy; the whole gang is here (even Mr. Howie!).

Good to see y'all too. What about Bantay? GOM? Or did they, eventually, disappear?

Reply #26
Bantay is back......a bit more secular........a bit more pedantic........he's calling himself Josh nowadays.    

Reply #27

I wonder if this is what they meant when they once sent me an e-mail about monetizing small personal blogs.

Possibly. To be fair to the Opera mods, they gave me two warnings in the months before I got the boot. But the money was too good to turn down. I used to use a website called PayPerPost, which was basically a link exchange that got bloggers and advertisers together. In the first couple of years it was awesome. You could do 3 ads per day per blog, and they were paying up to a frankly ridiculous $140 per ad. Most were about $35. But considering you just had to write 100 words per ad, it was freakingly easy cash. It paid for my wedding, my honeymoon, a shiny mountain bike, redecorating my home, a computer, a camera and plenty more.

PayPerPost and its spin offs died a death though. I got out when you were lucky to get a single ad a week for $5. I still run ads on my (non Opera) blogs though. It still pays ok, but nothing like it used too. Anything from £35 to £60 per ad, but ads come along less frequently. I guess I took about £2,000 last year.

Reply #29

The MyOpera blogs racked up high pageranks with Google which made them attractive to link spammers. I sold out. But in the 2 years before being caught by a Mod and given the boot, I raked in about US $20,000 whoring my blog and selling links to people selling 'Rolex' watches, vaginal rejuvenation surgery and other ethically dubious enterprises. So....it was kinda worth it.

Heh, so all is good then. Old name back, clean slate, new site, new chances to sell out...

So, how is the project adding blogs to this web site going?

I shouldn't think that this sort of forum is going to be terribly spam worthy for a while!

Thanks for the welcome back to you all anyway. Good to see you Nick, String and Jim!

Reply #31

Well, all good things must come to an end. But with the end of MyOpera, so my username is reborn....yay!

Whether I will get an awful lot of time to contribute is another matter. But it's nice to know that so many familiar faces have found a corner of the web to congregate.

I guess it's now safe for me to disclose the nature of my Opera banning. In case anyone cares. Which you probably don't. But still. The MyOpera blogs racked up high pageranks with Google which made them attractive to link spammers. I sold out. But in the 2 years before being caught by a Mod and given the boot, I raked in about US $20,000 whoring my blog and selling links to people selling 'Rolex' watches, vaginal rejuvenation surgery and other ethically dubious enterprises. So....it was kinda worth it. Especially considering how far $20k stretched in Mexico. :)

I'm still rather sad to see the old DandD go under though. Surely adding it onto their new forums wouldn't have been too much expense or hard work.

Good to see ya posting again old buddy; the whole gang is here (even Mr. Howie!).

Good to see y'all too. What about Bantay? GOM? Or did they, eventually, disappear?

Gone for good, unless someone on here has maintained contact with them.   :cheers:
I'd reckon that Vivaldi will attract them before we do, if they ever come back looking to trololololol.