Skip to main content
Topic: Is this interesting enough? (Read 11675 times)

Is this interesting enough?

Is this interesting enough?
Probably not, but it's a test if nothing else.   ;)
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Re: Is this interesting enough?

Reply #1
Sure. :P

Reply #2
Do I win a prize for first post.  ;D
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #3
At least now I can post something in reply.
The first time, I had to request another image, and then, after posting and hitting refresh some times, I was presented a page that told me that someone submitted a message before me (thanks, Frenzie!)...
I hope now it works. :)

Reply #4
Still having to do a lot of page refreshing though.
No doubt once it's propagated it will work fine without the need for that.

Reply #5
I hope this problem is related to DNS propagation, but one thing's for sure: the server is reacting slower right now than I've ever seen since going with this provider (which we've been with for over a year now). That includes other domains, not just this one. The error log is showing nothing but browsers requesting favicon.ico.

Reply #6
Well, if it's a matter of propagation, we just wait until it's propagated enough... :)

What is DNS propagation? DNS propagation is the time delay between the time you make DNS changes on your authoritative DNS servers, usually at your hosting provider, and the time it takes for these changes to be seen by your end users and customers. The time it takes to propagate is going to be based on your current time to live (TTL) settings for the resource record your changing. These TTL values must expire from the recursive DNS servers around the Internet. Meaning the recursive DNS servers at ISP around the world. Once the TTL value reaches zero the recursive DNS server will then need to ask the authoritative DNS server for the new answer. The higher the TTL value the longer it takes changes to propagate because it will take longer for the cached value to expire. This tools will query several recursive DNS servers at random ISP's around the world to report on what IP address they are currently returning to their end users DNS queries for your domain. This will help you gauge if the changes you have made are being propagated in a timely manner.

Don't read it, I just like to learn these things...  :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #7
The reason I think it might be a propagation issue is because everyone has (or should have) multiple DNS servers set up in their router. So it's possible that one server received the new info and the other didn't. On the other hand, the router should really cache such things…

In any case, that's why I won't call this test a failure yet until Friday.

Reply #8
ׂ

Reply #9
I guess that might suggest a memory problem or something, except trying e.g. memory-intensive admin tasks does not fail. I'll disable hostname lookups (on by default) as suggested here, although as far as I can tell that should just result in slower loading times.

Reply #10
It's smoothing out. Actually running quicker than fluxBB did here, atm.   8)

Reply #11
ׂ

Reply #12
I disabled the hostname lookups like I said I would. I'll have to reenable them later to check whether it was that or just some server fluke.

Reply #13
Hey, good news, perfectly working for me.
Not anymore blank screens and very fast access.  :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #14
Nice place so far Frenzie. Good job.

I tip my hat ta ya.

Works a treat......took all of 3 minutes to set up an account.....no errors whatsoever, & no dramas either. Seems clean & simple....can't see anyone getting lost. I find the WYSIWYG toggle interesting, but editing there will take quite some getting used to -- copy/paste etc.....etc.....etc

All in all, I'll initially give the board a 6.0 out of 10.

JFYI .... Using FireFox v17.0.9 ESR Portable....pages render superbly (as usual).

Thanks

Reply #15
ׂ

Reply #16
I evaluated several options. I can bore you by listing them all if you're interested. :P FluxBB and SMF were the winners from a user's perspective, which for me includes that it should work in pretty much any browser ever made. Unlike junk like Disqus, most forum systems actually passed that test.

Anyway, as a user I preferred FluxBB, but from the admin side of things SMF was the winner.

Reply #18
I was going to say that I didn't have to refresh, but that wasn't quite true. It seems I'm only "logged in" for 60 minutes, then have to re-log after that. OK, that's not too hard and I can certainly live with that.

I note that the selection of tools gives us a wee bit more than the selection of "smileys" that MyOpera gives us, so expressing pleasure or displeasure could be interesting if you're halfway inventive.

[move]mjmsprt40[/move]
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #19
I think you should be able to check "log in forever" or something to that extent.

Reply #20
Nice.... Found my way through,  easily on my mobile.... Simple and straightforward... Nice one frenzie....even as a test...

Reply #21
Found my way through,  easily on my mobile.... Simple and straightforward... Nice one frenzie....even as a test...

It seems you got lost johnogaziechi...
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Eh??
Dear machine, in case you are speaking with me, let me tell you that topics are like Port wine, the older, the better.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #23

Nice.... Found my way through,  easily on my mobile.... Simple and straightforward... Nice one frenzie....even as a test...

Welcome aboard my friend!

Chelsea still sucks because they suck.  :devil:

Reply #24
Ah, that brilliant picture of one of my historical heroes laddie from the South. Robert e. Lee a true gentleman and great man who was admired by those who served with him. When soldiers get together to see you have a brand new uniform before signing a sad agreement tells you something!
"Quit you like men:be strong"