Skip to main content
Topic: Laziness is a virtue. (Read 13560 times)

Re: Laziness is a virtue.

Reply #25

I do have to disagree with you there string. Long walks are healthy (take note in Michigan please) and thus virtuous.
Admittedly they can be virtuous, but only if you take at least 3 short cuts.

Reply #26
I used to be virtuous but then I woke up.

Virtue is its own punishment.
Aneurin Bevan

Bullshit is unavoidable whenever circumstances require someone to talk without
knowing what he is talking about.
Harry Frankfurt

Reply #27

I do have to disagree with you there string. Long walks are healthy (take note in Michigan please) and thus virtuous.

Not everybody lives in Scotland. Once again, my front yard earlier, but it's much deeper now.
Come on over the pond and frolic in the white stuff!

Reply #28
Harry Frankfurt
/]
Let's give it a try?:whistle:

Reply #29

Harry Frankfurt

Let's give it a try?:whistle:

Pay attention...it happens here all the time!

Reply #30
Oh I have hiked in snow here jimbro leading youths in challenging situations but in this case quite happy for you over there to have heavier falls and be top of the pile this time.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #31
Quite frankly, I'm sick of the damned stuff and can't wait for it to be gone so I can hit the local golf courses.

Not this one, though, because it's in Scotland.

Reply #32
Jim's laziness is truly to be admired.  :right:

Reply #34
Well jimbro we are still waiting for the snow and it is rather greedy of you to hold on to it for so long.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #35
I like laziness. No patience for that "hard working" people, always bothering everybody. Always very active, sort of insects always buzzing.
If life were a forum I would ban them. Since it's not, God will do it in my place.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #36
No hardworking people here. Hardworking people don't have time for this kind of place.

Reply #37
No hardworking people here. Hardworking people don't have time for this kind of place.

Posting here demands hard work and many other skills and qualities. One should get payed.
Double, if you are good enough to post in a different language than yours.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #38

Double, if you are good enough to post in a different language than yours.

Maybe triple if your native language isn't germanic, and even more if it's not indo-european.
Still zero though :right:

Reply #41
¿Donde es me nada?

Yeah my Spanish stinks. but it helps to know a little.

Reply #42
¿Donde es me nada?

Where's my nothing?
Then you have that feeling that Mexicans looks to you with a stupefaction expression...
Have another Margarita enssb3 :)

But yes, Spanish it's nice and a very easy language to learn.
A brilliant Spanish intellectual and philosopher and a very close friend of Portugal, Miguel de Unamuno, once compared the sonority of Spanish and Portuguese as the Spanish reflecting the vibrant and intense colors of the brazing sun over the inlands of Castille - reds and yellows, while Portuguese sonority reflects the misty atmosphere of the Atlantic shore - everything much more pastel, soft and mysterious.

There you have something useful to say when having a fine diner with some of those intellectual kind of girls...  she will get impressed with your vast knowledge. :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #43
It's becoming so that it would be advantageous to learn a trade language from India. I encounter more people from India than Mexico nowadays.

[Broken] Spanish is handy for dealing with some subcontractors, but they often have a couple leads that speak perfect English (until there's a problem with something then suddenly there's a language barrier), lol.

I'll try to sneak your colorful depiction into conversation next chance. I've no doubt her clothes will fall off after hearing such.  

Reply #44
I still maintain that "Sì no fuera por patochada…" means "If it weren't for nonsense…" Spanglish is what I've been exposed to, since my second year of 1st year Spanish: (The teacher was a very pretty girl who left to get married and was replaced by a Marine veteran! In Massachusetts at that time I saw no reason to continue… :) ) I can count, give directions and commiserate. That's enough:
There seem to be no Spanish-speaking intellectuals hereabouts (I mean, in my locale — and that includes my ex-wife and our two children… :sigh: ).
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #45
If trees, bushes and grass are involved, Hispanics are in the picture.

If wine is involved (in Tennessee and fourteen other states where wine can't be sold in supermarkets), Indians or Pakistanis are involved in mom and pop stores.

If political graft is involved, it's usually caucasians that are involved. That happens in 50 states and even in Washington DC.:) Come to think of it, it happens with all races in every country in the world, even the one that's just a bit larger than New York's Central Park.

Reply #47
Spanglish

Lol, yeah a lot of what I learned was out of school by a friend from south Texas. So I'm all backwards n stuff.

Quick story on subject...

I was walking into a convenience store run by Indians a while back and a Mexican truck driver was trying to get directions form the little Indian fella but they weren't having much luck communicating. Turns out the man's GPS had broken and he needed to get back to Arizona. Between my broken Spanish and his broken English we worked it out... Or at least I sent him to Memphis down I40 which would get him there eventually. When the truck driver left I asked the cashier why he couldn't sell the man a map... I didn't understand his response, so that explained everything. hehe.

Reply #48
That changes next year, I believe, here.

You're right. It'll save me a bit of time, but it's no big deal. It will hurt our Indian/Paki friends.

Every time my wife tries a new wine, I take a sip and my face wrinkles. I'd have never made a decent wino.

Reply #49
Every time my wife tries a new wine, I take a sip and my face wrinkles.

Liquor store wine has too many preservatives. You can find a decent wine there but you either have to of tried all the >=$10 bottles and know the good ones or spend way more. Local wineries are where it's at. We've got a good one up here north of the 'Ville but they are everywhere so you shouldn't have any trouble finding one. You get to try them before you buy and everything.