Skip to main content
Topic: Minimalism (Read 10848 times)

Re: Minimalism

Reply #25
You mean we must have friends?

No. I meant owning people really. Deep emotional attachment made of dependence and subjection.

Maybe non Latin people have difficulty on understanding this, they seem to be very detached one to the others, even between parents and sons.
They probably are emotional minimalists. :)

A matter of attitude.

Reply #26

You mean we must have friends?

No. I meant owning people really. Deep emotional attachment made of dependence and subjection.

Maybe non Latin people have difficulty on understanding this, they seem to be very detached one to the others, even between parents and sons.
They probably are emotional minimalists. :)

Not only am I non-Latin, but also non-Germanic. In our neck of the woods, ownership hardly makes any sense.

Emotional attachment is understandable, but this is extensive rather than intensive. Emotions are applicable to anything that we encounter, not only to things of one's own choice and preference. Investing much emotion and desire in one or a few things gives rise to a sense of ownership on one hand, but also to sense of deprivation on the other. It makes sense to keep away from deprivation, therefore it makes sense to keep away from ownership too, particularly from ownership of people...

Not that this makes the people of our neck of the woods emotionally more competent than anyone else. Rather less. Foreign attitude and mindset is very contageous and disturbs the emotional balance in the society here quite badly. Very few remain minimalists under the pressure of desire for material success. Ownership doesn't make sense here, but when the concept acquires prestige out of proportions, the result is confusion, and people cease to follow that which makes sense.

Reply #27
Emotional attachment is understandable, but this is extensive rather than intensive.

I very much disagree. The fullness of emotions relies on it's deepness and level of intensity.
Investing much emotion and desire in one or a few things gives rise to a sense of ownership on one hand, but also to sense of deprivation on the other.

Maybe... but that's the cost of being human.
I suppose that being a sardine must be easier... :)

I believe that Art and Passion (amongst other things) results exactly from that cleavage. No?

It makes sense to keep away from deprivation, therefore it makes sense to keep away from ownership too, particularly from ownership of people...

I used the expression "owning people" exactly because it has that sense that is incommoding your conscience of near slavery.
People are not free, no matter how much they're fooled about the contrary.

Forget free will, that's a theological (and latter political) mambo jambo. But tell no one, that way things appears to be prettier... :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #28

Emotional attachment is understandable, but this is extensive rather than intensive.

I very much disagree. The fullness of emotions relies on it's deepness and level of intensity.

I merely stated how it is here, and I also acknowledged the adverse consequences of this. It's simply how it is for Uralic peoples. It's not a point to agree or disagree with, but a fact of ethnic temperament to live with. We have to live with you, and you with us :)

Reply #29

I merely stated how it is here, and I also acknowledged the adverse consequences of this. It's simply how it is for Uralic peoples. It's not a point to agree or disagree with, but a fact of ethnic temperament to live with. We have to live with you, and you with us :)

For much less, people have engaging into war... :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #30
Quote from: The Minimalists
At first glance, people might think the point of minimalism is just to get rid of material possessions. Eliminating. Jettisoning. Extracting. Detaching. Decluttering. Paring down. Letting go.

But that’s a mistake.

True, removing the excess is an important part of the recipe. But it’s just one ingredient. If we’re concerned solely with the stuff, though, then we’re missing the larger point.

Minimalists don’t focus on having less, less, less. Rather, we focus on making room for more: more time, more passion, more experiences, more growth and contribution and contentment. More freedom. It just so happens that clearing the clutter from life’s path helps us make that room.

Minimalism is the thing that gets us past the things so we can make room for life’s important things—which aren’t actually things at all.

The link can be followed here.
With caution, I don't subscribe other things I saw and, specially, didn't like the "atmosphere". (although aesthetics being good)

The above one quote is just right on the point.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #31
I've made my decision, I'll turn into a "new nomad". :)
I suppose that in two months I can get rid of everything and be on the road.
This is fucking thrilling. and I really mean it.

Sorry for my language to the thousands of children that uses to read DnD, but nomads are savages with no social respect. :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #32
Heh, good luck. :)

Reply #33
Thank you very much Frenzie.
I desire you the best of lucks and specially that you can live in Freedom.

Maybe our destinies will cross some day, who knows, this is a small world.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #34
Minimalists don’t focus on having less, less, less. Rather, we focus on making room for more: more time, more passion, more experiences, more growth and contribution and contentment. More freedom.

Sounds rather a bit like what Howard Hughes was doing before he went mad, except that he never did find contentment in life. 

James J

Reply #36
Sounds rather a bit like what Howard Hughes was doing before he went mad, except that he never did find contentment in life.

I'm already mad people tells me... :)
There's no certainty that one will ever met contentment in life, searching for it that's what it's all about. :)

You mean like this? http://gadling.com/2012/05/25/meet-the-man-who-spent-11-years-walking-around-the-world-and-the/

I suppose not.
Been thinking about this for a while, I think that there's a distinction between a nomadic lifestyle and an itinerant one.
What that guy did it's itinerancy.
Other example would be a street art performer, that goes from city to city presenting his work.
Nomadism it's more deeply connected with the weather seasons cycle and your activity depends on that.

I'm thinking about spending winter at some location , doing the kind of things that you can do in winter and when spring begins directing to where I want to stay for the summer.

I'll pretend to stay at small organic farms helping them with their daily work in exchange for lodgment and food as the basic "work".
Small paid works and a bit of entrepreneurship can provide all the money I need.
Honestly, one can't plan too much, just let life to happen and get the best of it.

I'll use my bicycle, so I can make about five hundred kilometers per week traveling at a reasonable slow pace.
Will you keep us up-to-date how it's going for you to get rid of things?

I have two different kind of problems, personal possessions and legal responsibilities.
To the first ones, sell and donate.
The second ones are more difficult because all the bureaucratic hallucination that it's needed. I'm working on that.
I'm inclined to pass a procuration (kind of a power of attorney) so someone else can sign in my place if I want so but I've not decided yet.

Regarding the tax department, they can sent me the bill addressed to... somewhere in Estonia?  :lol:
A matter of attitude.

Reply #37
Is someone who is playing tiddlywinks winking tiddles or tiddling winks?

Reply #38
Wittling tinks.

Aren't you just a tiddle off topic?

Reply #39
Now there's a brilliant answer from you of all people! Haha. Brilliant.  :lol: :faint:
"Quit you like men:be strong"