Skip to main content
Topic: Minimalism (Read 10849 times)

Minimalism

Are we too materialistic? The author of this article seems to think so: http://markmanson.net/minimalism

I am gravitating greatly toward more "minimalism" in two areas in particular: sitting and footwear. That guy mentions needing two pairs of shoes. I say shoes be damned. Also, besides the occasional book I seldom buy anything. However, not being wasteful is obviously not minimalism.

Re: Minimalism

Reply #2
Let's quote this awesome dude too: "This is everything I own: A MacBook Pro, an iPad, an unlocked iPhone, seven shirts, two pairs of jeans, two jackets, one coat, one sweater, two pairs of shoes, a suitcase, a backpack, some gym shorts, bathroom stuff, socks and underwear. That’s it. Everything I own can be easily packed into a small suitcase and moved within 30 minutes."

Here I thought: Amazing. Either you are poor homeless trash working casually on the run, in which case respect, or dirty rich leaving something out from the list.

"There is nothing that I want that I don’t already own. And this is despite owning a six-figure internet business."

Yup, the latter. It's easy to be minimalist when you can afford it. Attention switched off.

Reply #3
Yup, the latter. It's easy to be minimalist when you can afford it. Attention switched off.

It's true. This "minimalist" actually rents furnished apartments. However, he says he actually started it before he became rich. In any case, I just meant the link as an easy starting point. He says he found letting books go difficult, but he doesn't miss them. Me, I just don't believe that if for no other reason that I own (yet use) quite a few books that are not digitally available.

Reply #5
I don't believe I said that. :P Anyway, I wouldn't say I am either.

Reply #6
I believe there are a lot of materialistic people in the world. As for me, I typically stick to buying things I need rather than things I want. Don't get me wrong, there are things I would like to have and sure I splurge from time to time. Who doesn't?  I'm not one to keep up with the Jones' though. I know of a lot of people that have to make sure that their belongings are better than everyone else's.  I don't need a big fancy house, nails done, hair did or have top of the line items (however, somethings of quality come with a price). I'm pretty simple and I like it that way.

Reply #10
@Josh- Let's be realistic for a minute. Would you be caught dead driving one of them? I surely wouldn't.

For the record, when I said I live simple I meant simpler than most. My needs come first and my wants come second. If I never get what i want, so be it. I won't be tore up about it because I'll have what I need. ;-)

Reply #11
This is a BMW, in case people don't know. The door is at the front. :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #13
As for me, I typically stick to buying things I need rather than things I want

Maybe some of those things you can make them instead of buying it.
That's the real thing, be autonomous instead of having to buy.

The thread's tittle "Minimalist" is not good. One can live with quality out of a consumerist system.
People uses to think that out of consumerism one has to be some kind of fundamentalist hippie and that's not true. In fact true quality only exists with artisanship not mass production produced to be bought.
Those are the really valuable things.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #14
When I was an impecunious student I had no choice,
I had minimalism thrust upon me.

Reply #15
I do get aggravated with how much of a consumer I am at times. Like when I go in the store for something simple and spend way more on other stuff than on what I went in for. Purchased under the impression I need or could use it, but really not anything vital.

Reply #16
.... true quality only exists with artisanship not mass production produced to be bought.

I see your train of thought and I too like quality rather than shoddy products. I too admire good workmanship, but I think your statement is too absolute. But you are forgetting brilliant design which results in a product that is useful, aesthetically pleasing, and yet cheap to produce.

Reply #17
My personal version of Minimalism 

Reply #18
But you are forgetting brilliant design which results in a product that is useful, aesthetically pleasing, and yet cheap to produce.

Umh... there's not too many things fulfilling those three criteria and if Ikea is aesthetically pleasing, that I'm afraid I'll have to disagree.
Their packaging and mounting system however is brilliant.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #20
Well, I was not aware of their new table series...
A matter of attitude.

Reply #21

As for me, I typically stick to buying things I need rather than things I want

Maybe some of those things you can make them instead of buying it.
That's the real thing, be autonomous instead of having to buy.

Sounds good and all, however, time is of the essence. Sometimes it's faster to buy items than to find time to  make them. Perhaps I'm just spoiled tho.  :whistle:

Change is inevitable. When change occurs you have to take it by the horns or watch out. Depending on certain cultures, living a simple life can be very challenging. The way I grew up would make it more of a challenge, to live a way I have only read about.  It's difficult to live simple in such a fast paced world.

Reply #22
May be worth noting the pace of life is set by our abilities to keep up. Not having the skill set to produce everything you use also frees you up to keep pace and prioritize in other areas.

I don't understand minimalism in that you'd never regard excessive knowledge as damaging. But it can be if used improperly. So too with any material things. That you can survive on less is a given. Seems how you use more can be just as pleasing and beneficial.

Reply #23
Owning things enslaves us. Besides, it make us pay taxes.

The only thing we must own is people. It's strange but true.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #24

The only thing we must own is people. It's strange but true.

You mean we must have friends? Why? What are they good for? I am pretty happy to be minimalist about them.