Skip to main content
Topic: Canada (Read 14937 times)

Canada

I have been craving a good trip for the better part of two years now, and am leaning towards visiting our neighbors to the north, Canada.

I've met a few Canadians in my life, and they seem to be great people.

Just curious if anyone here has any advice on places to visit, places to stay, etc.

Thanks for any help y'all can provide.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwDvF0NtgdU[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8Sw6ScUmnk[/video]

Re: Canada

Reply #1
Whilst on a trip for a week in Belfast I heard an elderly couple chatting next to me and asked whereabouts in America they came from. The woman didn't say anything at that point but her husband frowned slightly and adamantly said he wasn't from there but was Canada. I quickly changed the subject and he relaxed. Don't suppose he was typical but didn't expect that!
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #2
if anyone here has any advice on places to visit

Place to go:

[glow=black,2,300]Banff NightLife[/glow] ............................ [glow=black,2,300]Banff Sunshine Village[/glow] ...........................[glow=black,2,300]Banff, Alberta[/glow]

Reply #3
Just curious if anyone here has any advice on places to visit, places to stay, etc.

Anywhere but French speaking areas. Toronto, of course. Montreal, NO! But if you choose to ignore and can't speak French, pretend you're a deaf mute.

One of my French speaking cousins, now deceased, who spoke perfect English and French, took a severe dislike of all things English (American) and refused to speak English any more. He refused to honor my requests for a discussion.

This is from a present day French Canadian about Americans. "Everyone hates them. The americans are IDIOTS! I am quite glad that many don’t own a passport so they can stay way from england and the rest of us. They think they own the world but have no knowledge of it; they are ignorant and have no concept of other cultures!"

Sounds like Rjhowie, eh.

Obviously, though, he doesn't represent the feelings of all French Canadians.

Reply #4

Anywhere but French speaking areas. Toronto, of course. Montreal, NO! But if you choose to ignore and can't speak French, pretend you're a deaf mute.

One of my French speaking cousins, now deceased, who spoke perfect English and French, took a severe dislike of all things English (American) and refused to speak English any more. He refused to honor my requests for a discussion.

This is from a present day French Canadian about Americans. "Everyone hates them. The americans are IDIOTS! I am quite glad that many don’t own a passport so they can stay way from england and the rest of us. They think they own the world but have no knowledge of it; they are ignorant and have no concept of other cultures!"

Sounds like Rjhowie, eh.

Obviously, though, he doesn't represent the feelings of all French Canadians.

I never met a French Canadian who wasn't a prick

Reply #5
I never met a French Canadian who wasn't a prick

Have you ever met a French Canadian?

I only ask because I've never met an Aussie who wasn't a prick, but I've never met an Aussie. But check out this vicious 'roo with a machine gun.

Reply #6
Do we have any Canadian?
If not, Canada is so important as Somalia.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #7
Thank you to SF and Jim.

Thanks for nothing to Belfrager.  :P

Reply #8
I should have mentioned that Canada is the only nation that I know of that has a national anthem in two languages.

Here's the French version. When I used to watch hockey broadcasts from Montreal, this is the version played before the game.
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8Sw6ScUmnk[/video]

Reply #10
Two specifically, and both in current use!

Reply #13
Well sure, I'm trying to figure out why a bunch of seemingly unrelated Middle Dutch texts from wildly different geographic origins are clustering, but I've hit a bit of a dead end for the moment.

Reply #14
I thought all of you should hear about this tragedy in the Olympics. Where to post it? Well, there's a lot of skating in Canada.

Emergency Crews Attempt To Rescue Olympic Figure Skater Who Fell Through Ice
SPORTS NEWS IN BRIEF • Sports • Olympics • ISSUE 50•07 • Feb 19, 2014

Details here...
http://www.theonion.com/articles/emergency-crews-attempt-to-rescue-olympic-figure-s,35313/?utm_source=The+Onion&utm_campaign=10095e88be-The_Onion_Weekly_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6a8b5ad20e-10095e88be-17228733

Reply #15
It is an utter nonsense to have the Canadian National Anthem in 2 languages. The French lost the battle for Canada a long time ago and should never have pandered to the Frenchies.

Reply #16

It is an utter nonsense to have the Canadian National Anthem in 2 languages. The French lost the battle for Canada a long time ago and should never have pandered to the Frenchies.

/Colonel Rebel diagnoses post

/Diagnosis is rustled jimmies to the point of maximum over-rustle

Solution? Click this link: http://rustledjimmies.com/

Reply #17
The simple answer is to have it in the main laguage and that is that. Maybe in your country considering that you along with the general indigenous will be a minority soon you sho.ld get ready for your anthem to be in some Me-hican or Latin American lingo. Won't be long southern laddie so get ready.

The French lost Canada so tough pandering to them gets you nothing just look at Quebec.

Reply #19

We'll leave that to the Canooks to settle. They have an anthem in two languages, Scotland has Alex Salmond and rjhowie. Deal with that.

Reply #20

We'll leave that to the Canooks to settle. They have an anthem in two languages, Scotland has Alex Salmond and rjhowie. Deal with that.

lol, Well played, well played indeed.

Reply #21
Desperation there jimbro from you as not able to give a definitive answer. And as for trying to distract nb saying that Salmond is in the same leagues as me is  pure piffle.  ::)

Reply #23
Well played after I reminded that there was no comparison? And how dare you entwine out flag jimbro with the flag of that mucked up place across the pond that cannot even run itself or a democracy.

Reply #24
...cannot even run itself or a democracy

Once again, I must respectfully correct the Scotsman for his repeated visitation into ignorance.

The United States of America is not a Democracy.

The United States of America is a  [glow=black,2,300]Constitutional Republic.[/glow]

Quote from:   Constitutional Republic  vs.  Democracy    http://tinyurl.com/a5rtp49  

A constitutional republic is a state where the head of state and other officials are elected as representatives of the people and must govern according to existing constitutional law that limits the government's power over citizens. In a constitutional republic, executive, legislative, and judicial powers are separated into distinct branches and the will of the majority of the population is checked by protections for individual rights so that no individual or group has absolute power. The fact that a constitution exists that limits the government's power, makes the state constitutional. That the head(s) of state and other officials are chosen by election, rather than inheriting their positions, and that their decisions are subject to judicial review makes a state republican.

Unlike a pure democracy, in a constitutional republic, citizens are not governed by the majority of the people but by the rule of law. Constitutional Republics are a deliberate attempt to hold in check the threat of mobocracy thereby protecting dissenting individuals from the tyranny of the majority by placing checks on the power of the majority of the population. The power of the majority of the people is checked by limiting that power to electing representatives who govern within limits of overarching constitutional law rather than the popular vote having legislative power itself. John Adams defined a constitutional republic as "a government of laws, and not of men."  Also, the power of government officials is checked by allowing no single individual to hold executive, legislative and judicial powers. Instead these powers are separated into distinct branches that serve as a check and balance on each other. A constitutional republic is designed so that "no person or group [can] rise to absolute power."

The original framers of the United States Constitution were notably cognizant of what they perceived as a danger of majority rule in oppressing freedom and liberty of the individual. For example, James Madison, in Federalist Paper No. 10, advocates a constitutional republic over a democracy to protect the individual from the majority. The framers carefully created the institutions within the Constitution and the United States Bill of Rights. They kept what they believed were the best elements of majority rule. But they were mitigated by a constitution with protections for individual liberty, a separation of powers.