Skip to main content
Topic: The Problem With Facebook (Read 17135 times)

Re: The Problem With Facebook

Reply #26
I've had a Facebook account for a decade or close to it. I suppose it used to be more like every other social networking-type site but then it started tailoring stuff. I try to use it as little as possible, but I haven't taken the drastic step of account deletion like my wife.

Since Facebook started tailoring content you see stuff sort of at random and if you go to another page it's gone. Facebook is the hellhole where you can't find anything. Perhaps on the plus side, you can't find anything. It's like a meaner version of Snapchat in that way.

Reply #27
Facebookers will be hanged.
What an wonderful "like".
A matter of attitude.

Reply #28
You still live in an alternate reality, Bel
I don't use Facebook; but the number of people I know who don't I can count on the fingers of one hand! And I am not a shop teacher… (I don't know that many people, nowadays — so that may not mean very much. I make one or two cellphone calls a month, and have never "texted" anyone… Still, I talk to people all the time; friends, family, acquaintances. I try to have a joke ready for one convenience-store clerk every time I "visit," because he enjoys comedy and I enjoy making people laugh.) I'll not likely "adopt" the more prominent "social media," and rail against them occasionally, as is my wont. But they are a facet of modern life that we need to address…
Or, like you, ignore — like an ostrich sticking its head in the sand. (Does that really happen? If you opine, where did you get your information/verification? :) )

As Tom Lehrer said a long time ago: "Remember the war against Franco… That's the kind where each of us belongs! He may have won all the battles: But we had all the best songs!"
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #29
You still live in an alternate reality, Bel...
[...]
Or, like you, ignore -- like an ostrich sticking its head in the sand. (Does that really happen? If you opine, where did you get your information/verification?  :)  )
What I like about you is that you always interpret reality upside down Oakdale. So, it's me the one living an alternate reality, not the hordes of brainless catatonic zombies that have migrated for the isolation of their virtual facebook platform and the sort. Brilliant.

I don't ignore, I resist.
All the virtual life is been implemented in order to isolate each and most of human beings. Isolated and disoriented people can't resist to the New Totalitarianism that makes all past forms of repression a paradise compared with it.
You do well keeping outside facebook.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #30
From my perspective, the value of FB is that it provides a quick link to family members who live at a distance, colleagues whom I've lost touch with and alien spirits.

Oh, and Donald Trump's page for quick updates on His Spookiness, the candidate.
https://www.facebook.com/DonaldTrump/

Reply #31
haha. And he is only 3 points behind a very experienced (if but crafty and a con) candidate! Tells you much about people over there.  :awww:
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #32
Facebook uncovers Russia-funded misinformation campaign
The company said $100,000 (£77,000) was spent on about 3,000 ads over a two-year period, ending in May 2017.

The ads did not back any political figures specifically, but instead posted on topics including immigration, race and equal rights.

[...]

The advertisements directed users towards around 470 accounts that spread false information or were otherwise in breach of Facebook’s terms and conditions, the site said.

“The ads and accounts appeared to focus on amplifying divisive social and political messages across the ideological spectrum,” the company said in a blog post published on Wednesday.

The company said it believed, but could not independently confirm, that the accounts were created by the so-called Internet Research Agency, a St Petersburg-based group known for posting pro-Kremlin messages on social media.

Reply #33
"The ads and accounts appeared to focus on amplifying divisive social and political messages across the ideological spectrum, […]"
Like Russia/USSR never did such things before… :)
进行 ...

Reply #34
"The ads and accounts appeared to focus on amplifying divisive social and political messages across the ideological spectrum, […]"
Like Russia/USSR never did such things before… :)
This is the guy you voted for. Tell me he is not spouting divisive messages. Is Putin paying him or is Trump doing it for free?
[video]https://youtu.be/fsTbeUn3EFE?t=28[/video]

Reply #35
This is the guy you voted for. Tell me he is not spouting divisive messages. Is Putin paying him or is Trump doing it for free?
Trump is a loose cannon, no doubt!
But Putin can do your country real harm. Trump can only give lip-service support for your country, thus angering Putin…
Best wishes and good luck with your choices.
进行 ...

Reply #36
Best wishes and good luck with your choices.
You mean I have a choice in what they will do? Tell me, what colour is the sky in your world?

Both guys suck totally and I don't care if they unfriend each other on FB or not.

Reply #37
Tut, tut, OakdaleFTL. The routine rubbish about Putin!

Reply #38
There's two things that really irritate me in this brave new world, facebook and tatoos.
A matter of attitude.

The happy man

Reply #39
Just two? You must be a very happy man! :)

Reply #40
There's two things that really irritate me in this brave new world, facebook and tatoos.
I get the facebook thing, but I find tattoos an odd thing to be irritated by.  ???
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #42
Tattos are the demonstration of an empty soul and an irrelevant body.
These days something proper of the lower classes.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #43
No time for tattoos at all. I think they are a long drag fall out from primitive days and a sign of daft tribalism. As is this daft thing about so many men jumping onto the beards  copying immaturity.

Reply #44
Tattos are the demonstration of an empty soul and an irrelevant body.
These days something proper of the lower classes.
It's a matter of culture (think Maori, for example).

The tattoo subculture in Europe has been expanding for quite a while and lack of tattoos is not as clear a mark of distinction for normal people as it used to be.

Where I live, tattoos used to unequivocally signify ex-convicts. They are still recognisable for the distinct pale colour and symbolism of their tattoos.

Reply #45
Sailors have traditionally sported tattoos and I think to some degree they still do. I'm not sure if convict tattoos are really a thing (here). I've always had the impression that those were more of an American/Russian (Eastern-European?) thing.

Reply #46
Still archaic and medieval at least.

Reply #47
Yet another ultra-exotic financial-commercial instrument being created in United States of America. Welcome another brain-child of Zuckerberg.
Originally filed in April 2016, the class action lawsuit seeks to block Zuckerberg's plan to reclassify Facebook's stock structure and create a new class of non-voting shares. The proposed issuing of non-voting, Class-C shares would concentrate Zuckerberg's majority voting rights even as he sells his holdings over time to fund his philanthropic efforts.

So far, the lawsuit's discovery process has surfaced controversial text messages between Zuckerberg and Facebook board member Marc Andreessen, who the plaintiffs have accused of surreptitiously coaching Zuckerberg through a negotiation process with a special committee to win board approval for the stock change.
By the way, the Facebook movie is both historically accurate and artistically passable social commentary.

Reply #48
Still archaic and medieval at least.
Strange Mr. Howie. I always figured you as someone who would sport a tattoo, such as a Union Jack tattoo emblazoned with "Death Before Dishonour" on your right arm, or something like that.

Reply #49
Now doesn't that title come from an American film of years ago? I equally know that soldiers wherever love to have the tattoo stuff on them but it does not alter my tut-tut stance on such medieval play. And anyway i have a neat Union Flag badge on the collar of two jackets (and another with William price of orange - of course!). Have a flag sitting on a nice pole in my living room next to the picture of HM The Queen above my fireplace. Now you have caused me to try and find my other two flags with one being the old Russian Imperial Flag and the other the saltire (Scots influence?) styled battle flag of the CSA........ :knight:

ps My late father two brothers all served in our army so don't you get jealous of a real military boy!  :happy: