Skip to main content
Topic: Should HLML5 videos work? (Read 3464 times)

Should HLML5 videos work?

I don't seem to be able to get any html5 videos to play in Otter.
Here is an example -
http://easyhtml5video.com/
The poster frame shows, but the video will not actually play.
I've searched about this, and the references I've found here seem to imply that it should work.
:)

Re: Should HLML5 videos work?

Reply #1
It works fine here under FreeBSD.

Reply #2
It's working here. Win7 x64 running Otter x86 beta9V2.

Reply #3
Strange, definitely not working here.
I should have said that I'm using Windows XP SP3.
Is it possible that Otter depends on external codecs that I don't have to play HTML5 video, although all my other browsers play that video OK?

Reply #4

Is it possible that Otter depends on external codecs that I don't have to play HTML5 video, although all my other browsers play that video OK?

Yes.

Reply #5
I suspected that might be the problem, although all the other browsers seem to work OK already.
Presumably they include the necessary codecs natively.
What would I need to add to get Otter to play the videos?
I already have the K-Lite Codec Pack installed, but that's the only extra codecs I've deliberately and intentionally added to the system.

Reply #6

Presumably they include the necessary codecs natively.

Not exactly. Firefox for instance uses Win7s native built in decoder to play HTML5.
Otter doesn't, probably because of fear from licensing issues.

What would I need to add to get Otter to play the videos?
I already have the K-Lite Codec Pack installed, but that's the only extra codecs I've deliberately and intentionally added to the system.

Since Otter isn't yet my default browser I had no need to look for a solution.
However, those in this forum who can watch HTML5 vids with Otter can for sure give you the right advice what to do.

Reply #7
Thanks krake!
Firefox 42 plays the video fine on XP too.
I'll wait and see if anyone else has any suggestions.
Otter is far from being my default browser too (still doggedly sticking with Opera 12.17!) so it's not an immediate big deal, I was just puzzled why it didn't work.
Cheers, Dave.

Reply #8
@DaveH, it might be hard to get it working on XP, it is no longer tier 1 platform for Qt...

@krake, the issue is more complex and doesn't apply in this case (Windows XP). ;-)
QtWebKit uses QtMultimedia to play media which seems to be able to make use of native decoding on Vista and newer systems.
QtWebEngine on the other hand so far is only able to use bundled codecs (so free formats will always work but patented ones won't, at least not without meddling with some DLL).
Both of them are able to use native codecs under Linux and BSD.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #9
I tried a bunch of different codec packs. None of them were able to be used for playing OGG videos, etc.