Skip to main content
Topic: TV Show Popularity in Your Neighborhood (Read 17640 times)

TV Show Popularity in Your Neighborhood

Oddly, my wife and I enjoy British TV dramas much more than those that originate here.

Our favorite at the moment is Downton Abbey because it has a wealth of interesting characters that range from the sympathetic to the downright beastly. With only one episode scheduled to air in the season, we want to know if Bates murdered Green.

Those of you who live in the UK can tell us because we run a season behind you. Please, if you share our interest, tell us!

Re: TV Show Popularity in Your Neighborhood

Reply #1
I don't watch Downton Abbey, but I do watch Top Gear.

Reply #2
I don't watch Downton Abbey, but I do watch Top Gear.

In this case, you qualify as a Downton fan.

BTW, my wife always refers to it as Downtown Abbey.

So there's no TV drama in your area?

Reply #3
I watch Keuringsdienst van Waarde. You can see here how Kellog's cornflakes contain metallic iron and here how we apparently ship over significant amounts of Estonian peat. Some potentially interesting fragments around 8:00, 15:20 and 19:00.

Another show I like(d) is De gouden eeuw, a documentary about the 17th century.

Reply #4

I watch Keuringsdienst van Waarde.
Another show I like(d) is, a documentary about the 17th century.

In other words, two documentaries, which are my favorites. As I indicated above, I do like some British programs but can't stomach the American ones. Even Downton Abbey is something of a chick drama but my wife would kill me if....you know. I could do without any of them for one good documentary on how the Sun is going to expand until it engulfs the Earth in 4 billion years, take a few hundred million. It's likely that I won't be around then.

Reply #5
House of Cards (netflix original series) is my current show of choice.
A damn good one too!

Also have been watching the House of Cards from the UK back in the early 90's.

Reply #6
In other words, two documentaries, which are my favorites.

Well, right now I also watch NCIS, Dirk Benedict Smokes Cigars, Castle, White Collar, and such.

I can't watch Antwerp-based equivalents because I don't wish to pay for cable and from the Netherlands it's geographically restricted by IP. Somehow Dutch cop shows are inferior to Belgian and American ones. Or perhaps I'm just a self-deprecating Dutchman. :)

Reply #7
Also have been watching the House of Cards from the UK back in the early 90's.

I'll have to give it a try, but the new version. I'm a Kevin Spacey fan. And, joy of joys, I found a site that streams is free of charge.

Reply #9
A few years ago I found myself teaching the Wilhelmus to about a dozen fellow Dutch people who apparently did not know the lyrics! x.X

But, I'm also only one of the two out of those dozen people who left the country for greener pastures elsewhere. ;)

Reply #10
So solemn.
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U2HsdbbDgI[/video]

Reply #11
Pretty much the only way I can tolerate TV these days is on netflix, without annoying breaks for annoying ads. And even then it's not much more than the more or less annual Mythbusters binge whenever a 'new' season becomes available ( and I notice, which may well take another half year )

Reply #12
ׂ

Reply #13
I almost forgot "Breaking Bad" which has been cancelled after five seasons. There will be a spin-off that focuses on the lawyer who represented one of the  characters, Jesse Pinkman.

Reply #14
Breaking Bad looked potentially interesting on Mythbusters, but I haven't seen it.

Reply #15
ׂ

Reply #16
Television is a weapon. Against you.
And Breaking Bad sucks.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #17
Belfrager, even this? :)

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pBT8n-SNWk[/video]

Reply #18
Stuff like that  it's used as bait so people get convinced television is a good thing.
At least it doesn't have David Attenborough  hidden behind the bushes while watching a couple of animals to mate...
A matter of attitude.

Reply #19
You say that as if anyone just turns on the damned thing and watches whatever comes on. Back when I still had one, I'd examine the TV guide and pick something to check out if it seemed interesting, and ignored the thing otherwise.

Reply #20
You say that as if anyone just turns on the damned thing and watches whatever comes on.

Oh but they do, that you can be sure about. Chew-gum for the eyes, that's how it works.
Back when I still had one, I'd examine the TV guide and pick something to check out if it seemed interesting, and ignored the thing otherwise.

Selective watching, as well as with a critical mind, should be the norm but it isn't. Most viewers don't even notice or understand the manipulation techniques that are used for mass propaganda.

Goebbels was an innocent child compared with what is being done with television.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #22

You say that as if anyone just turns on the damned thing and watches whatever comes on. Back when I still had one, I'd examine the TV guide and pick something to check out if it seemed interesting, and ignored the thing otherwise.

I'm selective and have a simple rule.

Record the show and watch it later so that I can fast forward through the commercials... :D

unless it's a sporting event that interests me, in which case I suffer through the commercials. Examples, PGA events (professional golf for those of you who aren't familiar with them) and NASCAR (stock* car racing...900 horse power behemoths). In 2002 my wife bought me a ride around a track in Florida @ 160 MPH.

* Calling them stock cars is bullsh*t. My stock car won't go 200 MPH.

Reply #23
TV Show Popularity in Your Neighborhood

Slow TV has been kind of the thing in Norway the last five years.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ibe17-JMCU[/video]

This clip condenses 134 hours of programming down to 37 minutes (in turn making it a rather peculiar concept as frenetically sped up slow tv).

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uXzkNYsQfM[/video]

Reply #24
Never will understand why, as I view the show as being as terrible as "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo", but Duck Dynasty still remains popular in this region.