Skip to main content
Topic: E-readers (Read 33067 times)

Re: E-readers

Reply #150
I still think 32 inch is probably too big regardless though.
I'm getting a feeling that instead of money for a more awesome monitor you lack space. You need money for a new house with a spacious studio.

Or maybe it is possible to rearrange some stuff somehow. For example, my smart-TV (49" 4K, 400 euros) is placed so that it blocks one window in the room. It is secured right in front of the window and I can reach behind the smart-TV to adjust curtains and open the window if I want. That's the best place for the TV. I don't need to see out of that window. The window is towards south-east where the sun rises which messes with work lighting throughout the day, so I don't want the sunlight. And I don't want the smart-TV on some wall where I have other things going on.

In that place in front of the window the smart-TV is usable both as a computer monitor and as a YT app, which are the two main functions for it. The second-best place for the TV would be in the ceiling.

Reply #151
I'm getting a feeling that instead of money for a more awesome monitor you lack space. You need money for a new house with a spacious studio.
Nah, I'm talking about the fact that it becomes this vision filling thing you can barely look past or anything. I find it mildly unpleasant.

But like I said, my opinion is also colored by the fact that 4k 32 inch is basically worthless to me. To me the point of 4k is sharpness and ease of reading, not to have more virtual space, though you do have some more as a result because some less important text and visual elements can be smaller.

In specific scenarios having more space at lower pixel density is worthwhile of course.

Reply #152
To me the point of 4k is sharpness and ease of reading, not to have more virtual space...
What is the nitty gritty that you need to have sharper than average? What's wrong with zooming it up? Anyway, eink may be worth it, when one needs to examine nitty gritty up close.

For me the point of a 4k monitor (which is my smart-TV at the same time) is the comfort of having the screen significantly further away than average. More distance between the eyes and the screen is a good thing.

As to weird aspect ratios, I think two monitors side by side whereof one is positioned upright should satisfy all conceivable needs. They do for me. And when one is mainly engaged in writing and reading, the upright one is best placed at dead centre.

Reply #153
What is the nitty gritty that you need to have sharper than average? What's wrong with zooming it up? Anyway, eink may be worth it, when one needs to examine nitty gritty up close.
A modern phone or an ereader should be fairly self-explanatory as to how much nicer the text is to read.

For me the point of a 4k monitor (which is my smart-TV at the same time) is the comfort of having the screen significantly further away than average. More distance between the eyes and the screen is a good thing.
Yup, you can either put it twice as far or use it as the equivalent of four ye olde low-res monitors. I haven't noticed ~ 80 cm being any worse than ~ 2 m though; if anything the latter seems worse to me because you (or I) somehow end up looking past it less.

As to weird aspect ratios, I think two monitors side by side whereof one is positioned upright should satisfy all conceivable needs. They do for me. And when one is mainly engaged in writing and reading, the upright one is best placed at dead centre.
It's okay, but upright 16:9 has the exact same problem compared to 16:10 — just that it's not quite wide enough rather than not quite tall enough.

And these aren't weird aspect ratios. Back in the late 2000s most new displays were 16:10, and Macbooks also have 16:10 displays. They're just less usual than they used to be. One question might be what's weirder: 21:9 or 3:2. Both exist, but 21:9 is more easily available as a computer display.

Reply #154
A modern phone or an ereader should be fairly self-explanatory as to how much nicer the text is to read.
A modern phone also introduces you to the benefits of zooming. And makes it felt soon enough that you should not look too close and not for too long.

Reply #155
Ctrl coupled with scrolling or with + and - has always been simpler. It's still sharper. ;)

Reply #157
Nothing, but tinkering with the innards is probably fun. ;)