Skip to main content
Topic: E-readers (Read 32919 times)

Re: E-readers

Reply #102
Isn't it more like a trackball? (The ball on top out in the open, not hidden under the device.)

Reply #103
Pointing device then. :P

Edit: besides, it says it right in the name "erekomu Trackball Mouse" :D

Reply #104
Check this out: Onyx Typewriter

[video]https://youtu.be/jF1b3qgw-K4[/video]

Reply #105
So to be clear, basically the same tablet they're already making with a detachable keyboard? Which is cool of course. :)

Reply #106
The video was published nearly a year ago (I forgot to check before I posted), so it must be a product concept that came to nothing.  And the thing particularly with Onyx Booxes is that they are Android devices so you can actually attach any keyboard to it - they already are Typewriters, but you have to add your own keyboard.

And to simply combine things that already exist and work should be common sense. Tablets are pretty cool. So are netbooks. In principle nothing should prevent anyone to simply slap an eink screen on them and begin selling. But, amazingly, nobody is doing it. Onyx comes closest.

Reply #107
This week I got myself a Kobo H2O Edition 1 by swapping my Pocketbook Touch HD with some guy on the internet. I'm not quite sure yet if I got lucky or screwed.

Pocketbook's software can do so much more. You can do actual research on it even without Koreader, but considerably more with Koreader. On Kobo, Koreader is the only thing that makes it usable. I added another usable thing: Vlasovsoft's app package. Still, missing things are too many to mention.

But hardware-wise Kobo is awesome. The form factor reminds me of my first darling ereader: Pocketbook Sense. I miss the page turn keys at the back, but I like H2O's bigger screen and sufficient RAM. Oh, but there appears to be no multitouch on Kobo, e.g. Koreader's zoom gestures don't seem to work.

Reply #108
Some dual screen gadget demonstrated by Intel.
Tiger Rapids opens like a traditional pen-and-paper notebook, stashing its digital pen within a pen loop to the right. ...the entire right-hand screen of Tiger Rapids is an electronic paper display (EPD) that consumes almost no power. It’s purpose-built for digital inking, complete with a slight give to it that mimics traditional paper.

Reply #109
Curious but could be interesting. :)

Reply #110
On FB, Pocketbook published a video announcing a black Inkpad 3. That is, no changes, except that the colour is black.

I'd rather get something resembling the shape of Inkpad 2: Wide bezels, comfortable to hold in any direction, wide page keys. When a gadget has no place where to rest the thumb without touching the screen, it has a flawed design.

Reply #114
I do have some doubts about the notes function. 400 is decades worth of regular paper notes.

Reply #115
For me the biggest obstacle with reMarkable is that files transfers must go through reMarkable's proprietary cloud. That's an eerily Kindle-y and Amazonian policy. I naturally prefer an open file system. And a microSD slot...

There used to be more obstacles, but these are left for now. About the notes function I simply think: If the scribbling turns out to be not to my liking, I will use the device just for reading.

Reply #116
Has Koreader's column mode evolved meanwhile? Any way to set three or more columns? And arbitrary column widths?

Reply #117
I don't think the person who wrote that has improved on it.

Reply #118
Quite unfortunate because other marginal and outright extraneous goodies in Koreader have made significant leaps, whereas column mode is relevant to actual reading.

Reply #119
Seems like a glaring omission in Koreader's Taps&Gestures Manager that sides cannot be configured while corners and swipes can.

Reply #120
Quite true, but legacy is hard. :)

Reply #121
I'm forced to skip the April update of Koreader. After updating to it on Kobo H2O I opened a PDF that was formatted in a way so as to require me to crop manually, and after cropping manually, to orientate into landscape.

Maybe because of this, but at any rate after this, Koreader April update did not know anymore what I had cropped. Moreover, it did not know anymore where the content edges were, where the page edges were. The different zoom settings did not have any of their ordinary effect.

Koreader was unable to page forward - the statusbar showed pages moving forward but the actual content did not. "Go to" did not help here, apparently Koreader had lost all count of pages too.

Maybe it is just me, but reverting to the previous release fixed everything.

This was on Kobo H2O. I always test Koreader updates on the Kobo before committing it to the larger and more important Pocketbook. Must stay secure.

Reply #123
Could be related to that. I'll go with "Or something" in the first post.

Reply #124
It's quite likely to be that issue, which means the 2020.04.1 release should work. :)