Skip to main content
Topic: Isn't sewing for ridiculous amounts damn ridiculous? (Read 16883 times)

Re: Isn't sewing for ridiculous amounts damn ridiculous?

Reply #50
And -for you- that's yet another reason to rant and rave against the U.S.!

You're correct in this. What I'm interested in why he does this. Of course there are problems in the US, for instance squalid slums in Detroit and inexcusable lack of leadership that allowed this to happen.  But those issues are not uniquely American and exist in the UK as well. If you recall, some years ago I pulled some up data about Glasgow and many of the negative statistics were remarkably similar to the American city and in some cases even worse*(although Glasgow does have far less homicide.) Given what we know about Howie, the conclusion that I draw is that he's resentful of America's position in the world, one formerly occupied by the British Empire. Sadly, ranting and raving about the US does nothing to improve his own country and will not bring his empire back.

Although we see a slight uptick in population since 2001, the overall downward trajectory of Glasgow's population does not indicate a healthy city. Why did all those people leave? Was for the same reasons Detroit's shedding residents? Yet we don't see Howie expressing concern over the state of his city, only troubled American ones.
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Reply #51
What I'm interested in [is] why he does this.
Me too. But over the years I've come to believe that neither his education nor his experience offers much by way of explanation. It's a matter of personality
Being quite an asshole myself, I think I know what I'm talking about! :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #52
Brilliant. A very good example of the routine ignorance of ex-colonists. They pomp and show off as the greatest place ion earth but when the hard truth is faced they try to dodge it as such would make a mockery of the place. Glasgow did have a bigger population but it declined on a very good reason due to being overcrowded within the boundaries. What was totally ignored was that several new towns were built to deliberately reduce the population and were successful. All government doe and would not happen in the States. Instead you get towns going bankrupt and look at the Detroit disgrace or the city with poisoned water! Disgraceful. So the new towns did a great job of helping the population.

A typical attempt by those that like to be imperially boastful and always, always do a dance.

ps Oakdale do you note how threads change.......?
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #53
ps Oakdale do you note how threads change.......?
Yes: As a conversation would.
What you did in the "Replacing Scalia" thread was more like what children do when adults are talking… :)
进行 ...

Reply #54
Utter idiocy unfortunately dear hermit man as drifting was very much part of the way in Opera and that HAS continued in this set-up as fine you know it. Mind you it does help ex-colonists doing that..... :hat:

Reply #55
ion earth

Ion Earth? Interesting. I'll write a little dystopian story about "Ion Earth" ruled by weird orange overlord that worships a horse-riding genderqueer demigod. The ion version of Earth will be nightmare and it will be up to heroes from across a big lake flying a red, white and blue banner to free Ion Earth from the oppression. I'll want to read up on ions to see how their properties fit into the story :)
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”

Ion

Reply #56
Ion Scotland somewhere? No ion sewing machines?

Reply #57
Nice tries by the resident smart alec mentality!

Reply #58
I had to look it up. It's "smart aleck".

Reply #59
I wonder why the appellation "dumb alec" never caught on? (I guess, because "dumb sh*t" was already becoming popular! :) )
But using just one source for idioms and their spelling can be misleading…
A smart aleck, also spelled smart alec, is someone whose sarcastic, wisecracking, or humorous manner is delivered in an offensive, obnoxious, or cocky way. Other closely related terms include know-it-all, smarty pants, wisenheimer, and wise guy.
(Wiki)
:)
进行 ...

Reply #60
I was quite right with the pronunciation Barulheira so the description suits you too dopey  - smart alec.

Reply #63
Lord Google produced this gem.
"I am curious whether there are any dialects left in England (probably North and North and East Midlands) where "shut" is still pronounced [ʃIt] rather than [ʃʌt] or [ʃʊt], i.e. where "shut the door" sounds like "shit the door".

Wondering...will DnD shit down any time soon?

Reply #64
Don't count on it.

Reply #65

Reply #66
I prefer the Scots word 'keech' and as a secondary issue is less of a foreign dominance of our language.......

Reply #67
Let me throw this in: Howie.if you can't get your dresses at a reasonable price, perhaps you should emigrate… :)
进行 ...

Reply #68
Very subtle and I have of course worked out that such is an admission of yourself but not my scene as I am a real man who gets out and about.

Reply #69
A woman is suing Starbucks for five million dollars. What did the coffee chain do? Put too much ice in her iced coffee. All you have to is ask them for light ice and they still put too much in, make the prepare you another one :faint:

Reply #70
[…] as a secondary issue is less of a foreign dominance of our language…
You have a language? :) Why don't you use it?
[…] but not my scene as I am a real man who gets out and about.
No, RJ. You're still a little boy who thinks traipsing through the woods is the epitome of "manhood".
Never been a soldier; never for soldiers, either. Am I correct in assuming that you're a pacifist? If so, you've never really been any use to anybody… (Except as the government paid you to be.) But that's what you prefer: Ineffectuality!
Luckily, you've practiced for so long that you've got it down! Good for you.

But how is it good for anyone else…?

Oh, I forgot: Why would you care about anyone else…
进行 ...

Reply #71
I have a far deeper and public experience than you monk hermit. Been written about, interviewed on radio and met many famous people and all something you haven't done and in hardness beyond you. However I will refrain from misusing your envy and frustration. And maybe it is good for you that you are on these forums as outside with people you would probably clamm up, freeze and rush to get home so this makes you get a wee bit of confidence without being in a presence. Clever but obvious.....!

Reply #72
Your fantasy world obviously amuses you! Else you'd return to reality more often…

You're much like Donald Trump, shouting "Lyin' Ted" until most people -himself included- believes it! :) That pea rattling 'round in your head must make quite a racket…
进行 ...

Reply #73
Nice try. Trump makes your country look like a laughing stock and you know what? He would never get elected to anything here due to being a sensible democracy. :ko:

Reply #74
Nah! He's probably going to be your next Queen… :) (He like's to sue people, too. If I understand it correctly, saying something that's true can still be considered libel in your realm. Interesting! :) )
进行 ...