Skip to main content
Topic: Browser With Floated UI  (Read 2220 times)

Browser With Floated UI

is there any browser in this world with Floated UI , and has capability to fully hide the UI  with only menu icon and scroll bar left ?

as in ilustration .

1. Docked

2. Undocked

Re: Browser With Floated UI

Reply #2
Isn't that basically fullscreen?

Reply #3
i need the windows task bar, so no fullscreen

Reply #4

Isn't that basically fullscreen?

If I am understanding correctly, the idea is floating buttons. Some Android Lollipop apps have this.

Now, forget the fact that in Android focus is the same thing as maximised and think the good-old desktop way: Apps spawn windows with ordinary decorations, but instead of toolbars and menus you operate the app by means of a few floating buttons in this or that corner of the window. Imagine the power of keybinds + one or two strategic floating buttons.

I haven't seen anything like this on desktop yet.

Reply #5
If I am understanding correctly, the idea is floating buttons.

that's exactly what in my mind .
imagine how it will so usefull to  save space in small device (android , iphone ,etc )

well, if only i know how to programming , perhaps i can be a browser piooner .
but that was literally my pipe dream .

since no matter how hard i tried, i just cant understand how to program  .

i think for now i just can wish someone   pass this to the otter's devs .

and hoping they put "Floating button feature " in the development priority lists .

Reply #6

If I am understanding correctly, the idea is floating buttons.

that's exactly what in my mind .
imagine how it will so usefull to  save space in small device (android , iphone ,etc )

well, if only i know how to programming , perhaps i can be a browser piooner .
but that was literally my pipe dream .

since no matter how hard i tried, i just cant understand how to program  .

i think for now i just can wish someone   pass this to the otter's devs .

and hoping they put "Floating button feature " in the development priority lists .

Floating buttons like this make sense on a touchscreen, but hardly when you use the mouse and keyboard. That's why they are implemented only as part of the latest Android interface guidelines, not anywhere in desktop apps.

But it's an interesting idea to provide a second interface to a program, an interface consisting of floating buttons. Kind of like VLC does, several toolbar setups to choose from plus keybind to drop all toolbars. There could be an option to toggle between toolbars and floating buttons.

Reply #7
This is what a floating button looks like. I remember they were not there when I used Android 2.

I skipped other Androids meanwhile, so I don't know when they appeared. On Android 5 many apps have them. Some have options to switch them off.

My default Sony Xperia media apps make more extensive use of the float capability than just a button. For example, when playing a video, I can switch away from it to the list of media files, but the video would keep playing as a little floating rectangle in the corner. Tapping the rectangle would maximise (fullscreen) it again, wiping it behind the edge would close it.

Not sure yet about the usability of these things in an app other than handheld touchscreen fully maximised...