Skip to main content
Topic: Opera 12 - help needed (Torrent) (Read 1813 times)

Opera 12 - help needed (Torrent)

Well.... it's a long time ago since I actually downloaded some torrents with Opera (Opera Installs using the torrent)... now I am running Opera 12.17 x64 as a portable Install and all I get from a .torrent link is a saved .torrent file and the internal download manager ain't downloading the corresponding file :/ Torrent is enabled in opera:config, the preferences seem to be the same as with my old install and the only difference is, that previously (up to my XPx64 System) I only "upgraded" Opera over it's old directory and it was, so to say, a single user or one for all install - the profile where in Operas Folder, but it made use of the registry - with my switch to Win7 I installed it anew as a clean portable install and just imported (well, copied) my old profile directory to it. Be it opera:config or preferences/downloads seem to be ok to me (nothing changed, torrent enabled, open dialog as option -> but even with changing the options available I still just get a .torrent file saved)...
Anyone any ideas what I may do? Or is the torrent client disabled/cribbled within the 12.17 version?

Re: Opera 12 - help needed (Torrent)

Reply #1
Opera's torrent client has always been kind of helpless. The first time ever I tried torrenting at all was with Opera and it didn't work for me. At the time I assumed it was because my ISP was blocking the relevant ports, but now I know how to torrent with other torrent clients and it's just Opera that doesn't work.

Tried just now again, Opera 11.62 and a torrent file. Still helpless. I don't know what else to suggest than to try different port numbers, but in my case it's not working anyway.

Reply #2
Opera's torrent client was somehow never able to finish for me in the early years. It'd download up to 95% or so and then just get stuck. Somewhat more recently (in the current decade) I did manage to download a full file with it. I was already using µTorrent before they introduced it anyway, although I've long since switched to the now superior (and Linux-supported) qBittorrent.

So yeah, I don't think the torrent client should be any more crippled in 12.17 than in any other version of Opera, but I'd recommend something else instead — especially since Opera/Presto hasn't been updated for over two years now. Since you're on Windows, a supposedly promising new client is Halite, but generally I'd recommend Transmission* for something simple that just works and qBittorrent for something with a little more options.

* There's an unofficial Windows build of it at http://sourceforge.net/projects/trqtw/

Reply #3
Well - ok, I really had hoped that it would be just some config I missed   :coffee:, but well so I stick to my "Jockstuff" VM (Kubu LTS) for those few times I need it (like for the new Benchmark Sims Falcon Mod)