Skip to main content
Topic: Individual search boxes (Read 1555 times)

Individual search boxes

First of all, let me say how impressed I am by the progress you made. I've been following the development of Otter from the very beginning and just installed the latest beta.

One of the main reasons why I miss the old Opera and look forward to Otter was the ability to customize almost all the toolbars and add individual search boxes to them. I work as a translator and usually have to look up words and terms in lots of different dictionaries or encyclopedias, so my ideal toolbar looks something like the screenshot below. (This is currently a workaround in Pale Moon, but I started that habit in Opera 11 or 12.)

Currently, I can add several search boxes to an Otter toolbar, but when I switch one of these to e.g. Wikipedia, they all show Wikipedia. Is it possible yet to have one search box link to e.g. Google, one to Wikipedia, one to dict.cc and so on? Maybe I'm missing something. Maybe I just have to be patient :)

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Re: Individual search boxes

Reply #1
Something just happened -- it works :) My impression is it didn't work until I started changing the order of the individual search engines in the list. First, they all switched as soon as I changed one of them. Now they don't.

All right then. Let me just say again how great this project is. Will continue to play around with the new browser now!

EDIT: And now they all behave as if they were linked again (see below) ... so it's more like a "sometimes" right now.

Reply #2
@rainlights, search engine is set per tab and multiple instances will be synced.
The good news is that support for adding search fields set to single search engine is planned.
I guess that I could give it a try today.

UPDATE
And now they are available. ;-)
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #3
Yay! :hat: Thank you, that was really quick!