Skip to main content
Topic: What's Going on in Europe (Read 254421 times)

Re: What's Going on in Europe

Reply #276
More European news. Another of the PIIGS in trouble again.

BRUSSELS — Europe’s long standoff over Greece’s debt moved into an unpredictable stage on Sunday, with tensions reaching their highest levels yet and the risk growing rapidly that Greece could crash out of the European currency.

On Saturday, eurozone finance ministers meeting in Brussels rejected Greece’s request to extend its existing bailout program past a Tuesday deadline. Greece wanted the extension so it could hold a national referendum on July 5 to let voters decide whether the country should accept bailout aid under terms that the government of Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras bitterly opposes.

Then, early Sunday morning, lawmakers in Athens voted to go forward with the referendum, after a day on which many Greeks lined up at cash machines to withdraw money from banks out of concern that a fresh financial crisis could be at hand.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/28/world/europe/for-eurozone-a-day-of-dueling-agendas-on-greek-debt.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Reply #277
The whole thing is becoming an unfortunate farce. Greece lived beyond itself and now wants to play games with the lenders> One of those funds is provided by European taxes and Greece caused the mess itself. The whole EU thing is a waste of time as far as I am concerned. I never got to vote on the way the damn system became as it now is. Years ago we voted on a Common Market not for a European Government and another expensive raft of politicians. At least we are now getting a Referendumon thething. It should never have been allwed to move from a trade thing to a political arena and the crisis over it's currency, etc is dragging on for years. I want out.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #278
Greece debt it's totally irrelevant.
The Greek government is the only government in Europe (and probably the entire world) doing what is it's raison d'etre, represent the  People's will expressed trough democratic elections.
That's what makes so furious Germans and the others.

Europe without Greece would be an aberration. As we can see everyday the Teutonic "democratic" mask is falling, they don't even wear it anymore.
I'm proudly with Greece and its brave people in the defense of European civilizational values.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #279

The whole thing is becoming an unfortunate farce. Greece lived beyond itself and now wants to play games with the lenders> One of those funds is provided by European taxes and Greece caused the mess itself. The whole EU thing is a waste of time as far as I am concerned. I never got to vote on the way the damn system became as it now is. Years ago we voted on a Common Market not for a European Government and another expensive raft of politicians. At least we are now getting a Referendumon thething. It should never have been allwed to move from a trade thing to a political arena and the crisis over it's currency, etc is dragging on for years. I want out.

History in the making here; rjhowie finally types out correctly, "EU", rather than EEC.

:faint: :faint: :faint:

Well done Howie!  :cheers:

Reply #280
Well dear man it was the EEC years ago and we did not get the chance to vote on the EU bunk. Now thankfully, I will get the chance and I hope the majority are for getting out. We only voted decades ago for a trade thing not this monster economical disaster. And do remember this. Annually tyhe books are never cleared by the auditors due to dodgy stuff. If someone ran a company like that they would be shut down or jailed for incompetence and corruption. It is a waste of money and all we are doing like the other big States is keeping the wee countries alive as they were mostly incapable of doing so themselves.

Reply #282
I'm moving to Malta.

Reply #283
I protest against such statistic that make us look as sissy pacifists. And before 1500??
A matter of attitude.

Reply #284
Well, in Greece this is going on.

Reply #285
I'm moving to Malta.

Do you have an idea what Malta is? 99,9% of Catholics, one of our strongest bastions. :)
La Valletta, it's capital, it's very beautiful.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #287
Subtle hypocrite.

Reply #289
Because they are R.C? Haha, brilliant!

Reply #290
Hate the sin, love the sinner, RJ! (Or be something other than a Christian…) Oh! That's right: You're an Orangeman… Never mind. March on!
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #292
Well Oakdale our organisation had a big Orangefest in Glasgow's main George Square outside the City Chambers. We even invited the archbishop of the white socks man  fans along as a guest as well as the Irish government representative in Scotland. As we have been on the go since 1795 we are marching well.

Reply #293
I read that in Belgium they are studying a law to retire civil rights, as voting, to people that have committed fiscal frauds (obviously accused and judged by the very same that wants to make such a law).

The New Totalitarianism spreads all over the place under the passivity of bovine populations. When it goes on in Europe it goes on all over the world.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #294
That's the case of many countries including the US. Typical feelgood policies to make the lawmakers, or their constituency, feel good about themselves,  not to actually do good. In this case it is mostly harmless unless done to such an extent it would actually make a difference, and there are much more efficient ways to bend the voting system to your ends.

Reply #295
Typical feelgood policies to make the lawmakers, or their constituency, feel good about themselves,  not to actually do good. In this case it is mostly harmless unless done to such an extent it would actually make a difference, and there are much more efficient ways to bend the voting system to your ends.

Sorry but you're being short sighted jax. It's not the efficaciousness of the result that matters but the precedent on opening a practice of retiring rights to people.

It opens two new ways: a) retiring rights to more and more people and b) retiring more things than just voting.
At the same time it institutionalizes fiscal matters as supreme values over human basic values. That's inadmissible.

(Electoral results are already a fraud, since political parties don't represent the nation. They don't need to bother with it.)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #296
The New Totalitarianism spreads all over the place under the passivity of bovine populations. When it goes on in Europe it goes on all over the world.

All parties, both "left" and "right", are disturbingly authoritarian these days. :(

Reply #297
When it goes on in Europe it goes on all over the world.

Not necessarily… The U.S. may yet escape aping Europe. (Just don't get into another war!) Let's see what happens, after the next election.
All parties, both "left" and "right", are disturbingly authoritarian these days.  :(

Isn't that what "liberals" wanted? :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)