Skip to main content
Topic: What's Going on in Europe (Read 254488 times)

Re: What's Going on in Europe

Reply #325

Nice try southern boy. I am not an ex-colonist an old imperialist who may or may not have learned to not be interfering with the internal affairs of others!

Fixed that for you old chap!

Reply #326
Not surprised the government of the ex-colonies is concerned about it's education system and it was a distraction Colonel reminding us.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #327
Not surprised the government of the ex-colonies is concerned about it's education system and it was a distraction Colonel reminding us.

Among my duties as teacher of English grammar, correct sentence structure fell into my bailiwick. Had you been my student, that sentence might not have been written, my ex-imperialist friend.

Reply #328
Dare say it would not have but unfortunately the massive and widespread problem out with your bailiwick is a massive challenge.F

rom an unashamed imperial lover to one to a friend who still has to live with it locally (well maybe put up with it would be better).  :doh:

Reply #329
Unfortunately, Google doesn't have a Howie to English translator. What does that post mean? :confused:
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Reply #330
I will make allowances for any person who isick and minimally brained and falls on such rhetoric due to that background. He just repeats what he acted like in earlier times.  Basis for a run-of-the-mill ex-colonist I submit.

Reply #331
There should be a comma between "ex-colonist" and "I." This is an English language forum, Howie. Of course, Nevada was never a colony of the British Empire. That being the case, in what way am I an 'ex-colonist?'
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Reply #332
The same way he's an Englishman. Lol.

Reply #334
Something to chew on: It's been quite a while since any part of the United States was a colony of any European power. Nevada, when it was a colony, was part of the Mexican/Californian segment of Spanish holdings. The Southern states West of Georgia were likely either French or Spanish. The only part of the US that RJ could rightfully claim as "ex-colonies" is the 13 colonies on the Eastern Seaboard and that part of the Upper Midwest that England and France kept sparring over.

North of the US-Canadian border--- I hear tell that Canada still swears allegiance to the Crown. Though the province of Quebec occasionally wants to argue the point so they can be French.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #335
Actually Tennessee, and most of the mid-southern lands between the Mississippi River and Appalachians, was never directly a European colony. Explored by the Spanish and French but Dutch trappers were probably the closest to settlers there ever was in that era. Tho many tried to lay claim the land remained in Native American hands until, I'm pretty sure, an already independent North Carolina struck a deal for what amounts to the Cumberland Plateau region. (Parts of KY and TN) As other States laid claim to lands southwest of the Appalachian Mountain chain you see the formation of the modern borders but these were more frontiers to would-be nation states at the time. 

Selected provenience is hardly anything more than ignorance in his case. I'd accept another explanation... Just not from the man who believes the most evil empire that has ever existed is missed by this world. Only hardcore Nazi could quake in envy of such a destructive force.   

Reply #336
Something to chew on: It's been quite a while since any part of the United States was a colony of any European power.

To chew on? Most of Europe was a colony of Germany far more recently. :P

Reply #337

Something to chew on: It's been quite a while since any part of the United States was a colony of any European power.

To chew on? Most of Europe was a colony of Germany far more recently. :P

Germany was trying to grab more, too. The whole reason for the Eastern Front was to attempt to grab as much of Russia as they could. Figured if they could knock off Russia, the UK would have to sue for peace.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #339
Most of Europe was a colony of Germany far more recently.

You're not speaking about us. Us as in me, not you.  :P
A matter of attitude.

Reply #340
Well for a long time back the system that ran Portugal in part of the 20th century being one-party kept the Germany of the period content not to bother. But in the EEC unfortunately it was Germany doing it's 4th political Reich that was in charge especially of the smaller nations on financial matters. I know there are money difficulties on the country but if people were to stop being proud of their land no matter the size it would be the slipping slope to being nothing.

My only real moan about Portugal is long historical and the way the last King was dealt with.... :(

Reply #341
First the good news.
After several years of construction work, Lepe (Spain) finally got a new hospital for €21 million. Lepe is a town in Andalusia near by the border to Portugal.

Now the bad news.
Unfortunately the hospital can't start running because it lacks water and electric supply as well as an access road.

What puzzles me most - if you start a construction, first thing you need is an access road except you drop the building material from the air...

Reply #342
Unfortunately the hospital can't start running because it lacks water and electric supply as well as an access road.

It's perfectly normal an infraestrutcture to be ready awaiting for months if not years until opened to the public. Mysteries of election's calendars.

I just read that in China they do the opposite, demolishes Hospitals with the patients and doctors inside...
A matter of attitude.

Reply #343
It's perfectly normal an infraestrutcture to be ready awaiting for months if not years until opened to the public. Mysteries of election's calendars.
You actually believe that shit?
It's no longer the Old World; it's the Sclerotic World… :(

(About your link: Breaking news is usually wrong, about almost everything… Except the gullibility of those who consume it.)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #344
You actually believe that shit?

I don't "believe", I'm telling you how things are.

As for my link, I didn't even noticed from where it is since I had to go to "your part of internet", meaning English spoken,  cause you know no other language. English sources are all the same.

Forced demolishions are common in China, so no surprise.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #345
It's the wonder of multiple budgets. In this case there doesn't seem to be any EU funding, but Prague has recently opened three stations on the way to Václav Havel airport. In the closest one to the airport the planners "forgot" to install elevators. They claimed that when they got the funding from the city, country, and particularly the EU, they didn't dare to change the plans even when they were faulty. Solution? Hire some strappy men to carry the luggage up/down the stairs, and get the elevator on the city budget at a later date.

The hospital in question is in Andalucia, Southern Spain. I imagine there would be some sneering involved. Andalucia does not have high status in Spain, at least among the sneering classes. It would be something similar to Arkansas or... Mississippi in the US, or Henan province in China, the site of the enthusiastic demolition attempt.

Heads will roll, though fortunately the only ones hurt were the ones that were already dead. MSF were not so lucky when the Americans decided to demolish a hospital.

Reply #346
Is this cogent analysis?
进行 ...

Reply #347
Is this cogent analysis?

"was Senior Economist for International Affairs in the White House's Council of Economic Advisers during the Clinton Administration. He has worked for the International Monetary Fund, the US Feder…"

This is not an analysis, it's propaganda.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #348
"was Senior Economist for International Affairs in the White House's Council of Economic Advisers during the Clinton Administration. He has worked for the International Monetary Fund, the US Feder…"
I suspect that's as far as you read, Bel

Was Portugal ever under Islamic rule?

Here's a more interesting question: Would Portugal prefer to join the Caliphate or be kicked out of the EU? :) Those are pretty much your only options, aren't they?
But why, I ask you, should Portugal not be an independent country?
You know more answers to this question than I do. And I'm disinterested.
进行 ...

Reply #349

Is this cogent analysis?

I read a bit further than the guys credentials. It's all bad as far as I read it. His credentials partly overlap with mine (in my case the Estonian equivalent of it), so I know he is in propaganda business, because I used to have a similar job for a while.

The first paragraph is a list of so-called facts distorted by narrow perspective. It's designed to confuse the reader. The rest is silly speculation. If you buy the first paragraph, you buy too much.

The main point of the article is true - Europe is not united. And it may officially fall apart. But not in the way and not for the reasons cited. The thing is, European Union was never properly united. Every member is using its sluggish bureaucracy, technocratic force, and dripping finances for their own selfish purposes. And it seems to serve everybody's selfish purposes, no matter how contradictory, rather well, therefore the EU will stand for the foreseeable future. There's no Grexit or Brexit in sight.