Skip to main content
Topic: What's Going on in Europe (Read 254229 times)

Re: What's Going on in Europe

Reply #100
Is this some common misspelling of Norilsk? Norilsk is not in Europe. And I'm not debating.
Just a typo for Vorkuta. As for Norilsk, Siberia is kind of honorary Europe, just like Eurobodalla.

Reply #101
Incidentally, that led me to this list of the worst polluted places on earth.

http://www.blacksmithinstitute.org/new-report-cites-the-world-s-worst-polluted-places.html

http://www.worstpolluted.org/

Agbogbloshie Dumpsite, Ghana
Chernobyl, Ukraine
Citarum River, Indonesia
Dzerzhinsk, Russia
Hazaribagh, Bangladesh
Kabwe, Zambia
Kalimantan, Indonesia
Matanza-Riachuelo, Argentina
Niger River Delta, Nigeria
Norilsk, Russia

Reply #102
I would take such lists with a pinch of salt. Wonder how much political substrate such lists have.
Fukushima which is said to be even worse than the Chernobyl catastrophe didn't make it into the list.

BTW,
Top CO2 polluters and highest per capita

Reply #103
Nice, let's see what Wiki-Google can show.

Agbogbloshie, Ghana (digital dumping district)

Chernobyl, Ukraine (nature reserve)

Citarum River (effluent disposal estuary)

Dzerzhinsk, Russia (Disputed chemical disposal city)

Hazaribagh Thana, Bangladesh (a tanning district)

(Disclaimer: Pictures were made and picked for effect rather than realism)
((Disclaimer elucidation: Not only are pictures selected for drama and human angle and misleading, many of these pictures are attributed to wrong places, even by presumed reputable media outlets.))

Reply #104

I would take such lists with a pinch of salt. Wonder how much political substrate such lists have.

That I fully agree with.
Fukushima which is said to be even worse than the Chernobyl catastrophe didn't make it into the list.

Technically that statement is correct, Fukushima is said to be even worse than Chernobyl. That statement however is an outright lie.

Reply #105
I would take such lists with a pinch of salt.

Naturally. But it's not like they're secretive about their methodology.

Actually it did make it into the document.
Quote from: Introduction, p. 5
Disaster sites are no longer specifically identified in Green Cross and Blacksmith operations but, sadly, accidents continue to occur, with Fukushima a lesson against complacency in regard to our ability to design and manage successfully large and hazardous operations. Consequently, this years report also addresses the industries identified over recent years as the top polluters globally and provides illustrations of the level of disease burden attributable to toxic pollution at some typical sites.

On p. 15 there's a special section on Fukishima.

Reply #106
And one on sashimi, my favorite Japanese food.

Reply #108
Don't take me around in circles.

Reply #109
Sashimi is definitely going on in Europe, though at least in Stockholm dumplings have taken over some of that culinary niche.

Reply #110
Speaking of sashimi, here's a map:

Reply #111

What's Going on in Europe

Quote from: the Homeric hymn to Apollo (522 B.C.E. or earlier)
Telphusa, here I am minded to make a glorious temple, an oracle for men, and hither they will always bring perfect hecatombs, both those who live in rich Peloponnesus and those of Europe and all the wave-washed isles, coming to seek oracles.

Reply #113
Sometimes what is written were intended to be taken quite literally.

We were speaking of sashimi, and there there was a map of milk consumption. As Europeans drink a lot of milk, relatively and absolutely, this is an ongoing process, and thus on topic.

Politicians lie in cast-iron sinks.

Reply #114
Alcohol consumption?

Reply #115
No, coffee consumption.

Reply #116
No, fish consumption.

Reply #117
The United States would be more interesting if it were split up a bit more, but I'm surprised how comparatively low it is around here.

For me, fish probably makes up more than 30% of animal protein. It's hard to say though. I irregularly eat fish and eggs, while I eat cheese daily.

Reply #118
My mother used to say that fish gave brains.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #123
Oh, I well enough knew that you or the Michigan man would come up with such a reposte, Belfrager. I did she was a solid Protestant so naturally didn't need a lot of fish to have brain power. Fishing is still a big thing in Portugal........!
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #124
Whatever are you talking about?