Skip to main content
Topic: How To Sit (Read 17218 times)

How To Sit

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D28-L8B2Sek[/video]

Where do you get decent stools, anyway?

Re: How To Sit

Reply #1
The chair should have no arm support, so as to enable the correct seated posture. At work I sit approximately this way

Reply #2
As someone who has had 2 back operations I know a thing or two first hand about sore backs.

That video gave some good tips vis-a-vis the work environment.

Here's another one - put your phone away from the desk so you have to get up to answer it.

Reply #3
Buttocks are not made for being crushed - constantly - against the bench or whatever.
To sit is not 'how' - to sit is dangerous.
Ancient Greeks, as it goes, reportedly lay while eating; or maybe only the upper class, no idea...
Anyway, a healthy hunter - who can imagine him stomping his buttocks against a horizontal surface for minutes? HOURS!? Nah!..
These hemispheres are part of the human's dynamic machinery! They look awesome of a person who uses them not to press the chair but to move his body! The hunter could sit squat - awaiting the game to appear, or maybe kneel for a while! And then run, kill a mammoth, run with the mammoth on his shoulder to his hut, slap his wife's buttocks, telling "Hrrr, wif! I brng yu za mummut!"

Reply #5
Ancient Greeks, as it goes, reportedly lay while eating; or maybe only the upper class, no idea...

To lay too much has many of the same problems. That being said, my parents jokingly call me a reincarnated Roman because I prefer to lie down while reading etc. as opposed to sitting.

On an unrelated note, I was once asked why I sat with my back so straight. An odd question, I thought.

Reply #6

Anyway, a healthy hunter - who can imagine him stomping his buttocks against a horizontal surface for minutes? HOURS!? Nah!..

Greeks may have laid down, but in Asia people have found ways to sit for long (days, months!) without adverse consequences. Westerners don't find these postures comfy, however, and tend to not take sitting so well.

But you showed another good solution: If you can't sit, then stand. In the middle ages scholars read and wrote while standing at a lectern. The standing posture should be somewhat in Western genes now.

Reply #7
On the other hand, if sitting was really bad for us, according to evolution we would not be able to do it.

Reply #11
Westerners don't find these postures comfy, however, and tend to not take sitting so well.

If you're talking about sitting with crossed legs, that's fairly comfy. However, I prefer the simple types of wooden benches in Japanese restaurants.

On the other hand, if sitting was really bad for us, according to evolution we would not be able to do it.

The real problem is a lack of movement, probably not a specific posture as such.

Reply #12
Like this one in Tokyo...some benches.

I know what you mean, though, because I've been in tiny Japanese restaurants in Japan. Good food, modest setting. I used to get that "What are you doing here?" look.

Reply #13
I've never been to Japan. :P

Reply #14
I've never been to Japan.

While I have, I never dined at that restaurant...I doubt that it was there in 1957 and 1962. The one's I ate in were of the bench variety. I'm still a fan of sushi and sashimi, but the local variety is substandard.

I'd love to visit this restaurant, sitting or standing.

A dinner at Kitcho can run $600 plus...don't forget the tip.

Reply #15
I say to my dog sit and he sits. Simple as that.
I'm naturally the leader of the pack.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #16
I probably sit way too much. Especially at work. I have to stop now and then, get out and walk around-- or I could become stiff when I finally get the job to its destination.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #19
She doesn't look like someone who eats "that much food" "for three hours".

Reply #21
If I doubled my food intake one might imagine there'd be more consequences than twice the poop. :right:

Reply #22
I'm probably the worst at proper body mechanics while sitting. Sitting straight for a prolonged period of time hurts my back. I have tried to train my back some to where I can sit straight longer, however, it's not as long as it should be.

Reply #23
Okay dookie. Eventually I'm sitting all wrong with my legs crossed and the back of chair tilted. Let me fix that....ow, my back!

Reply #24
Haha! I sense sarcasm. At any rate, it's torturous at first but the more you engage yourself to do it the better your posture does get. I've noticed that I walk a little straighter. I was notorious for always walking with my head down. Over the years, I realized that isn't the case anymore.