Skip to main content
Topic: Hobbies and Whatever (Read 25930 times)

Re: Hobbies and Whatever

Reply #50
Discussing is fine Josh. Commenting about another members use (or lack of) punctuation is not.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #51
Perhaps commenting on punctuation could be a thread in H&E? :P

Anyway, it seems to me you can that say the same thing about crafts as about hobbies if you're inclined to take a negative view about activities that don't (directly) bring in any money.

Reply #52
It's unimportant and even irrelevant if it brings money or not if you, say, discuss some basic techniques or like that.
The basics are the same - you saw the OP (didn't you?).

Reply #54

Anyway, it seems to me you can that say the same thing about crafts as about hobbies if you're inclined to take a negative view about activities that don't (directly) bring in any money.

Even that sorta depends. People build dollhouses for fun, other people build dollhouses for profit. Same materials, but if you expect somebody else to buy your dollhouse you'll have to put better craftsmanship into it.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #57

Even that sorta depends. People build dollhouses for fun, other people build dollhouses for profit. Same materials, but if you expect somebody else to buy your dollhouse you'll have to put better craftsmanship into it.

Or make what others like ( and pay money for ) instead of what you like. There goes the hobby.

Reply #58
What about construction/building, renovation/refurbishing and that sort? Is building a house for yourself a hobby? Unpaid - but not.
Then planting. I don't ever count it as a hobby. Because if planting is just a hobby for somebody, that means that they don't actually care for the cared - it's like having a dog for fun, for enjoying yourself, which is wrong by default.

Reply #59
Josh, do you have any idea what effort some people put into their hobbies? You make it sound like something somebody does and then forgets about. For some people it is that, but for others their hobby is pretty serious. You might spend a little bit of time learning the difference before you anger somebody who is building a model of a B-17 and has troubled himself to get it exactly as the Memphis Belle looked on its final mission over Germany.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #60
I know your hobby is pretty serious, Mike.  Just the usual meaning of the word (especially when coupled with "entertainment", huh?)...
So what about just naming it that "Hobbies and Whatever" instead of all that brainstorm, and that'll be it. :idea:

Reply #61
So what about just naming it that "Hobbies and Whatever" instead of all that brainstorm, and that'll be it.

No one has a problem with what it's called except for you.
Heed strings wise words.
The discussion about the title has come and gone, it's decided. Try and live with it.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #63
They are not wise.

Nothing is wise if it goes against your opinion. Life's not fair, but that's how it goes.

And they have already been tried to argue with. Though the post was deleted soon.

There was no attempt to argue, it was a puerile comment about punctuation and nothing more.

Reply #64
Nothing is wise if it goes against your opinion.
My "opinion" was chewed in that first post.
String didn't get the right idea, then "was wise" about something else he thought my post had been about.
There was no attempt to argue, it was a puerile comment about punctuation and nothing more.
Partially it's true.
Except for the fact ("oh! who cares - opinion!") that I noticed string hadn't got the idea in it. Besides punctuation (which is crucial "in case" our forum language is English and not a Himbuktu).

Reply #65
Besides punctuation (which is crucial "in case" our forum language is English and not a Himbuktu).

Punctuation like grammar, doesn't need to be pointed out, commented on, corrected or highlighted by you or anyone else. Regardless if the forum language is English or not. People make mistakes when typing, live with it, don't let it bother you and don't make an issue of it.
Now may I suggest (before you take a step too far) you use the forum as it's intended and let others enjoy the same.

Reply #66
Since this thread seems to be about name calling, namely what to call a sub-forum, "& entertainment" doesn't scan that well to me either.

What about: Hobbies & amusements

One being what you do, the other what you get.

amuse
late 15c., from M.Fr. amuser "divert, cause to muse," from a "at, to" (but here probably a causal prefix) + muser "ponder, stare fixedly." Sense of "divert from serious business, tickle the fancy of" is recorded from 1630s, but through 18c. the primary meaning was "deceive, cheat" by first occupying the attention. Bemuse retains more of the original meaning.

It is largely a synonym for entertainment, but matches hobbies and the theme (?) better.

Reply #67
I'm not opposed to calling it something quirkier either; e.g., Handicrafts & Amusements. However, I still don't understand the "just a hobby" objection. It seems to me that someone who'd say that would also say it's "just arts and crafts" or "just handicraft" etc.

Reply #68
Whatever . . .
;)

Seriously though, it doesn't really matter, there will always be some novel pursuit which does not fit into the title.