Skip to main content
Topic: Hobbies and Whatever (Read 25932 times)

Re: Hobbies and Whatever

Reply #25
I say "Hobby versus General Knowledge".
There are ACTIVITIES! And each one particular guy considers a certain activity subjectively.
And after all, separating any dedicated area makes sense after a crucial number of potential participants has achieved. While for now - what do you have? Is there any at all group of users here to hold a similar interest in whatever other than politics or joshing at each other?;)

I refer you to what I wrote in the OP.
The purpose of this thread is to test out the idea before it's implemented to see whether the membership likes the idea and how much support it would be likely to get.

So please stop stating something which was already stressed at the beginning.

As for your other remarks, in as much as I can decipherer what you've written, the character of any discourse on a Hobby/pastime, whether it is gun collecting or playing the violin is likely to be quite different to the sort of moralising that goes on in DnD Central in that it would be a place for enthusiasts to swap experiences on a shared passion away from moral or political judgements or whimsical side issues.

Reply #26
We have "The Lounge". I myself consider the area as it is already outlined by the Creator (not god yet): "light-hearted" discussions. So the "Hobbies" is already covered by that - unless you want a "child board" there...

Reply #28
Speaking as a person who has built and operates radio-controlled boats, I wonder if a "Hobbies" board would attract enough interest to keep it worth its while. It might be something to make it a sub-forum of the Lounge and see how it goes, I suppose.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #29
I am all for a Hobbies section. Games too.

For instance, as @String has alluded to, SF and I have/collect guns.
Video gaming is also fairly popular, and would make a great addition/subforum to the Hobbies section. (Note, I don't have the time I used to, to play them, but I still have a fairly good knowledge on gaming).

So, count me in as a "Yea" vote on the Hobbies section proposed by @String.

Reply #32
Based on all the opinions expressed and although it's confirmed that participation will be slow, I think it worthwhile trying this and seeing if it develops over time.

Reply #33
I think it worthwhile trying this and seeing if it develops over time.

Yep! If it doesn't gather any interest then I'm sure Frenzie can make it disappear as quickly as it appeared, without any problem.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #34
Arguing against this "Whatever" -- I KNEW you were destined to misuse it.
All the fucking Sanctuary is mere entertainment - with some minor exception of a couple of boards on tech issues.
What does "beer" do in the "Central", for instance? Really? The entire fucking Lounge is pure entertainment...
You created the board - and didn't think about consequences... Nor that that was a mere duplication of what we had already had. :hao:

Reply #35
Misuse - what misuse? You are not being very clear.

You are entitled to your opinion of course but I wish you would be more polite about it.

Reply #36
Josh you are being just a wee bit over dramatic about a thread that was moved to the correct board.
Nobody died, worse things happen at sea etc.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #38
The Lounge is entertainment, but it's not about entertainment. More specifically, in The Lounge you might play the stupid question, stupid answer game, while in H&E you'd talk about how pleasurable it is to satisfy your id's unconscious desires while participating. (Disregarding for the sake of argument that Freud was a quack.)

Reply #39
I think we may need a forum for nothing but meta-discussions ( although that would qualify as a hobby for some, and as entertainment for others ) :left:

Reply #40

Misuse - what misuse? You are not being very clear.

You are entitled to your opinion of course but I wish you would be more polite about it.

When the web was new, half the world's adolescents rushed to post unimaginative bursts of NAUGHTY WORDS. Words that would have shocked their parents. Words that you sometimes see scratched into wet concrete pavements. Most of them soon got it out of their systems , but some never did.
Plus ça change

Reply #41
What's the problem here?

We have an administration. Administrations administrates.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #42
1. This entire site may be considered entertainment.
2. The Lounge is a marginal area between the "Entertainment" and "Central". "Light-hearted banter" may be considered by the author of a new thread with a perspective: discussing both the funny sides of the question in topic AND involving more serious aspects there too. For example, having launched a certain thread there, soon later I came across some news on the media business involved. I could've posted that in a thread in the Lounge - not being "entertainment" pure, but at the same time having the discussion "light-hearted".

Reply #43
I think we should rename the board.
1. As it is now ("H&E"), we have a topical/semantic conflict on our hands.
2. The hobbies won't suffer. Quite the opposite, they'll be adjusted with the whole spectrum of topics directly related to them and extending to 1) craftsmanship on one wing 2) and the Arts - on the other. And they won't be messed up with entertainment - which already is and have ALWAYS been covered in the Lounge.
Reasons: e.g., a guy interested in photography, can be whoever he is, for example, an artist, or an amateur, or a technician being in with the huge lot of that technical stuff involved (cameras, focuses, pixels, brands, optics, whatnot); e.g., a guy interested in music, may be 1) a listener, 2) an amateur, 3) a professional whoever (cellist, singer, name it), 4) a businessman in the industry, etc., etc., etc. Well, now if we have the board renamed, there won't be any conflict in creating all sorts of DIY, craftsmanship and artist topics in it, nor any derision as to be considered "just a hobbyist".

My variants are in the poll created in an irrelevant thread.
For example, we could have the board named "Hobbies and Crafts" (without arts for now), or "Arts, Crafts & Hobbies".:)

Reply #44
We could just leave it the way it is. "Hobbies and Entertainment" works well enough, whether you're building a dollhouse replica of the Kremlin (why you would want to do that is beyond me, but to each his own) or spout off about the new Godzilla movie-- it fits.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #46
Basic skills are the same in any art and craftsmanship area - for a pro and amateur. Whether it's music, radiodevices' construction, whatnot.
And I see Arts not pertaining to entertainment - but rather to human culture. And spirit.
Say, Michael, is gospel entertainment?
And media business is not so much entertaining - being a business, enterprise. Think about news broadcasting?
Is broadcasting news a sort of entertainment?

Reply #47
@Josh/lincoln - everyone is entitled to an opinion but please stop flogging this dead horse; this thread is about Hobbies, not Hobby Horses, and going on and on about the same boring argument is really tiresome.

The discussion about the title has come and gone, it's decided. Try and live with it.

Reply #48
THE discussion is not over, you saw my post, and ********************, or in plain words, relax and ****.

Reply #49
 A user can report a post, but a user can't report a post's absence. But in this case I am reporting it right here right now.
If somebody's unable to discuss any other "way" than deleting questions etc., ***** and that person should not show up before my eyes ever any more. Full stop.